SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_27243269

Advice for finding a marriage counselor

User
7 years ago

Hoping to draw upon the collective wisdom of this group. My husband and I have a very difficult marriage, but have agreed to pursue marriage counseling. We've been married 18 years and this will be our first foray into counseling. I've researched and learned the standard advice about finding a good marriage counselor (training and credentials, approaches, etc.) but wanted to see if anyone here had advice for how to find a compatible, effective marriage counselor.

A few disclaimers:

1. Get personal recommendations? We can't. Only 2 of my friends know we're experiencing marital problems. One has never had counseling, and the other's counselor (who she would recommend) is 2 hours away from us. That distance is not feasible for us.

2. We won't research based on religious recommendation. I do not believe a religious-based counselor would work for us.

3. We are both a bit "therapy-leery." Our examples of family and friends who have sought therapy are not good. It's not that they haven't found competent counselors, but rather the patient shops around for a counselor who says what they want to hear. In our case, the counselor will have to be very neutral, not take sides, and take both of us into consideration. How do we find that?

We both acknowledge this is a last resort for us. We are skeptical but we have children and agree that they are worth it for us to pursue this path.

Any advice? One thing is for sure--our counselor is going to get a run for their money.

Comments (38)