SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raee_gw

Grr, D**n deer stole my apples!

I have been anxiously monitoring my 4 small potted trees for ripeness -- this is the first year for getting any fruit. Had already picked the single Haralson that ripened; there were still about 8 small winecrisps, 2 large goldrush and a snowsweet, all still in their protective baggies.

Looked out the window this morning to see apples on the ground. Every single apple had been stripped from the trees, the goldrush and snowsweet were completely gone (empty, ripped open baggies found); the remaining winecrisps had obviously been bitten through the baggies but the plastic held so they were not eaten.

From the size of the bites and lack of teeth marks I suspect deer, although we have possums and raccoons also. I'd managed to keep them out all summer and had gotten complacent -- had removed the 5' wire garden fencing around the cluster of pots. And I guess the heavy rains of Thurs/Fri had washed away the repellent.

The culprits didn't get to my Sundance since it is protected, with the blueberries, behind netting strung on a gazebo frame. But I need to go survey for damage to the cherries and other trees.

Guess I will be making a small cobbler with the survivors tonight. BTW, this is my first taste of Winecrisp and I really like it! Stayman Winesap was always my favorite as a child.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus