SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tlhorne

Grout Advice for Polished Marble Tile - Pre-Mixed Ok?

tlhorne
7 years ago

Hi All! I have a question - we've installed Polished Carrara Marble Subway tile backsplash in the kitchen. The joints are 1/16" and I know that an unsanded grout should technically be used. After researching a lot, it seems that there can be some color inconsistencies in the grout, if the unsanded grout is not mixed perfectly. My preference would be to use a pre-mixed grout like the Flexcolor cq, Tec powerGrout 550, or Plasma; however, I'm VERY concerned that it might scratch the polished marble tiles. I will definitely be doing a test area; BUT, I don't want to have to buy all 3 grouts to see which one doesn't scratch. I'm wondering if anyone has used any of those 3 pre-mixed ones on polished marble with great results (no scratching, no picture framing stains etc). Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I've been putting off buying the grout for these reasons and we need to get it done.

Oh, and If its not recommended to use a pre-mixed grout for marble tile, can anyone recommend a great unsanded grout to use that will not have color consistency issues? Cost isn't a factor - I want to buy the best and only the best as this project has cost us a lot of money already, it looks beautiful and I don't want it ruined with the wrong grout choice. My first thought was to use Tec Accucolor; but, not sure if it has color inconsistencies if mixed incorrectly, or too much water is used on wipe off? Thanks so much!

Comments (6)