SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reets22

Any expressions that irk you?

seniorgal
7 years ago

Every day I am offered a "free gift' by someone somewhere.

If it is a gift I'd assume it is automatically "free" to me.

Comments (192)

• Bluebell66
    7 years ago

"All the feels"

"I have heart eyes"

I agree with you "so hard"

UGH.

• pudgeder
    7 years ago

"Baby Daddy."

**ugh**

• Related Discussions

Any pictures of Starlight Express???

Q

Comments (3)
    Hey guys Matt King here (aka Trax) just thought you guys might be interested in my new group, I have set it up for Past and present starlight cast and crew to contact each other, but fans of the show are more than welcome to join the address is: http://groups.myspace.com/STARLIGHTEXPRESSUKTOUR P.S when you sign up why not click on "view all topics" in the forum section and post a little about yourself in the new member post. Here is a link that might be useful: my space group
    ...See More

Another Silly "This Irks Me" Thread

Q

Comments (54)
    In the words category, boughten instead of bought, pleaded instead of pled,and broke instead of broken. For example, This skirt was boughten at the mall. He has pleaded guilty. The necklace was broke when I got home. National news people say these all the time. I get "irked" at children running around in a restaurant. Parents who are so engrossed in their phones they don't acknowledge their children. Dirty coats and snotty noses on little ones. People that "test" the grapes at the grocery store. First of all, isn't that stealing? Secondly, puhleezzz, it is not washed! I do feel better now. Thank you.
    ...See More

Fresh Express recall...did you hear about this?

Q

Comments (13)
    "Wanting to remove ourselves from our actual food sources is a much bigger health threat". If someone prefers to buy, cut, wash and prepare their own salad as opposed to buying bags that are at a higher risk of critters, bacteria and chemical preservatives and who knows what else, how is that a bigger health threat? Sure, fresh veggies have stuff too, but the less it's handled by producers the better. I'm not by any means a germophobe for myself because I have a healthy immune system and believe we need to be exposed to a variety of elements to keep that intact, but I'm really confused by your statement. Can you expand on it please? I mean historically people did just fine without bagged salads so how is it different now?
    ...See More

OT......Do you have favorite expressions ?

Q

Comments (28)
    Yoyo, it was always used in a derogatory way of some woman with dubious morals, as Vee said. Sometimes unfairly and in a catty tone. If the woman was within hearing distance, the person uttering the phrase might find themselves in trouble and get a sharp slap in the face! A good character was important and not to be treated lightly.
    ...See More
  • phyllis__mn
    7 years ago

....and using a heart in place of love or like! I'm getting to be an old curmudgeon reacting to some of these phrases! I also dislike news people standing, or sitting on a couch, etc. Get behind that desk!

• artemis_ma
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

"Everything happens for a reason" -- this one is GUARANTEED to make me consider extreme violence for a split second, or so. It's usually offered by "well-meaning" sanctimonious people who have no clue as what to say when confronted with something of tragic (or at least, seriously-unpleasant) proportions.

Not fond of: "irregardless", "my bad", and a bunch of HR-style expressions that I'm trying to blank my mind from since retirement this past summer.

And since this is a home improvement site, "dated" should be reserved for, say, my current kitchen: My current kitchen is dated -- it has one outlet for appliances other than the fridge, and I'm constantly changing electrical cords in and out to cook. And the range is running on a 40 amp circuit when the range is rated for 50 amps. (I'm okay if I don't run all the elements AND the oven at once, they tell me...) Having white appliances or quality Formica instead of HGTV-approved stainless steel and granite is NOT dated. It might not be visually appealing to everyone (just as SS is not always appealing to me), but it is NOT "dated". "Dated" sincerely needs to be relegated to functionality. Not HGTV.

"Littles". I was taller than Mom when I turned 11. And she was 5 foot 7.

I have no problem with "thank you in advance" when it is in correspondence where you are asking for a response that will assist you. And if they come through, of course, I THANK them AFTER. (I can't picture the expression in person.) It is not an expression I use in correspondence with friends, but it is handy (and is meant) when conducting business. At least on my part.

• jae_tn2
    7 years ago

"it is what it is"........One of my adult sons says this to me. I think he does it to change a subject with me when I'm trying to make sense out of something that doesn't make sense, lol. And "lol" drives my brother crazy so I think of him whenever I use it. There are certainly lot's of others who don't like it so I will apologize to those here who might dislike it as intensely as he.

• chisue
    7 years ago

OK, I'll put on my asbestos underwear for replies to this, but I will never understand the survivor of a disaster thanking a god for sparing her.

• aok27502
    7 years ago

I guess these aren't really expressions, but they irk me anyway. In frequent news stories, the headline will say "family seeks answers" for the murder, or crash, or arrest, or whatever. Really? What family doesn't seek answers for something so far unexplained. Did anyone think they would say "meh, whatevs."

I really, really dislike text speak. Using 'u' or 'ur' as shortcuts for 'you' and 'you are'. It's bad enough in text messages, but really awful in forum posts and other written text. I understand that typos happen, and conversation is casual, but 'hope ur having a great day' just really grates on me.

• Elizabeth
    7 years ago

Any statement that precedes, " I am just being honest". Or, "don't take this the wrong way".

• chisue
    7 years ago

"Vacay". Is this Valley Girl for 'vacation'? (If that's too long for you, just say 'trip'.)

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    7 years ago

Good thread!

Oh ugh! "Just kidding" used after saying something rude & insulting - blecchh = P

I hate 'all of the sudden' instead of 'all of a sudden' - & I most often hear it being said by people speaking on tv, radio, or podcasts, not in person. I feel they should know better; it sounds so dumb.

Oh & 'critics say' in news reporting & commentary gets under my skin as well. How much more effort &/or time to explain exactly who says?

Mother was an English major, if that's any excuse.

• chisue
    7 years ago

"Shots rang out!" Um, there was gunfire?

• bengardening
    7 years ago

I don't think this will qualify as an expression. One thing that really bothers me is when people say betroom instead of bedroom. I notice it a lot on HGTV on the realtor shows. If you look at the word does it even spell or sound out as betroom. You would think if you were a realtor you would know how to say it.

• arkansas girl
    7 years ago

Well then how about "cur-ins" and "bu-ins" instead of curtains and buttons. Drives me bonkers.

• User
    7 years ago

Add me to the list of those who LITERALLY cringe when I hear the word LITERALLY. It seems to me that probably a good 95% of the time, the word is just totally superfluous. As in, I cringe when I hear the word literally. :)

• pekemom
    7 years ago

Agree with Artemis on "everything happens for a reason"......some awful things happen, people hurting others, people suffering...don't get me started.....

• Embothrium
    7 years ago

Longtime gardening media personality here used to say "is what we do is" on his TV show.

Are you 5 years old?

• Kessala M
    7 years ago

They're a beautiful person "inside and out". All I can think is do you really know what their insides look like? The blood, the organs, the bones? Not exactly beautiful. Yes, I know what the speaker's getting at. I just detest the phrase.

How about "take and put that over there". Leave out the word "take" for heaven's sake!

Kessala

• bossyvossy
    7 years ago

I have greatly enjoyed reading about irritating phrases. Ditto on just about all of them. But, imagine for a moment, a bunch of stodgy, educated Englishmen, the type that spoke and wrote in the Beowulf manner. What would they say about the way we speak and write? Yes, the "us" that are now cringing over no prob, baby daddy, me and my husband, amazeballs, ad nauseum, ha ha. I think language just evolves, so not always a direct result of ignorance.

• sealavender
    7 years ago

"Where are you at?" Ugh.

• Kessala M
    7 years ago

How about "he ran out the store", "he got out the car". What happened to the word "of"?

"Ax" instead of ask.

Kessala

• pekemom
    7 years ago

Agreeing with "real people, not actors".....also "we're pregnant".....you are both going to be parents but, no, you are not both pregnant, carrying a baby.

• bengardening
    7 years ago

o yes Kessala I forgot about ax

• MB Likey
    7 years ago

I

• tete_a_tete
    7 years ago

More annoying than annoying phrases are the really annoying VOICES and that rough, deep throaty rrrgghhh that so many if not all females on TV use these days. Sorry, that was probably poor grammar, and bad grammar is annoying, but ... I can't take that silly throaty, gravelly fake voice that I keep hearing.

• winker58
    7 years ago

"At the end of the day" bugs me and I am not even sure why.

• bob_cville
    7 years ago

Years ago after the small game programming company that I worked at was bought out by a much larger company, the newly appointed president of the division our studio was placed under would fly in from out-of-town every couple of months and sometimes as a part of his visit would hold an all-staff meeting. He would stand at the podium spouting buzzword after buzzword, strung together in meaningless empty phrases that I guess were supposed to impress us or motivate us or convince us he had even the slightest idea what he was talking about.

Before one of these, a friend of mine printed several bingo cards containing many of the president's favorite buzzwords, or corporate-speak phrases, like "utilize", or "grow the user base", or "incentify" or many others. At one point the president uttered "... in a going forward manner ... " and one of my co-workers shouted "BINGO".

• amicus
    7 years ago

Good one bob!

• amicus
    7 years ago

arkansas, I notice some people also drop the middle 't' from important.

I try not to let mispronunciations faze me, as people may not be too lazy to pronounce something correctly, but simply can't get their tongue to produce the same sound they are hearing. I admit I still have a little internal cringe when I hear certain mispronunciations, but don't let on outwardly.

Dr. Travis on 'The Doctors' has a few that I can't help noticing. He always changes words with 'ink' to 'eenk' (pink to peenk) and words with 'ing' to 'een' (feeling to feeleen) and words with 'str' to 'shtr' so that 'strong' and 'street' become 'shtrong' and 'shtreet.' Tyra Banks does the same to 'str' words.

My DH gets a big laugh when I try to say a simple "Happy Birthday" or such, to his father, in their dialect. Clearly I'm dong a terrible job of mimicking the sound I think I'm hearing!

• Elmer J Fudd
    7 years ago

What some refer to as "corporate-speak" started infiltrating many workplaces a few decades ago. "We'll take this off-line but there's noise in the system and we need to grow the interest and energize stakeholders". It's meaningless blah blah. I'm not sure how much of it originated in the tech world where colorful, dramatic speech appeared in the dot com years but I think much of it did.

In the early aught years, my office was to be visited by one of the firm's leaders who was known for being chatty while saying nothing comprehensible. I found and clandestinely placed "buzzword bingo" sheets on the desks where we would be sitting to listen to this guy's presentation. It was a hit and long talked about after the event. The speaker didn't understand why so many seemed to be giggling while making notes on single sheets of paper during his presentation.

• Anne
    7 years ago

I kinda like
    "We're pregnant" . I am divorced from baby Daddy but I liked him being involved.

• anoriginal
    7 years ago

"Hacks" makes me a little crazy. Will The "helpful hints" from Heloise become her HACKS?

Misuse of "literally" has apparently been deemed acceptable by some?? WHY? When a HS student was moaning that she "literally died" over the weekend... it just came out of my head... "well, that explains the smell"... took a while for them to get it?!?

I don't often correct but sometimes feel somebody should TELL someone if they're mangling the English language. I know there are area "dialects"... in my area that canine pet is a "dawg"... Philly influence. And it drinks "wooder". Not wrong, just a different pronunciation. BUT if someone says "pitcher" or "pixture" and means a photograph ... well, that's just not correct.

Bugs a little on how "who" and "that" are used/misused?? I may be wrong, but think if referring to a person you use who and referring to a thing you use that? Like the man WHO hit my car nt man THAT hit my car??

And when someone asked "do you mind if I... whatever". If it's OK with you then you should NOT be saying "yes"... should be NO, I don't mind.

• gamom
    7 years ago

LOL - Klseiverd — agree with everything you said but as a GRIT — Girl Raised the the South (Ga, as evidenced by my name), I had to laugh at "Dawg." We're huge supporters of the University of Georgia Bulldogs and we "love us some Dawgs" (2 syllable word). Took me a second to figure out "wooder." Here it's "wah-ta" or sometimes an R gets thrown in — Warter. I have a friend who "warshes" her clothes — drives me crazy.

I know you didn't mention "we're pregnant," but I always want to say "No, we conceived; WE'RE not pregnant, your wife or 'baby mama' is."

• Rina
    7 years ago

The usually competent radio station I listen to (in S Africa) has the habit, in news broadcasts, of saying that people have 'vowed' to do something that they have merely stated an intention of doing. I growl.

"Dialogue" instead of "talk". Are you happy with that one, or shall we dialogue further?

There's another way of misusing "literally", as though it meant "simply" -- I came across it some years ago as common in British how-to programmes. The sort of thing where a craftsy type takes a perfectly decent kitchen table and turns it into something truly hideous, all the while saying things like: "... and then you literally just put a stripe of glue across the top and literally sprinkle the glitter on the glue ..." I can't imagine how one would metaphorically sprinkle the glitter on the glue.

On the other hand, I rather like "no problem" and "no worries", they smack to me of summertime and the living is easy. They're warm and friendly. I even quite like "my bad", as I see it as being in the same vein as putting on your "innocent little me" face. I say "mea culpa" and people look at me squiff. Squiffly.

• Elizabeth
    7 years ago

"I feel so badly that....." I know a woman who is a vicious gossip who precedes her stories with this phrase in a pitying tone. I cringe.

• Annegriet
    7 years ago

"double-down"--used by pundits all the time.

• Gigi Johnson
    7 years ago

My bad

• DawnInCal
    7 years ago

"I feel you" drives me bonkers! No, you do not feel me; you feel for me. Please don't feel me!

• maggie200
    7 years ago

Kelly Ripa is the leader in using "like" in the middle of sentences. That used to be Valley Girl Talk. Every teenager uses it and adults too.

• maggie200
    7 years ago

My great respect for our servicemen makes be bring the following up. "Thank you for your service." I wish people would explain their respect for them by using their own words. "I'm sorry for your loss" didn't comfort me a bit. With that one I'll add I would rather receive hand written cards than one written by Hallmark.

• bry911
    7 years ago

I was watching a news program the other day, when the talking head clearly said, "he has a tough road to hoe." I think hoeing any road would be pretty darned tough. The expression is clearly supposed to be "a tough row to hoe," yet I constantly hear people say it as road.

• Annegriet
    7 years ago

That's pretty funny bry911.

• anoriginal
    7 years ago

You do "on purpose" but not "ON accident"?!?

• Elizabeth
    7 years ago

I had forgotten "on accident" It does grate my nerves too,

• Jmc101
    7 years ago

I myself think.

She herself thinks.

They themselves think.

Using myself, herself, themselves sounds dumb to me and is so redundant. Once the speaker says I or she or they, it's pretty clear to me who is being discussed.

• chisue
    7 years ago

I knew someone who would say, "I'm joking you," and "He's a police." Is that common in some part of the US? Does it derive from a foreign language?

I'm more familiar with, "I'm joking," and "He's a policeman."

• pekemom
    7 years ago

"The truck needs rewired ", had a neighbor who talked like that.

• Suzieque
    7 years ago

"No worries". I'm not sure why, but that drives me nuts. Stupid. How about "no problem"? I don't know how "no worries" became trendy but it irks me.

• lgmd_gaz
    7 years ago

"Jaw Dropping" I am sorry, but there is nothing JAW DROPPING about an over exposed Kardashian body part or anyone else's over exposed body part.

• Embothrium
    7 years ago

Unless they had jaw surgery.