Any expressions that irk you?
9 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (192)
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
Related Discussions
This type of corporate greed really irks me!!
Comments (19)Oh, I see...I don't know why I didn't get that when you said "Consumers gripe about C/S rates", that you actually meant "the homebirth, unattended birth, etc who are the first to point blame at the medical community for our interventions [gripe about C/S rates]"...I definitely should have gotten that. I don't even understand why gifts are offered by anyone, actually. That's an indication of the mindset-change just in itself. I will stick by my thought about the change in mindset--although it's much more evident in doctors than in nurses, because they have the most to gain. Nurses don't 'control the means of production' the way doctors do, or at least used to, before insurance came in and took *real* control. And re noticing the mindset-change: nothing I'm saying is uniquely personal to you, but rather something endemic and pretty much predetermined when 'insurance' started playing a role. The insurance industry makes money by denying claims--that's how they keep the premiums, right? So everything becomes a claim, a negotiation, a layer of commodification put between the caregivers and the patients. There's no logical way, within this conceptual framework, that patients can't become seen as 'consumers', in one way or another. It's inherent in the structure of the interactions, once insurance has stuck its nose under the tent, as it were. You frame the debate and the terminology used, and you *win*. _Don't Think of an Elephant_ shows how that's done. Anyway, lyfia, I agree with the person who said that at that price, the drug becomes almost worthless. All the price does is show how inhumanly cold-hearted the company is. So if they *don't* get sued, are they going to give retroactive rebates to all purchasers? Hey, that could be a selling point -- "buy our drug, and if you don't sue us, you'll get 95% of the cost back after a year"...nah, don't see that happening....See MoreFresh Express recall...did you hear about this?
Comments (13)"Wanting to remove ourselves from our actual food sources is a much bigger health threat". If someone prefers to buy, cut, wash and prepare their own salad as opposed to buying bags that are at a higher risk of critters, bacteria and chemical preservatives and who knows what else, how is that a bigger health threat? Sure, fresh veggies have stuff too, but the less it's handled by producers the better. I'm not by any means a germophobe for myself because I have a healthy immune system and believe we need to be exposed to a variety of elements to keep that intact, but I'm really confused by your statement. Can you expand on it please? I mean historically people did just fine without bagged salads so how is it different now?...See MoreOT......Do you have favorite expressions ?
Comments (28)Yoyo, it was always used in a derogatory way of some woman with dubious morals, as Vee said. Sometimes unfairly and in a catty tone. If the woman was within hearing distance, the person uttering the phrase might find themselves in trouble and get a sharp slap in the face! A good character was important and not to be treated lightly....See MoreWhy is this color irking me?
Comments (14)Its complicated! I'm armed with color choices from your suggestions and headed to the store for samples. Although I appreciate the rug ideas, I once loved this flooring(heck I picked it...), so I figure with 5 billion color choices out there, there has to be ONE that will make me love it again. As for the rest of the house it has the same crisp khaki color but somehow the foyer lighting is making it the yellowest right now, so I'm going to start there and slowly do other rooms, once I find something I like. Ill post new pics as I go with samples in the foyer. Thanks again everybody for the feedback. BTW its a 2 story foyer so you guys saved me BIG TIME!...See More- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
Related Stories

PRODUCT PICKSGuest Picks: 20 Mailboxes for Express Delivery of Style
Treat your mailbox like the design accessory it is, with a letterbox or mail slot that leaves boring far behind
Full Story
HOW TO PHOTOGRAPH YOUR HOUSEStep Right Up: Expressing Movement on Modern Stairs
Seeing a person on a staircase changes our perception of the design
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESExpressive Modern: The Interiors of Amy Lau
In her first book, designer Amy Lau reveals some techniques behind her signature look
Full Story
MOST POPULAR12 Key Decorating Tips to Make Any Room Better
Get a great result even without an experienced touch by following these basic design guidelines
Full Story
HOME TECHTote Your Tunes to Any Room With a Portable Wi-Fi Sound System
Free your home's music setup from wires with Wi-Fi speakers that let you take high-quality audio anywhere
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESMosaic Tile Designs That’ll Thrill You to Bits
Whether you go for simple stones or imaginative expressions, a mosaic can turn any surface into a work of art
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESKnow Your House: Post and Beam Construction Basics
Learn about this simple, direct and elegant type of wood home construction that allows for generous personal expression
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDES10 Ways to Tiptoe Out of Your Decorating Comfort Zone
Ease into waking up your space with small doses of decorating daring that express who you are right now
Full Story
BATHROOM WORKBOOKBathroom Workbook: 6 Elements of Eclectic Style
Express your unique self by mixing styles, eras and more, for a bathroom that’s full of personality
Full Story
PRODUCT PICKSGuest Picks: 20 Coasters From Cool to Classic
Let's toast to chic coasters that save your furniture and express your personal style
Full Story
donna_loomis