SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunnysunday

The jujube that never quite wanted to live...

Sunnyin SanDiego
7 years ago

I planted a bare-root Sherwood Jujube way back in January/February, which is when bare-root trees are typically planted in my climate. I gave it my typical treatment: loosening up a nice large and deep area, backfilling with pretty much our native soil, giving it a deep watering but then backing off until seeing green growth, then slowly increasing the water as needed, as well as adding fish/seaweed fertilizer to the water in low dosages and keeping the soil more dry than wet but going for deep when I did water. It's in a mulched area, but I pulled the mulch away from actually touching the trunk. We actually got a decent spring this year before the intense heat of summer hit, and the tree was planted in an area that gets full morning sun, and then dappled afternoon shade from very tall trees overhead. The tree seemed to grow lots of suckers from the rootstock, which I religiously cut off, and several thin branches with some sparse leaves toward the top grew, but the tree never really took off.

Still, I kept taking care of it as best as I knew how, but now the leaves/branches up top are starting to turn brown, dry and brittle, and dropping. The leaves go brown and crisp before any sort of turning color.

I was told that jujube trees are pretty easy, and enjoy our hot dry summers, but this one just doesn't seem like it ever really got happy. Is this the final death throes? Or should I continue to try?

Thanks for any experts' advice!

Comments (5)