SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
madman0428

Back splash - Subway Tile Spacing Issue / Question

madman0428
7 years ago

I'm planning to tile my kitchen back splash using standard 3x6 white subway tile. Normally I see that whole/uncut tiles would be laid directly along the counter line (provided that it is level). This looks nice, and allows you to place the cut tile underneath the cabinets as you work your way up.
In my kitchen, I'm not sure that will be the best approach. There is a window above the sink which measures about 6 1/2 inches from the top of my counter. If I start with a whole tile laid at the counter, I would need to cut a half inch sliver to place directly under the window sill. This is definitely an option, but somewhat undesirable.
My other thought would be to cut a 1 3/4 inch tile to run along the bottom edge, against the counter top. This would leave a matching 1 1 3/4 inch tile to place below the window. With this spacing, I'd also have a 1 1/2 inch tile hitting under my cabinets--which is inevitable anyway with the space I have.
Which approach makes more sense? Lay a full line of cut tile (1 3/4 inches) at the counter line? Or just use whole tiles and be left with a 1/2 inch sliver under the window sill?
Any help would be much appreciated!

Comments (11)