SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yeagert

Kitchen Wall Cabinet Height for 90" ceiling.

yeagert
7 years ago

Hello everyone. I am designing my new kitchen and we have rather low ceilings (90" from finished floor). If I get 40" wall cabinets, they will go all thew way to the ceiling, so I would have to lower them on the wall a bit to get an inch or two of trim in. As a result, I will either have less space between the base cabinet counter and the bottom of the wall cabinets, or cut the toe kick and lower the base cabinets a bit in order to maintain the normal space between the base and wall cabinets.

The advice I am looking for is:

1: Should I just order 30" wall cabinets and have the freedom of space, upper lighting, etc? If so, how does this affect the appearance in your opinion? Less modern, I have heard? We are designing a pretty clean, somewhat modern space. We are not the type of people to put decorations on top of the upper wall cabinets. We would just maybe put lighting up there if we happened to have the space, but that isn't a must have.

2: If you think it is better to get the 40" wall cabinets: (A) should I keep the base cabinets/countertop at normal height and deal with 2" less space between the coutners and the wall cabinets or (B) should I lower the base cabinets 2 inches and cut the toe kick so that the counters are lower, but the space between the counters and wall cabinets is normal?

Thanks for any help, insight, or experience you all might have! I can normally make decisions like this very easily, but this one has me nervous. Thanks!

-Jeff

Comments (9)