SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
columbiascgw

Smaller Home Search Disappointing

columbiasc
7 years ago

For those who might recognize my screen name, ColumbiaSC is now in Greenville, SC. A fantastic employment opportunity brought me to Greenville about 6 months ago. I leased an apartment for a year so I could get my bearings and figure out what "Chapter 3" is going to look like. 29 years in Vero Beach, FL (Single, no kids, Chapter 1), 25 years in Columbia, SC (Married with children then divorced with children, Chapter 2) so now Chapter 3 - Solo. I've been looking around for a new to me smaller home here in Greenville and I am quite disappointed.

I've met with two Realtors so far and told them what I am looking for; 2 to 3 bedrooms, 1,200 to 1,500 sf, single family, prefer brick, reasonable commute to downtown where I work, safe well kept neighborhood, under $200k. After they finished laughing they start telling me that if I want something small "and affordable" like that ($200 k is affordale?) it will either be a vinyl wrapped "starter" home in a starter neighborhood built by a production builder way out in the 'burbs or a townhouse or condo. If I am willing to compromise on the well kept safe neighborhood part they can probably find something that fits the remainder of the description. "Do you mind having security bars on the windows?"

Considering the divorce rate in the US, considering the number of not so well prepared Baby Boomers, considering the lack luster economy, considering we are likely looking at negative interest rates in the near future, you would think developers would be creating entire neighborhoods of smaller homes on smaller lots featuring high end finishes. Nope. I am told, "houses like that just don't sell around here." To which I ask, okay can you take me to the subdivision like that where a builder started balding and it failed to sell? Funny face looks at me, "no, no one has ever built one like that because they don't sell." Funny face looking back I ask, how do you know they don't sell if they've never been built?

Am I really the only one looking for such a dwelling?

Comments (27)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH