SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peter7363

Newly transplanted Mexican Fans Fronds Yellowing

Peter K
7 years ago

One week ago I had some Mexican Fan Palms planted. I am in the North Phoenix, AZ area. Temps are still in the 90's here during the day, 60's in the evening. The palm fronds are still tied up and I am being told to keep them tied for at least a month, if not two or three. I see quite a bit of yellowing occurring on the tied fronds. I can't really tell whats happening with the inside ones though since they are covered. The palms were planted with mostly native soil with some organic compost mixed in. I have a 3 inch layer of wood chip mulch around the base. Not sure if the yellowing is being caused from too much or too little water. I am reading mixed advice on how often to water newly transplanted palms. I am being told by the installers to only water once every 4 or 5 days in the beginning for 4 hours, so I will need to install a drip line this week. I'm reading elsewhere it should be done every day for the first week or so. I've been hose watering so far, filling the reserve with water two times or so, every two days. They have not had any fertilizer up to this point and I'm tempted to put in some Jobes fertilizer Palm spikes. The soil always appears moist under the mulch, but not wet. I guess what I'm hoping to learn by posting this thread is does it sound like I'm watering too much or not enough? Is the yellowing fronds normal for a newly transplanted palm dug from a field? Should I leave the fronds tied for months? Should I cut off more of the fronds? Am I worrying too much? Your thoughts/comments appreciated. Thank you.

Comments (7)