SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21882779

Native prairie grasses used in Oklahoma City municipal landscaping

User
7 years ago

The trend here is toward using native prairie grasses downtown and in municipal landscaping. Its a good trend and so much more attractive than conventional flower beds or commonly used landscape shrubs. Grasses in mass plantings are stunning, water savers, weed suppressors and low maintenance. Medians are now featuring grasses.

Very nice specimen of Indian Grass which is our state grass in Oklahoma used in landscaping at a local govt building. These take a few years to reach their potential, young plants are sometimes a bit ungainly in their first year or so but its well worth the wait. This grass is as tall as me, very blue and upright, the base is about two and a half feet in diameter. Its an ornamental, native, less thirsty replacement for the over planted Miscanthus which frankly tends get sunburnt and looks bad around here unless its kept watered regularly. I see Miscanthus planted everywhere in the city which is boring but I hardly ever see Indian Grass and I really have to wonder why not?? Whenever I see Indian Grass along the sides of the roads in the country that light powder blue color always stands out.

Closeup of seed heads.

Red Sandstone with another Oklahoma native grass---Muhlenbergia riverchonnii. The grass has faded since its prime in late August, toned down from purple to the exact color of the sandstone rocks which is very effective, my photos don't do it justice. It looked ethereal and stunning in late afternoon sun.

The white grass is Purple Three Awn. I love this grass, it blooms from spring to fall. New blooms are deep purple which fade to white. I've seen it form multiple crops of new seed heads all summer depending on rainfall changing from purple to white and back to purple, its very tough, deep rooted and drought hardy.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
More Discussions