SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
miketann

Japanese Maple Bark Problem.

Mike McGarvey
7 years ago

Something is stripping the bark off my Japanese maples. I had a little damage last Spring, but this Spring was terrible!

My first thought was deer or elk. Fairly common here. None of their footprints around any of those trees, besides they do damage in the Fall.

My neighbor is convinced it's porcupines. I don't think so. I've never seen one here in over 35 years. My experience with porcupines in eastern Wa. is that they target the tops of young Ponderosa pines.

There are no scratches or bite marks and the bark doesn't seem to be eaten. Strips were found at the base of each tree. The bark looks as if it was stripped up, rather than down judging by the peeled up strips that were left. Slugs seemed to love the sap after the bark was peeled off.

All the damage was done in the course of about a week. My neighbor has about 30 Japanese maples damaged and I have about the same. They went as high as ten feet!

Even though I seldom see squirrels around here I believe they are the culprit. There's an occasional Chipmunk, and Grey Squirrels about once or twice a year. The Grey Squirrels seem to be more of a city and suburb dweller than out here in the woods.

Anyone suffer similar damage to Japanese maples? They left the Vine Maples alone, and I have them growing naturally all over the place.

Mike

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022