SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
victoria781

Preventing a neighboring pit bull from getting into the yard?

Ihave Nonamé
7 years ago

The people behind us have a Pitbull that barks and howls every time we step out into our yard. It sniffs at our fence and sometimes lunges at it so as to break through.

We moved in just a few weeks ago. The first week, it managed to lunge through one of the boards in the fence and I grabbed my dog and ran inside. It stood there with its face in the hole, barking and howling as I watched, worried, from inside the house. I actually went back out later and sprayed the hose at the hole when it stuck its face through...The owner came over and started arguing with me about what I was doing. We went back and forth for a while before the conversation lightened and he ended up nailing down any boards that felt weak. It obviously was only a temporary solution.

Today, I had my dog inside and the Pit bull again tried to bust through the fence. The fence is old/rotting and was giving in a bit to the applied force. This terrified me. It sounds like a vicious dog and because it's always left alone in their yard, I feel that it would attack me and my dog if it ever made it through. I'm afraid to go into my yard. It's never peaceful to step out into my yard. I can only let my dog out there supervised. It would cost a lot to replace the entire fence...

Do you have any ideas for dealing with this? I need to feel confident that my dog and I are safe out there. Maybe something sturdy in front of the fence? No chain fences please. I don't like the look at all.

Comments (23)