SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dianna912

Issues with cabinet install, should they have shimmed or scribed?

Dianna
7 years ago

Our new custom cabinets have become quite a headache. First, the measurements were wrong for one of the cabinets, putting it directly to against a door casing, making it impossible to fit a countertop without notching either the casing or the counter, both options I found unacceptable. After much back and forth the cabinet guy said he would cover half of cutting down the cabinet to proper size. He said since we didn't have the casing up for final measurements, he just assumed we were going smaller than the original casing. (Which we only had down because he told us we needed new drywall.) Then, the hood was completely different than what I asked for. He basically said he couldn't keep up with my design changes, despite the fact that the only time we really got in depth on the hood, besides me saying I wanted storage, was when I came to his office and showed him pictures of exactly what I wanted, and emailed them to him for confirmation. This was the last item we confirmed before cabinet build began, so there was never any back and forth on it, and no reason for any confusion.

Lastly, the cabinets are shimmed in the front in multiple places, making it so there is a gap under the toe kick, and more pronounced, under the corner of this cabinet pictured. It looks awful. We asked the cabinet maker if he plans to add moulding. He said no. You can see the jagged edge of the shim. We were told by a GC family member that the cabinets should have been scribed, not shimmed in the first place. We paid a premium for this guy because he's supposed to be the best, but one thing after another has been wrong. We do still have about 25% left to pay on the job, but counters are in so I think scribing is out of the question. I found a picture of a square moulding I think I could leave with. Should the cabinet maker be covering this though? Also, I have read on here that wood shims are not a good idea, which is really a concern since these are inset cabinets, and soapstone counters, both of which are sensitive to settling. I will work on getting a better picture of the shims. This is the cabinet I'm worried about, although this picture is before it was cut back, as it was the one that didn't fit with the door casing. Just to give an idea of what we're dealing with:

Comments (29)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH