SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladygibbs

Order of Importance & Siding Question

ladygibbs
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I bought a fixer upper several years ago and so far have done everything with cash. Including new roof, some new windows, new insulation, drywall, plumbing, electric, furnace, water heater, floors, etc.

We are getting a master suite addition put on our house while simultaneously trying to finish some of the bigger ticket items that are left on the existing house. This will be financed, and we are sticking to a budget that will not allow us to finish every single thing all at once. We will go along and finish the rest with cash.

Biggest things left to do on the current house is new siding, and replacing the last 9 windows. (House has 30 custom sized windows, yikes!) The plan was to build and finish the addition then replace the existing house's siding at a later date. (It's ugly but not not leaking)

Now I am having second thoughts about the addition having new siding, and the old house having siding that is a different material, size, etc. It's going to look funky. Also, I am worried about leaking going on where the old siding will meet the new siding.

If we are to go ahead and reside the entire house, we will basically have to put all the interior bathroom finishes on hold including flooring, shower and tub, fixtures, etc. This is seeming like the better choice since it will be easier to pay for multiple smaller jobs one at a time then to save up the huge amount for the siding.

I am unsure what the order of importance is at this point. The choices basically are:

1. Build dream master suite addition and completely finish inside and out

2. Rough in dream master suite addition and completely finish exterior of home

The contractor didn't act like it was a big deal to have different kinds of siding, but I'm not sure I agree. What do you guys think?

Comments (9)