SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amanda_slamm

Days to ripen.... Winter squash

7 years ago

So I grew a lot of squash this year. A lot.

A somewhat controlled patch in my garden. And a jungle in another large untillable area where I have been building soil with leaves and rotted hay for a few seasons - this year planted with buckwheat and squash. I grew a variety - Nutty Delica, Sunshine, Delicata, Red Kuri, Pink Banana and some mysteries ( saved seed and donations from the dark corners of my and my moms seed boxes.

it's getting very very close to the end of my growing season in central Maine - I just missed a frost last week.

As usual for me some squash fruit early, that ripened and are nicely colored and forming corky stems. No problem. And as usual I get a huge wave of late fruit developing. Some are clearly not going to get a chance to ripen - still green or very pale orange. But some although smaller than their older siblings are developing deeper orange colors.

I know the days from germination to harvest (example - 95 days for Delicata). But what about from fruit formation to ripening? From color change to finished ripening?

Thanks

Comment (1)

Sponsored