SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
en_en_en

Weather Change effect to Calathea Roseopicta + Need Help

En En
7 years ago

Hello! I am new to this forum and I made a very long post earlier that is quite confusing.

I have calmed down know and I'll try to explain all the problems briefly unlike earlier when I was panicking. It is about my rapidly dying Calathea here:

(Latest picture taken at high noon)

Sorry for the blurry picture, my hands were shaking.

It was healthy before but it started dying just this Tuesday and it's now Thursday.

UPDATE 1: I have noticed that there are some insects flying around it, should I repot or check in the soil? I'm afraid...

UPDATE 2: I've noticed that since it's the cold season, the soil is still very damp even if the last time I've watered it was yesterday. That's bad, right?

I'm a college student that goes to school at night and I can't really monitor the plant as closely nowadays since my break ended.

The plant was nowhere near healthy when I bought it on the first week of August (it is still summer in our country back then and I was still on the break). The leaves were all curled and crunchy for having been having the same treatment as the succulents it was being sold with. I nursed it back to health by following instructions online like cutting the dead leaves and only dripping small amounts of water in the soil, bright area with no direct sunlight, so on and so forth.

This was what it looked like on August 31.

Everything online said to be wary of winter and since we have no winter here, I thought that the plant was safe. The cold wind only arrives in late September and continues until January.

When summer ended and the rainy season started, the weather went haywire and the plant started drooping and parts of the smaller leaf were yellowing. This got us worried because the third leaf was unraveling. I had to leave for three days and upon my return, the plant took a turn for the worse. I did tell my aunt to take care of it but the erratic weather changes seem to have taken a toll on it. I left just this Friday and returned on Sunday.

It still looked okay on Monday but the biggest leaf dramatically curled on Tuesday (it was raining hard the night before). I am not quite sure if the weather was the reason but should I just take it inside my room?

The only strong artificial light inside the house is in the bathroom and the place is quite hot (humid?). Can it live like that?

Here's how the plant and its surroundings currently look like:

(Early morning, the very latest one is on top)

The pot is 10x10 cm and is made of glass.

I use the water bottle to water it since the small bowl beside it where I take the water from got infested. It did not happen in the summer, only in the rainy season.

It's raining right now and I decided to just take it in my room. Should I keep it here until summer arrives again?

I don't want to cut the new leaf since it's not quite unraveled and is still very soft.

It is still saveable, right? We are very worried about it and I don't want any more plants to die in my care. Thank you in advance!

Comments (2)