SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
m3ta99

Bad Renters. Time to Sell?

Joe
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hello, we are in a neighborhood where about 50% of the homes are being rented out by the owners. There is no HOA, but it's a nice desireble neighborhood near a scenic park and close to the university. For the most part the renters in the area are polite and take good care of the properties. Many of them are professionals and work at the college.

We own our home and have been there for a little over three years. Unfortunately, we have had many problems with the renters on each side of us.

the first renters confronted me outside in the middle of winter at 6am as I was getting ready for work accusing me of calling the cops on them because their cars were parked illegally. It was very uncomfortable and made us feel very unwelcome in the neighborhood we had just moved to. They were very rude to us and called my wife the b-word. They would not believe us when we told them we didn't care and never called the cops on them. Later I found out later another neighbor had been calling the cops in them but the renters assumed it was us. Fortunately, They moved out after six months.

Then the next tenant was a younger mom with two teenagers living with her. They would scream and curse at each other often. Often so bad we could hear them when we were walking at the park. We would always think "please don't let that be our neighbors". They were finally evicted for not paying rent.

since then the property has sat vacant. We have had to call code enforcement twice in 1 year because weeds were taking over their yard. The owner apparently lives out of town.

Meanwhile at the house on the other side of ours...

The man who lived next to us when we bought the house moved out and a couple from out of state moved in. the husband came to work on the oil fields. They would yell and scream at each other. The woman stayed home all the time and smoked pot (very strong smell when she left the windows open). We could hear them yelling at each other late at night and most weekends but we just put up with it. Eventually something happened and the police were called for domestic abuse. They moved out shortly after.

next a nice couple with two young kids moved in only to move out less than a month later because the said the house was infested with fleas!

less than a week later another couple moved in. They seemed okay for the first few days but the wife stays home all the time and is either yelling at the husband or someone on the phone. Last weekend she was cursing and saying some very inappropriate things while standing outside on the phone. She was so loud and vulgar that a family at the park having their photos taken by a photographer quickly rushed their kids to the other side of the park.

We love our area, and nature in general, so we feed the birds and squirrels that live in the big elm trees on our property. My wife likes to feed the squirrels. Yesterday the neighbors took notice that my wife was feeding the squirels and made a comment about it. The woman asked my wife if she was feeding the squirels at the same time her son yelled out the window "stop feeding them!". It made my wife feel uncomfortable but she shrugged it off. It's our property we will do as we like.

Today my wife put a little bit of food out for the squirels, and about 20 minutes later we look out the window and the woman is spraying water the ground on our property where we put the food with a hose and spraying the squirels up in the tree.

I went outside and asked her to stop, and then asked her what she was doing. The said she was just "messing with the squirels". i explained that we like the animals in our yard. She said sorry but she seemed pretty annoyed.

We are really trying to stay out of people's business and hopefully we can enjoy some peace and quite but that hasn't been the case. Most of the renters have had some serious domestic issues and absolutely no respect for anyone around them.

not really sure what to do next, I am planning on calling their landlord tomorrow but I am concerned that it may escallate to more problems with the neighbors, This is our first house, before that we rented for years and NEVER had these kinds of issues!

As much as we love our house we are actually considering putting it up for sale and moving some place with fewer rentals.

any advice or similar situations you want to share?

Sorry for the long post!

Comments (13)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio