SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suzanne74

OTR microwave/speed cook/convection?

suzanne74
7 years ago

Hi, Long time lurker, but new poster. I'm in the midst of a somewhat unplanned facelift for my galley-style kitchen. My oven died and I have purchased a 30" Jenn-Air gas range, with a baking drawer. I had previously been planning on replacing my OTR microwave with an OTR Advantium, such as the GE Profile Advantium 240 Above the cooktop, and this speeds up my purchase timeline. However, it's a fairly small space, and I do like the look of the coordinating Jenn-air OTR microwave with convection. The product description for the Jenn-air says it has a "convection & microwave combination cooking" option and "this cooking mode maximized the microwave oven's power and precision-- allowing you to achieve beautifully cooked results at microwave speed." However I'm not sure whether this is similar to Advantium technology-- or not? On the one hand, I love the idea of the Advantium speed-cook function, roasting chicken quickly etc.-- it sounds really cool-- on the other hand, I've never used it before?? I don't really understand the difference between these two products-- can anyone explain this to me? I did ask the appliance salesman who I bought the range from, and while he said he personally preferred Jenn-air products, the Advantium line was very popular and he would have to look up the difference and call me back-- he seemed about as unclear as myself. It's a somewhat small space and we don't really have coordinating appliances right now, and I am going to put in a different backsplash behind the range, so visually it would be nice for it to match. On the other hand, I do plan to actually cook with it and I was thinking of the Advantium already-- ?? Sorry this post is somewhat confused-- guess I am a bit confused myself. Also, does the Profile require a 240 V outlet? I do have one lower on the wall, where there used to be a dual-fuel, but not sure how I would run the plug up or if this would require a visit from the electrician or not. Thoughts, ideas, input?

Comment (1)