SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kellykct

Central AC vs ductless

kellykct
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

My husband and I are trying to decide whether to install central AC or ductless for our 1,100 sq ft cape, located in NY (Long Island-it gets hot & humid and we love our AC.) Some details:

-Heating is forced hot air-we already have duct work (uninsulated though, at least for now) so we're looking at installation of all other equipment.

-Having had moisture problems in the past, including some with wall AC units leaking, top priorities are dehumidifying, keeping upstairs bedrooms cool enough at night, and energy efficiency.

-Each room does have an intake and a return vent. (Tech said that is a plus and isn't always the case.)

-Received one estimate so far. Tech gave us mostly pros for ductless and cons for central. I'm not sure I'd be happy w ductless but want to get additional feedback and of course, more estimates before we decide. His thoughts:

-We'd most likely be unhappy with the temperature difference between the first and second floors

-Our approx 10 yr old furnace would be working non-stop to cool/heat/dehumidify the house, so we'd be shortening its life considerably w central air.

-Ductless affords the ability to more easily create zones of cooling/heating.

-Ductless is more efficient overall.

His estimate is $5,500 for central installation (Carrier 13 SEER/have to research Carrier further) and $8,750 for ductless. I'm not opposed to ductless because of the expense and I generally understand why it's more, but I do have concerns about their overall effectiveness, their appearance, and their maintenance.

Given these circumstances, what would you choose? If I need to provide more details please let me know.

I appreciate any and all feedback from owners of each of these systems. Thank you!

Comments (32)

• kellykct
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Edited to add ductless mini split: 2 units, 1 in upstairs bedroom (just us living in house) and 1 in living area (open floor plan)

• mike_home
    7 years ago

If you already have duct work in place, and the furnace is only 10 years old, then I don't see the advantage of adding a ductless system.

"Our approx 10 yr old furnace would be working non-stop to cool/heat/dehumidify the house, so we'd be shortening its life considerably w central air."

Who told you the furnace has to work non-stop to cool the house? Are you thinking the furnace now gets to rest during the summer? The furnace will most likely out last the outside condenser. I would not be concerned about working the furnace too hard.

kellykct thanked mike_home
  • Related Discussions

Central AC vs ductless vs 'small duct'

Q

Comments (2)
    If you have headroom in your basement I think installing a normal split system and boxing in the ductwork would be the way to go, the attic is the problem you may need to put one or two ductless splits there Here is a link that might be useful: Air Conditioning and Heating Repair Made Easy
    ...See More

fyi central ac vs wall unit electric use

Q

Comments (2)
    Window/wall units may cost more to run compared to a central system depending on some factors that are involved: 1) The efficiency rating of the window/wall unit vs. a central system. 2) Where the window/wall unit(s) are installed regards to getting the cooled air evenly distributed throughout the living area. 2) People tend to overcool with window/wall units by setting the thermostats much cooler than necessary ... I've seen many of them set on the maximum cool setting, which typically targets a room temperature toward 60ðF.
    ...See More

Attic vs basement air handler for central A/C

Q

Comments (6)
    It seems strange that you have independent heating and cooling duct work. Is this an old house? Maybe the AC was installed after the house was built or underwent a major renovation? The heating duct work could be used if it is large enough to handle the air flow. The furnace becomes the air handler. If the furnace is old then it may make sense to buy a new furnace when the coil is installed. I think installing air handlers and duct work in uninsulated attics is should be avoided whenever possible. So moving everything to the basement would be a good idea. If you want to keep the air handler in the attic then enlarging the access to the attic should be easier and cheaper than opening up the roof and hiring a crane.
    ...See More

Ductless/Mini-Split AC vs Traditional

Q

Comments (2)
    Definitely, the split system is a great thing. Europe uses them a lot. It's also a beautiful addition - and no hidden problems with ducts like regular ACs have sometimes. They also more efficient Than the regular ACs. They are stylish and beautiful and you can control each of them separately, even if you'll buy one system or several separate systems.
    ...See More
  • klem1
    7 years ago

I would go with a higher effeciency central,insulate ducts and be certain supplys and returns are balanced for secound floor.

kellykct thanked klem1
  • kellykct
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you for the comments. I'm aware that my furnace isn't exactly resting during the summer, but the hvac tech who came to give an estimate made it sound like central air would speed up its wearing out considerably faster, as

it would be running a lot more. I wasn't sure about that.

While my husband was initially in favor of mini splits, I've been leaning toward central, and your feedback has been helpful. Thanks again!

• ionized_gw
    7 years ago

Do yourself a favor and do a search in this forum for lengthy posts addressing your questions. I would not hesitate to recommend mini splits for homes with hydronic or steam heat, but with ducts in place for heating, it is different. Are the ducts within the house envelope or in the attic a crawl space? What kind of fuel do you use to heat?

Mini splits well be higher maintaince. The more dust in the environment, the bigger the problem. In your costal area, a variable speed blower and even compressor will control humidity better, much better. The inherent zoning of mini splits will not save that much energy if a well-insulated, well-sealed home. having two separate mini split units (two outdoor and two indoor) allows a wide modulation range with more continuous operation when just one is running which should yield superb humidity control. If you have two, you have backup in case of failure and it will be easier to run on a small generator. My inverter mini splits start with virtually no start up current surge which also helps a great deal.

kellykct thanked ionized_gw
  • kellykct
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you, ionized_gw. I haven't been able to find a ton of posts comparing the two systems, but I'll dig further and search for answers to specific questions. The ducts in our home are in the envelope of the house, and we have gas heat. The house gets dusty quickly, and we have pets, which of course adds to the mix. The hvac tech who came said that the basement trunk line (?? Still learning the correct terminology) is a bit narrow and may not provide maximum cooling efficiency, so we're going to look into whether it needs to be replaced, Also, our returns are all located toward the bottom of the walls; I've read that for AC to function well, returns should be up near the ceiling.

Certainly more food for thought, and more for us to learn about!

• ionized_gw
    7 years ago

Just search for "mini splits" or "Mini splits".

If you have ceiling, paddle fans in the rooms with floor vents, they can fix that problem

• malba2366
    7 years ago

The ductless price is way to high...you should be able to get 2 good ductless units for about $6000 installed. I priced out the top Fujitsu units 9k and 12k BTU (9RLS2h, 12RLS3h) at a supply house and they cost around $1350 and $1550 for the units, the linesets, wires etc are $300 or less each unit. That leaves a very reasonable $1750 for labor on a relatively easy install and $750 for the electric hookups . Do not allow HVAC installers to rip you off on ductless systems just because they are new to the USA market.

Check this post on Ebay since you are in the NYC area if you can't find anyone to do the install for a reasonable rate.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/121609547168?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

kellykct thanked malba2366
  • ionized_gw
    7 years ago

Although the price looks high, it is difficult to say without knowing the install details. Know that you don't have to live with line sets and drains running down the outside of the house. That can all be run inside the walls and into the basement, but it will probably cost more that way.

• klem1
    7 years ago

" Do not allow HVAC installers to rip you off on ductless systems just because they are new to the USA market."

I agree and will add that it's the #1 reason mini-splits haven't gained more of the USA market.

kellykct thanked klem1
  • PRO
    Austin Air Companie
    7 years ago

Two sides to every coin. The air conditioning market in many markets across USA is 3 months, maybe 4. In my neck of the woods about 6.

Once install volume dries up after that 3 month, 4 months or whatever seasonal attributes you can imagine... there is no more work (cheap or otherwise) for these reasons makes HVAC one of the most riskiest businesses to be in.

Furnaces don't break down as often as they once did. Especially in an area like mine where some seasons they may only be used a few times.

You'll only care when the unit you buy 'from whomever' breaks down. If the installer you used is out of business...

Mini splits are exotics. Because of the vast array of parts, system set ups etc and most mini split manufacturer's require companies to be certified to work on their brand.

Sure you can buy anything on the internet. But read the fine print in regards to warranty coverage very carefully. If you buy it, the warranty is on you. No HVAC company is going to stick their neck out on a mini split system gone bad that was installed by someone else.

Welcome to circa 2016.

Those that claim don't let someone do this or that... hire them, make them put their words where their mouth is.

• freeoscar
    7 years ago

It's not just the maintenance costs that could be more. I think it will hurt you in house resale. In your (my) part of the country mini splits are rarely seen, and come off as glorified window units. Though that impression is incorrect, it doesn't change the fact that you'd have to explain that to potential buyers, and that's the last thing you need when it comes time to sell. If central is cheaper I really can't see this as a difficult decision.

kellykct thanked freeoscar
  • malba2366
    7 years ago

@austinair. I was not advocating that the OP try to install the item himself, but there are plenty of qualified HVAC contractors who will install ductless units for a reasonable price, many times they are the ones without the flashy websites and advertisements. I know Mitsubishi will honor warranty if purchased online as long as it is installed by a HVAC comfort, and I have spoken to CS at ecomfort.com and they will stand behind and replace parts for Fujitsu if they refuse to do so. Note that ecomfort.com is owned by furgeson so I am confident they will stand behind the product. I am sure any HVAC company would be happy to come fix a broken mini split unit and charge their hefty labor few while at it.

• kellykct
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you everyone for the input and info. It's much appreciated. Freeoscar, the tech gave us several reasons why central may not be the best way to go, but quite honestly, he seemed a bit biased by the end of his visit, and I started to wonder if he was really just more interested in selling us 2 or 3 mini splits instead. His reasons were:

-The main trunk line (in basement) may not be large/enough to accommodate the air flow efficiently.

-Our furnace may wear out sooner with solid year round use as opposed to just heavier use during the winter

-Our current ducts need to be insulated.

-The upstairs bedrooms will not be as cool as the main floor.

Most of these concerns have been addressed, thanks to this thread, and I think we're going to go with adding the equipment to the existing ductwork.

• ionized_gw
    7 years ago

You could consider adding some adjustable dampers to the system to balance the air flow differently in the summer vs. winter for better temperature uniformity.

• stickman42
    7 years ago

Kelly - fellow Long Islander here. We lived with window ACs for a number of years then switched to central (geothermal) 3 years ago. Putting efficiency aside, I equate mini splits with window units regarding area conditioning. Central has kept all 4 levels of my split level house at almost the same temp with just one zone and individual duct dampers. No regrets here.

kellykct thanked stickman42
  • kellykct
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Stickman42-I'm feeling the same way about the mini splits. Great news about your AC-thanks!

• PRO
    Austin Air Companie
    7 years ago

@malba2366

There is only one reason an installer would buy product over the internet and have it 'shipped' to them is that they are 'UNLICENSED', because an internet based seller will sell to anyone while a local wholesaler will only sell to 'LICENSED HVAC Contractors' - that is the difference. Warranty 'promises' in the internet purchased realm are worthless without an actual HVAC license tied to the product. No manufacturer will stand behind any product they make without the inclusion of a HVAC license tied to that product(s) serial number.

From Mitsubishi Warranty Document:

Product Warranty Statement

Updated: Wednesday, August 10, 2016

LIMITED WARRANTY STATEMENT

Mitsubishi Electric M-Series Split Air-conditioner and Heat-pump Systems

Subject to the terms and conditions of this Limited Warranty, the Cooling & Heating Division of MITSUBISHI ELECTRIC US, INC. (“MEUS”) warrants to the original purchaser of this M-Series product purchased on or after April 1, 2015 from a licensed HVAC contractor and installed by such contractor in the continental United States.

Notice it DOES NOT say 'installer'. Mitsubishi Warranty Document

Just merely saying someone can hire an 'installer' is not adequate. An installer does not have the technical expertise 99% of the time to diagnose the system if something goes wrong with installation.

If the part warranty comes thru the internet, your system is likely down for days if not weeks waiting for parts or whatever. A professional HVAC company is built around service, not hassles.

• malba2366
    7 years ago

@austin air. That is a good point. I guess it depends on the state you live in. In NY there is no license for HVAC installers (or general contractors) so they would have to honor the warranty unless they can prove the installation was incorrect. Since there is no license I would be as qualified as a HVAC company to install the product according to the warranty language (which is a legal obligation on their part).

I called a local supply house and they will sell me fujitsu units as long as I have a tax id number (they don't carry Mitsubishi), and the prices are even cheaper than online.

• PRO
    Austin Air Companie
    7 years ago

New York is a bit different as the licensing is controlled at the local level. So I'm sure you could see differences from one city / county to the next in New York.

'So they would have to honor the warranty unless they can prove installation was incorrect.'

If you don't have the knowledge needed to diagnose and repair you won't fix it. The tax ID would hold you accountable buying anything locally.

How long is the AC season in New York? 2 months?

• mike_home
    7 years ago

In the New York city area and Long Island it is a 4 month season. It hit 90 degrees last week but this week we are finally getting some fall weather.

• ionized_gw
    7 years ago

"How long is the AC season in New York? 2 months?"

NY is a large state with a variety of climactic conditions. The costal plain is warm and quite humid. Up on the (glaciated) Allegheny plateau, by contrast, you have to be in Maine before you see more heating degree days than in that area and it is relatively dry. Then you head to the Canadian border from there. If you accept mike_home's figure, you might vary between between a 4 month and 0-month season so I guess that averages out to 2 months. Thanks to the OP, location was specific.

The argument about what Mitsubishi and others can and will do wrt who installs the systems and warranties leaves out some issues. Distributors usually don't sell to homeowners because they 1) don't want the hassles of dealing with them and 2) they want to make contractors feel special. Manufacturers may, legally, have to sell parts to homeowners, but they don't have to make it convenient. The fact is that they don't sell direct, they sell through distributors that don't sell to homeowners. I did manage to buy a replacement blower motor for a mini split indoor unit and replace it myself a couple of months ago. Manufacturers and have technical service departments that may or may not answer questions from homeowners, but the same factors apply. The same factors apply to their warranty claim departments. Maybe they will appear to be cooperating, but they may just be stonewalling. If the latter, you will be without AC while your lawsuit is playing out unless you install a new system.

• klem1
    7 years ago

Folks,in what is becomeing increasing common,ya'll sure wandered a long way from home to debate issues based on speculation,presumption or conjecture. Is it not bad enough contractors fill customer's head's with half truths and lies to cover up deceptive trade practices? If we must get into these things,can we stick to complete facts instead of half truths? In the state of Texas where the issue of licenseing was raised in this thread,consider this. 75% of installs are done by individuals who are not licensed but instead operate under another's license. Of those installations,most times licensee never even see's the site,much less inspect's the work. Texas cover's 268,500 square miles and a single license will cover every square inch and as many employees as the company can keep busy. Compare that to electricians,where not only must they visit every site with their license on file,they must perticipate in every minute of the job. Ditto for plumbers. With all that in mind,consider if you will. The law doesn't require any part of the hvac installation be done by or under the supervisoin of a license holder other than the refrigerant evacuation,charge or disposal by an EPA certificate holder employeed by a licensee and a portion of electrical must be done by a licensed electrician. Occasionally a protion of condensate drain must be done by a plumber. If the homeowner is doing the install,the plumber and electrician are not nessarlly required but refrigerant can not be done by homeowner unless he has credentials. Why you might ask do we even bother with licenseing hvac people? Because a bunch of good ol boys got togeather a few years ago to conspire and run mom and pop operations out of business. They bought off state legislators and the rest is history. Lest anyone think's I am slamming Austin Air,"tant so"and here's why. A.A. is a small company on every job he contracts so the customer recieve's the benifits of his knowledge and training while a neighbor is getting work done by a multi-million dollar entity's surrogate like I spoke of earlier. What does it mean? The guy who unstopp's your toilet or change's the porch light switch has many fold the hours of training than the one who installed your hvac system. If the average gearhead has a friend or can buy a friend to guide him through it,he can install a mini-splt with exception of refrigerant part. With the benifit of a few specialized tools,a dedicated homeowner could install central as well. It is not an endeavor requiring great intelligence or technical ability but the fat cats who bought the law makers will try and make you believe it is..

• PRO
    Austin Air Companie
    7 years ago

Klem,

I don't believe the HVAC licensing (as it is in Texas) was brought forth to put mom and pop's out of business and while a single license will cover the entire state, a single license will only cover one office in which calls are received. (It would be counter productive in my opinion to serve more than a 10-15 mile radius around the office in which a company receives calls. I do this on occasion but I charge extra for it and only at best 20-25 miles outside my service area maximum. --- If a company is offering a 'free' service, the reason it's free is because it's not worth anything to begin with.)

In Texas, a HVAC company would have to have a separate HVAC license for every office that receives calls for contracting services. Some may get away with this for awhile, but if they get caught they could be put in jeopardy fines and who knows what else?

It's true that most license holder's never set foot in homes / businesses that technicians do work 'supposedly under the supervision' of a HVAC license holder. ( except someone like me being the exception.)

I believe the licensing structure in Texas was designed to hold someone accountable. Although how much accountability is really garnered is questionable at best. Which is why I go to the great lengths I go to --- to warn people about making sure they choose an HVAC provider wisely.

The other part is manufacturer's and warranty part returns. Nearly every distributor complains about getting parts back for warranty returns in which there is nothing wrong with the part in question. American Standard distributor back in the day thought nothing of theirs would ever fail in the warranty period. LOL, they probably still think the same thing today.

Anyway, I think if anything this discussion shows how complex this industry is.

• klem1
    7 years ago

"It's true that most license holder's never set foot in homes / businesses that technicians do work 'supposedly under the supervision' of a HVAC license holder. ( except someone like me being the exception.)"

And I wager few people realized this fact when writing the check for services rendered.

• PRO
    Austin Air Companie
    7 years ago

The larger HVAC companies have a large advertising budget, some quite possibly million dollars or more per year. That affords them the ability to do a 'snow job' on public perception.

Although smaller HVAC companies with only a few technicians and a smaller ad budget can often times be worse. In those cases, 1 bad technician could be the demise of the company.... which doesn't spell any thing good for a home owner with a bad install by said company.

The amount in which I will stick my neck out is limited. I see these at least a dozen or so every year like this and it seems to be getting worse.

• klem1
    7 years ago

Austin A.,what you said reinforce's my point that most of those passing out well meaning advice here have along with the public been snowed to believe useing licensed companies assure consumers of quility work. It's simply not true. If the guy with tools in his belt is not licensed,he might have been driving for Uber or taking tickets at the movie house last week.

• PRO
    Austin Air Companie
    7 years ago

The problem is the lack of quality help that know what they are doing. Much of this was born out of the financial crisis and companies going heavily into 'salesmen'. If you could 'fix' something many were forced out. So many good HVAC technicians left the field in 2008 /2009 and haven't returned. ( I was one of them.)

It was during this time that I took the 'Texas' HVAC contractor license exam, got my license and started my own company and hung on by a 'hope and a prayer'. The residential market is in dire straights when it comes to technical competency. There are companies out there that hire people with a pulse as long as they pass a psych test and a drug test... then show you how to sell --- who cares if you know how to fix anything.

Replacing equipment will fix almost every problem you can imagine, but I don't know too many people that can afford to replace the AC system every time it breaks down.

(For those reading this -- don't expect a 15+ year old AC system to be repaired 'regardless of brand' , sometimes it can but nothing lasts forever.)

• klem1
    7 years ago

I believe you are mistaking symptoms for problems Austin. Isn't 2008-2009 when free money became more plentiful to those who failed to earn it? Few people chose to crawl around 120F attics if they can sit on the porch and draw checks. Which of these do you hear most often. "You will be able to go to college and have the tuition forgiven." or "You will be able to learn a trade without paying for training".

• Whats InAName
    7 years ago

Austin, you said mini splits are exotic. Travel to Asia, the largest market of airconditioners and they are all over the place. Minisplits are Daikin's bread and butter.

• PRO
    Austin Air Companie
    7 years ago

@whats in AName

Home sizes determine a lot. It would make little to no sense to put a ducted HVAC system in with square footage less than 1000 sq ft. --

Asia square footage in many places is 500 sq ft and in some cases less.

I don't serve the Asian market... hence the reason for my opinion.

How big is the house - Avg size homes by country.