SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lotsogirls

Central AC vs ductless vs 'small duct'

lotsogirls
16 years ago

I've read through as many a/c threads as I can, but none really address my question.

We are moving into a large 1960's home in a few weeks with no air. It has hot water heat. Although my husband can live fine without (we are in denver- don't let it fool you- the summers are HOT), I was raised in climate controlled New Orleans- EVERYWHERE has air and I can't sleep or cook without it.Since he does not see it as a priority, I am doing the research before I make my case.

So I'll post here our limitations, and would love input from anyone with some knowledge, understanding, or experience:

1.The house has a large, finished basement, a main floor with master, study, kitchen, DR, LR, and small family room- about 2500 sf. There is an upstairs with a hall with a bedroom at both ends, a bedroom and bath in the middle- about 1100 sf. There is attic space only on the far sides of upstairs bedrooms- nothing above them. I believe the attic is above the garage and part of family room on one side, and the living room and maybe part of the master on the other.

2.There is 150 amp power. I don't know what that means. I think we are going to have to add electric as there are appliances that I covet for the kitchen and I think all of the circuits are full. ( Again, I don't speak electric so pardon me if I'm off)I don't know how this translates for added costs for air.

3.The flooring needs to be redone, and we are putting in engineered wood. The sales person said we will need a home humidifier to protect from expansion and shrinkage, although I have read this is less of an issue for engineered vs hardwood.(very low humidity in Denver)

4. Energy bills and initial cost do factor in. Certainly a system that costs more but pays off in savings over the years would be worthwhile. We plan to be in the home for at least 10-15 years.

I've looked at the ductless, or mini/multi split threads as well as the Mitsubishi website, and I've looked at the "small duct" (Unico) website thanks to the posts here. I'm just hoping folks here may be able to share some insight about where to go from here, what to consider, pros and cons, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!