SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thornworn

Own Root Revelation!

Are any of you disappointed with the wimpy growth of some of your roses grown on their own roots? I believe we have fallen for this 'own root' modern trend many of the commercial rose purveyors are pushing.

I really wonder if it is so much more costly to produce own root roses over grafted roses as the growers claim? How can a 2 year old field grow grafted rose be less expensive to bring to market size as a grade #1 , than an essentially 6 month old band that is barely beyond the just rooted stage?

Are all the so called advantages of own root roses over grafted roses based on fact?

Another thing that is annoying to me is the recent revelation (discovered quite accidentally), that the Kordes company tests their roses in the ADR program in Germany, grown on a rootstock, NOT on their own roots.

Their ADR designated roses are a much coveted achievement by Kordes, and they market their roses making us well aware of this point. Many of their ADR roses are sold stateside. They are big items, up there with the Austin English roses.

However, we are attempting to grow roses on their own roots that have achieved their accolades grafted on rootstocks. How can we expect to achieve the same success: vigorous growth, abundant bloom, disease resistance, etc., growing these roses on their own roots? Perhaps many of our problems with the Kordes roses: octopus arms, non/infrequent bloomers, and blind growth is due to us growing them on their own roots?

My entire rose garden is own root now. It happened over time and was not so in the past. I have no bushes that are over 7 years old. So many of them are just, "present and accounted for," and nothing more.

I am ready to make a vow to only buy grafted roses from now on.

Comments (34)