SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21006250

light fixture for dining room...yes?

User
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Would this Elk crystal branch fixture work in my dining room, 12x16, 12 foot cathedral ceiling, table 42x87 . It is 33Wx33LX23H or is it too busy looking. Do I need something simplier and maybe taller?

Comments (426)

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

I do agree empire style is my favorite design for your dining room...keep searching you will find the perfect one!

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

thanks HIWE, I appreciate your honesty. It is hard to tell in the photos, as the colors dont come out as in real life, but the clock finish is exactly the same tones as the hardwood floor, that is why I thought it might work in there. I cant see hanging another painting there as I have enough color going on as is. | guess this room is turning into a more eclectic look, lol.

• Related Discussions

Dining Room light fixture to go with schoolhouse lights in kitchen.

Q

Comments (4)
    Sandra, we are thinking of using schoolhouse pendants and also have an open floor plan. If you feel like sharing I would love to see a photo of your kitchen/dining room with the lights you decided to use.
    ...See More

HELP WITH LIGHTING; Dining Room Light Fixture Advice

Q

Comments (2)
    Drum light will be a little anti-climactic to your other choice. I like the bigger one better because it matches your other lights better, and no, it's not too large for your table, especially when the table is extended, but even when collapsed it is still 18" shorter than your table's length, so that's fine.
    ...See More

How to hang a multi pendant dining table light fixture?

Q

Comments (5)
    If it were me, I would mock it up with strings and balloons blown up to the size of the globes - doing that and having the table underneath will give you a sense of how the fixture should relate to the table (too often fixtures are hung too high) *assuming the lengths can be adjusted
    ...See More

Dining room light fixture help .

Q

Comments (28)
    KSWL Where are you finding all these amazing blue lights. I googled for blue light fixtures and nothing like this came up. I think I might do the velvet for my bedroom and the Safavieh for my living room unless my husband isn't on board. I'll show him tonight! The kitchen and breakfast nook we have light fixtures already, we're using these to match our Big Chill range with the aged brass accents. Pricklypearcactus It is a natural maple floor. I don't know the specific name or brand. If you're interested, I can give you my flooring guy's contact details if you're anywhere near Orlando. Or I can call him and try to find out. We used it throughout our entire house so if you want I can also post pictures in other rooms so you can see how it looks in different lights.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

I honesty think where the clock is could be the perfect wall to bring in a different metal finish...maybe a accent mirror of some kind or decorative metal wall art.....i would find a new spot for the clock:) room might start looking a little old fashioned and I am sure that is not what you are going for....don't be afraid to try something new..bring home something interesting with a little sparkle to liven up your space! That's why I love 30 day return policy...have fun

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The clock is metal, not wood. With the big windows, glossy table top, and mirror/glass china cabinet, glass scones, and then adding the chandelier, which might be be sparkly, I wouldnt want a mirror there, or anything more with shine, it might feel like Las Vegas in there!

• lynartist
    7 years ago
    I have to agree with HIWE. Not crazy about the clock. It looks old fashioned to me . Seems since fixer upper came on big clocks are everywhere! But I think this sort of thing needs to be used judiciously!
    User thanked lynartist
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

...I wouldn't consider Windows and the gloss of a table bling or sparkle...I did not see any china cabinet in any of your images was not aware of that...holding out strong on moving clock out .....sorry....ok well I guess you have it all taken care of good luck on your search:)

User thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • lynartist
    7 years ago
    I would rather see a collection of creamware hung on the wall. Something light to reflect the lightness of the shutters.
  • lynartist
    7 years ago
    Or a collection of vintage silver trays to add a bit of sparkle to the room! The clock is just so predictable and not very glamorous or dining roomy!
  • lynartist
    7 years ago
    I think if you like Bevs pick you should just bite the bullet and go for it! I am liking the Fredrick Raymond Hamlet more and more for its classic empire shape but modern look in color and materials! A pretty cool fixture and a great compromise in that it is crystal but not to blingy! Pics of it in place. I suggest you go back now and review all this info Rose; write down what you like and make a decision. Let us know how it turns out!
    User thanked lynartist
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

OK - now I have a better idea of what you like (also vote no on clock, too kitchy for your space, hope you can return it or use it somewhere else.) Lots of ways we can work on that wall, but I'm wanting to settle your light fixture first. I have an idea, be back in a bit. So, gang, here is my assessment of the main criteria. 1) I'm calling shape the upside down mushroom!; 2) better black finish than shiny gold; 3) try to keep cost under $800 less is better; 4) width max 34" and height can be as high as 40". That is the boundaries I have gathered. Just to help us get a bit more focused.

Elk Lighting 46049/8+6 Empire Traditional Chandelier in Mocha · More Info
    This is beautiful, but out of criteria on price, but I'm testing on the metal finish. Rose how do you feel about this one, if we could find something similar but less costly. It is $1,439.90 on sale! It is 35w x 35d and 32h.

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Flo I am liking the finish.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Here are ones we have already posted that meet your criteria:

Capital Lighting Claybourne Suede 9 Light Chandelier · More Info

Quorum Lighting 6013-9-86 Anders Chandelier, Oiled Bronze · More Info
    I reviewed the above and these both have shape, metal finish-good, size-good and price right around $500. Probably as close as we can get without going up over budget. RoseAbbey are your ready?

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Hi. I like the horizontal line of Empire [?] and it seems to repeat lines already there. You said elegant, not formal and that's intriguing ....

User thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    7 years ago

I betcha a photo from another angle could help... such as 'what's opposite to the windows?'

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

everdebz-do you mean of the one I just posted? Or a previous one?

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

everdebz, opposite the windows is a hutch

Sorry Flo, they might meet my criteria regarding size and color but I just dont think I would like them in the room, wish I knew why and could articulate that.

• Seajay Sparkles
    7 years ago
    Just my humble opinion. The first one Flo posted at 3:19 pm is gorgeous and perfect for space. This shouldn't be so hard. ;-)
    User thanked Seajay Sparkles
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Could it be you are trying to recreate something you had? I don't think I can be of much more help here. Wish you the best!

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you Flo for all your help and efforts. I agree with seajay, it shouldnt be this hard, I dont know what my problem is. I replaced all the light fixtures in this house except for the entrance one without any hesitation. I know I have said it before, but I am taking a break from this and it will be my last post for now. When I finally buy a light I will bring this post back. Thanks again.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

I understand. Sometimes, we just get stuck and have to step away. Wishing you the best.

User thanked Flo Mangan
  • lynartist
    7 years ago
    Good luck Rose!
    User thanked lynartist
  • Seajay Sparkles
    7 years ago
    Wishing you the best too Rose. It's been quite the education.
    User thanked Seajay Sparkles
  • everdebz
    7 years ago

Hi... I meant a photo if you stood with your back to the windows / not the recent one....

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Not big deal if we saw your hutch.. who knows maybe that matters. I think it's been a good journey, and hope all goes well. :)

User thanked everdebz
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hey, I am back and I think I may have found a light. Want to get your opinions on it first though, maybe I am missing something. Please give give it to me, whether good or bad!

http://www.delmarfans.com/jeremiah/englewood/25626-fr/#fbDivID

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

I think it is a good choice ..seems to have all the elements you like....a little bling...its traditional ...slightly empire style in shape....like the metal finish brings something new into your home....I think you need to change out your red sconce candle to neutral it will work much better with this chandelier. Would've loved an all clear Chrystal chandelier but you need to love it!

• kellyzdesigning
    7 years ago
    Don't paint those cabinets! Walls, window treatment, hardware all a yes!
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks HIWE. The sconce is actually a dark amber glass. This is why I find shopping on line so difficult, since the colors can vary so much on our screens.

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

kellyzdesigning ???

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

Is it Amber glass? That sconce is just to dark....I would change it up to something lighter brighter:))

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

yes, amber glass. I might do that, if I do go ahead and order this light fixture and see how things look. Right now it really draws the amber/golden tones out of the painting.

• PRO
    Galilee Lighting
    7 years ago

Why not trying a more modern version to the classic crystal chandelier?

Take a look at our Crystal glaciers chandelier, it has the twinkling shin of the crystal but in a unique design that creates an interest in the space.

In Galilee lighting we make hand blown glass pendants lighting in unique styles, available in different sizes and can be designed in any length.

I invite you to visit www.GalileeLighting.com

To receive our catalog by email, contact Sales@GalileeLighting.com

Call us 305-807-8711

We deliver worldwide.

GLACIERS contemporary crystal lighting by Galilee Lighting · More Info

MODERN DINING ROOM CHANDELIER, MODERN PENDANT LIGHT FOR DINING ROOM · More Info

MODERN DINING ROOM CHANDELIER, MODERN PENDANT LIGHT FOR DINING ROOM · More Info

GREY GLASS CHANDELIER, BLISS contemporary crystal chandelier by Galilee Lighting · More Info

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

I think that painting can stand on its own....your new chandelier will be the focal point of the space:))

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks HIWE

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

HIWE, I meant to ask, how far above the table would you hang this chandelier, it is 29wx32h? Ceiling is 12 feet.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

With a 12' ceiling pitch I would not hang it any lower than 36" from top of table and no higher than 40".

• lynartist
    7 years ago
    That looks very nice Rose! I'm so glad you found something you really like! The size seems perfect too!
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

Everyone has their own mathematical ways...over the years it seems this has been the best distance from top of table with 12' ceilings...of course always be around when electrician is hanging it...your eye is needed in case you feel you want it higher or lower....with 36" you have a wonderful amount of space for table centerpiece or accessories.....and remember go big or go home!! Don't load it up with small items...

• lynartist
    7 years ago
    Here you go Rose! I would hang it no higher than 36" above the table.
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

HIWE, the electrician will be DH so I will definitely be here to help him!

That is awesome lyn, thank you for the photo. The size is good, I was surprised because it is only a six light fixture and usually this size would be for a 9 light. We have 6 can lights in the room already so 6 should be plenty over the table. I like this fixture because it is dense enough so that the backdrop of the shutters wont make it look busy. I finally figured out that was my problem with most of the other fixtures we tried. So unless DH absolutely hates it, he is away today, I shall be ordering this one....keep your fingers crossed...lol.

• Blueflower S
    7 years ago

@bellburgmaggie Did you use photoshop to add the chandelier to the picture?

• lynartist
    7 years ago
    Are you asking me? I did it on my phone with the Houzz app. Snapshot the room then go to Houzz shop and find product. Tap on little box that says" add to room" .
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    7 years ago

be there the day of install, when the guy says, "does this look good" say yes or no. the best thing you can do is eyeball this once its in the room. 3 feet off the table is a lot imo, but 24 maybe to little. most of these are "standards" i use that term loosely. because if a family member is 6 ft tall or 5 ft tall it can impact what eye level works.

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

If I do the math, 144-32-30-36=46. If I hang it 36 inches off the table, it brings the chandelier (not counting the hanging crystal) to almost center of the painting. It would require 46 inches of chain, is that not too much chain?

• lynartist
    7 years ago
    No Rose , it's not. You don't want your light hanging so high that it has no relation to your dining set! It will look fine.
  • lynartist
    7 years ago
    How are these for long chains;)
  • lynartist
    7 years ago
    Relax
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Lyn

• lynartist
    7 years ago
    Don't forget to post a pick when you have it up Rose!
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I will Lyn. I will also be asking for some assistance on the center piece for the table once I get the light up :>)