SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mominca02

What color/colors would you paint this buffet?

mominca02
11 years ago
We just painted our dining room in Wedgewood Gray by Benjamin Moore. The dining room table is a black brown and the chairs are a linen color. This buffet was my grandmothers and I really want to incorporate it into the room. Ideas for painting it would be very appreciated. I'm thinking of leaving the top alone.

Comments (46)

• Laurie _Sloan_Boughaba
    11 years ago
    First impression, black but then I read that the dining table is dark. For sure leave the top alone. In my experience, to modernize the buffet, make it white or black. I don't know your style or accent colors. An antiqued accent color would be modern as well. Let us know what your vision is, what style you are after....please
  • Susan Jacobs
    11 years ago
    check out Annie Sloan Chalk Paint for some amazing ideas on painting furniture. They have gorgeous colors, many of them would look great on your buffet.
  • Related Discussions

What paint color would you use with Biscotti Colored Cabinets

Q

Comments (3)
    Or Latte. Casey Here is a link that might be useful: SW Latte
    ...See More

Help refinishing 1930's Buffet - WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Q

Comments (39)
    Nicely done. Congrats on your DIY! Always worth giving it a try. I do find that Houzz members are not as big into the DIY and designers tend to think non professionals can't do anything. Always weigh up what is the downside to doing a DIY project yourself. Most of the time, you will just need to pay someone to correct it and the cost is usually what it would have been to start so you are just out your time and cost of the supplies to give it a try.
    ...See More

what color would you paint this kitchen?

Q

Comments (5)
    I would never paint those cabinets. They are very nice and will hold up much longer than painted ones would. I looked at the picture before, I saw, that you were replacing the counters and backsplash. What I thought at first glance is that the backsplash is actually very nice, but, the counters do not go with the backsplash. I would try and keep the backsplash, and replace counters. Before I read that you were replacing both, I would have said, if you are keeping counters, then the backsplash should be replaced. The counters are not attractive, so that is what I would want replaced.
    ...See More

What color would you paint this vanity?

Q

Comments (20)
    Also, there is no world in which blue is incompatible with tan and gold -- I mean, that is the essence of the beach, of blue blazers with khakis, etc. So if that's what you want, just be sure to try a couple of samples on posterboard so you can see them in your space and lighting. You do you!! :)
    ...See More
  • Susan Jacobs
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Sorry for so many entries! Have a look at this. (I feel I must tell you I am not a spokesperson for Chalk Paint! Just a huge devotee! It's unbelievably easy to work with.)
  • User
    11 years ago
    I agree about the chalk paint. Husband just finished a piece and it looks awesome!!
  • libradesigneye
    11 years ago
    me too on the chalk paint - look at the french linen color or go old white
  • mominca02
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you all for your suggestions. I think my style is transitional. I was trying to show some pictures on this site that inspired me, but I can't seem to figure out how to do that.
  • Susan Jacobs
    11 years ago
    The only way to show pictures on this site seems to be to cut and paste the link of the page onto a new comment on this page. Such as this...
    Grandezza Console, Warm Green · More Info
  • libradesigneye
    11 years ago
    This piece would also look great in a glossy accent color - navy or charcoal would be wowsa with that beautiful wood top.
  • PRO
    sixteen fourteen
    11 years ago
    Ditto Annie Sloan Chalk Paint! Maybe white, and keep the top? I don't think ASCP has a true black yet, and depending on the size of the room, it sounds like white would be nice and light with the rest of your elements.
  • Susan Jacobs
    11 years ago
    ASCP has a "Graphite" color that's pretty close, but you're right, it's not true black.
  • Louanne O
    11 years ago
    For a modern look, try a bright pink color, with a much darker grey black to highlight the molding...I dare you.
  • lefty47
    11 years ago
    HI -- I agree about leaving the top -- that's nice. For fun I think it should be the same as the walls or a darker shade or two BM "Grey shower 2125 - 30 "or a fun satin scheen color,.... but to be practical for the future then an Antique White .I wouldn't hi-light the front molding like before , too old fashioned ! Save the handles -- you may need to spray paint them depending on the color you go with .
  • cyn222
    11 years ago
    A deep stone grey or black would be pretty. I personally love missing wood tones so you could do a dark wood with the lighter top.
  • qam999
    11 years ago
    If you really want to change the top, I would consider granite, marble, or engineered stone, cut to fit. If made with a lip, the stone cap could simply be set on top of the wood without nails or glue (using a felt pad to prevent scratches). Any stone fabricator could give you a price on this. The stone would be removable.
  • PRO
    JWinteriors
    11 years ago
    Check out leisurelivingfurniture.com. That's all she does is transforms older pieces with paint
  • pollyannagal
    11 years ago
    For an elegant scheme I would paint it a deeper shade of the wall colour and definitely don't pick out the mouldings with another colour. I think white would be too harsh against the dark dining table. Use an eggshell or chalky finish not anything glossy. Take the handles off before you paint and re-fit them once finished. They tone well with the wooden top but if they're not in good condition you could spray paint them.

It's lovely to keep something like that in the family and to use it. Please show us the finished results!
  • Kathy Durante Horchner
    11 years ago
    If you don't want the pattern on the doors, just switch them from side to side and turn upside down, then hang inside out for a smooth finish. I believe that painting this in a soft lime (fresh hydgrangea color) would be beautiful for your room. You could shadow the inside wood relief pattern just a bit for a real wow, I would paint the whole buffet, or, consider changing out the top with a single 1/2" piece of reclaimed wood, then really rub the lemon oil in to bring out the shine. If you don't do green, yes an ivory would be delicious, painted all ivory, and on the top incorporate either some old crystal lamps, a beautiful mirror above (or both) and a small (3) piece collection of milk glass with a clear vase of hydrangeas. Use the green flower for spring, the big blooms in the pinks, blues and violets for the summer and white for winter.
  • Susan Jacobs
    11 years ago
    If you keep the doors facing out, as they are, I would definitely not highlight the carved recesses with different color. The statement is very strong already, without highlighting it further.
  • elcieg
    11 years ago
    Paint the chest a dark color of your choice and the design white. New hardware will give the piece a contemporary look.
    Bethany Scrolls Chest · More Info

Or paint it darker and the inside of the pattern light for a more quartre foil look, like these chairs.
    Living Room · More Info
  • Susan Jacobs
    11 years ago
    ^That chest does look pretty, though. Hmmm.. Although, you're design looks less delicate than the one in the Bethany Scrolls pic.
  • elcieg
    11 years ago
    Yes, Susan, much more delicate. I can't put my finger on the style of the chest…French/Mediterranean/Chippendale-style bottom. What do you think?
  • nking43
    11 years ago
    I found a source for a sample board of Annie Sloan paints that uses actual paint. If you are uncertain about a color or just want to use it as a starting point or reference, it's easier than sample pots or wooden sticks.

Larissa Hill Designs: Annie Sloan Chalk Paint

larissahill.blogspot.com
  • PRO
    Natural Home Design
    11 years ago
    Wow, I am impressed I could never pick a color until I have more information. How large a room, what's the lighting etc. What i like to do is find a piece of art for my client and then find a color that is very subtle in the art piece and pull that out to use on the furniture. Sometimes I look at rocks ad pick two colors that are close and use those...or
    fabric that is on the dinning room chairs...bringing in a subtle hue of that. I use Old fashion milk paints
  • leelee
    11 years ago
    Paint the part that's the light beige now a shade or two darker than your Wedgewood Gray. Then see how that looks...you might not need to do anything else.
  • jeno999
    11 years ago
    Yikes! I wouldn't paint it. It's a great high end piece in original condition. Probably made by Baker.
  • moniquesmith
    11 years ago
    make it an accent color of your choice the centerpiece so to speak pick something opposite on the color wheel of your palate if not it will be too carefule cookie cutter and dull..... just saying orange yellow red .....!!!!!!! It's only one piece in the room.
  • Maria Pedro Pinho
    11 years ago
    all in a dark white with wood top alone.
  • Lkristine
    11 years ago
    Keep in neutral, that enables easy change in accent color down the road if you so desire. Based on your idea books, I think you would end up being happy with the base of it painted a white color. I would see if you can find a white that is the same as the window trim/shutters. Then update the hardware to make it perfectly transitional.
  • inna1975
    11 years ago
    Just found this picture by mistake looking for something else
  • jimmianne
    11 years ago
    don't try to be too tasteful - add some zip to your decor with wonderful color. I've seen furniture like this painted an almost matte deep rose that made it outstandingly wonderful.
  • Jessica P
    11 years ago
    I love the gray chalk paint...maybe do that with a metallic gold or bronze accent color?
  • aniluap2
    11 years ago
    Good find inna 1975 looks like lkristines mock up! I think the treatment depends on your furniture style but it would b fun in bright accent color like chartreuse
  • Susan Jacobs
    11 years ago
    inna1975, I can't believe you found that.
  • aniluap2
    11 years ago
    That silver cabinet looks great marita. Thanks for posting the site
  • PRO
    Gabberts Design Studio
    11 years ago
    Great picture inna1975! I was going to suggest a charcoal or peacock paint. It will be fun to have an accent piece in your dining room.
  • lvstotrvl
    11 years ago
    I think it's great the way it is. If it's just the doors you don't like remove them & save for the next generation. Add doors to your liking then paint.
  • PRO
    Visual Senses Design
    11 years ago
    Hi I am new here haven't finished my profile.
    But I'd like to share and say the best way to make a piece you really love that does not really match, is to NOT to attempt to MATCH IT!
    Transform it into something that will become for yourself a piece of Art your granny may have been proud of you reviving it and maybe your friends will see it as a real conversation piece.
    So how about to go about it?
    We don't know your age, liking and you haven't added a photo of the entire room and table etc.

Yes you can go the boring way and make it neutral. If your room can muster it you can go dark or you can light or bright. I am a colour lover. This is our show house in South Africa it is eclectic large yet has many cozy corners.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/vicarious1/ but I live in a home in Canada that isn't less colourful.
    Depending your dexterity in painting you could go:
    DARK: Simply paint it all in black mat/ velvet or semi or high gloss finish and if you can make all the relief details
    in gloss or mat or gold or silver leaf. (not the concave)
    You could also paint it a dark gunmetal grey and decorate the entire front (over the ornaments) with gold or silver leaf applied in a very random and irregular manner.
    LIGHT: You could paint it any shade of white ( but plane white that is a no no) use any egshell with grey, blue, pink, beige what ever suits your eye and have all the relief only in aluminum paint or silver leaf or the sunken panels and leave the relief as the main body colour
    BRIGHT. You could paint it all in a rich dark China /mat/ velvet or semi or high gloss red
    with all the relief in gold, or bronze, copper any darker metallic leaf you can find.
    You could also paint it a rich Royal blue or even navy blue in a mat/ velvet or semi or high gloss finish
    with the relief in black or a deep mahogany red.
    If you go for a solid dark colour you could copy the top shape and cut out a stunning pattern wallpaper large scale flowers or tropical leaves maybe with some gold or silver in the pattern or a velvet finish pose it on the top and cover with a pane of glass that you can have cut and made to match with or without beveled edges the ticker the better depending your budget. You could then also wallpaper the concave areas with the same wallpaper.
    OR: Go totally daring. Get it out in an area that is safe spray paint it any bold dark colour and than plash several small pots of contrast colours on top and let it run down over the edge along the sides NATURALLY don't try to intervene and let it take its course.
    OR: if that is to bold take a few brushes and speckle it with different colours from several yards away.
    Make sure it all 100% dry than cover with one layer of varnish or if you know how to a layer of clear high gloss resin.
    OR: If you find yourself the soul of a painter artist get one large SUMIE brush or a large 2-3 " wide brush and with a half dry brush and paint some very large naive flowers or leaves all over the piece folding the petals over the edges and over the recessed panels etc You don't want strokes that are totally full, you want the base colour to show through.
    OR: You go to the flea market and find a bunch of old news papers mabye some that tell things you like or form your grannies time. Wallpaper the entire piece and then paint with mat varnish or gloss varnish and you could also chose crackling varnish that has a cracked old look.
    you can do that white over black, or black over cream ( sort of Chinese)
    UNLESS the top matches 100% anything in the room, it has the go! You don't want a totally off looking wood veneer finish that does NOT match anything else.
    If you want to go green have a glass cut matching and collect a solid stack of autumn leaves or dry flowers simply lay them out on the top and then crash it all under a rather heavy plate of glass (beveled edge would be nice)
    GENERAL INSPIRATION: Here is my personal Pinterest type of photo collection since 1995 there are many tens of thousand of pics collected over many years surfing the net http://smu.gs/XTJb6u there is interiors, Art etc and they go by gallery A, B , C of the same title +- 5000 pics per gallery
    "Rosa" is the word you want to type there once you are are asked for it.
  • pattiegoode
    11 years ago
    Would you consider Red?
    Bar · More Info

I once painted an antique buffet cobalt blue & loved it!
    Blue Server From Reclaimed Wood · More Info

Today, I'm more fond of turquoise (although I use it as accents):
    Eco Friendly Furnture and Lighting · More Info

Regardless of what (if anything) you do to it, you have a very nice piece. I'm sure your grandmother is or would be very proud that you are going to use it. It will look great with a mirror or floating shelves about it in your dining room!
    Westmoreland Cabinet · More Info
  • John Beville
    11 years ago
    I would take a base color two shades darker on the color chart for the carcass, match the linen of your chairs on the panel background and repeat the wall color on the raised panel. Leave the top unchanged.
  • PRO
    David Barrett & Son, Inc.
    11 years ago
    Give it a pop of color like Teal, a beautiful muted purple ( kinda smoky purple).
  • sh ca
    11 years ago
    I would paint the inset portion the same black brown as your dining table and leave the rest of the piece alone. If you want to add fun colors like others are suggesting, do it with buffet lamp shades, curtains or chair upholstery which are easier to change when you get bored with them. Keeping your furniture neutral will keep it timeless.
  • PRO
    Natural Home Design
    11 years ago
    I thought of teal also,but first paint a color close to your wall color and than add in the inset area a teal with a little more grey.