SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
djfiii

How to tell if new growth is a lemon tree sucker

djfiii
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hello -

About 3 years ago I had to cut down a fully grown lemon tree that was already there when I bought my house. It was on the side between the wall and fence, with only about 5 feet laterally. It had grown up over the roof and the insurance company required that it be "trimmed back", which effectively meant I had to cut the whole thing down because of how close it was to the house.

I thought that was the end of it, but about 2 months ago I noticed a little shoot coming up where the tree used to be; actually there were 4-5 of them. At first I thought it was a weed and was going to pull it, but caught the unmistakable whiff of lemon from the leaves, and decided to let it grow. I've been watering it every day and it grew quickly. I cut back all but the main / larger shoot, and it's now about 7 feet tall. It has not branched at all, and the base is starting to turn into wood to support the weight of the larger growth.

My question is - is there a way I can tell if this is actual tree regrowth that might bear fruit, or if it's a sucker that will not bear fruit? I'd like to let it continue growing if it will bear fruit, and would prune it to keep it sized properly for the space that it's in. But if not, I'd probably just get rid of it.

Any pointers are welcome.

Thanks!

David

Comments (6)