SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
klseiverd

flat screen TV??

anoriginal
7 years ago

I may be one of the last people in earth NOT to have a flat screen TV?? I don't have a TV in "every" room... just living-room and kitchen... and both could be labeled "boat anchors", iykwim?!?

Both work just fine... BUT contemplating replacing them. I do NOT need or want a massive movie theater screen in living-room to replace 2-ton 27" set or 1.5-ton maybe 19" set in kitchen. Have seen ads with extremely low prices that I'm kinda considering. Thinking a 32" for living-room and 10" for kitchen??

Here's my main question! I think there are only 3 connections on back of current TV... power cord, connection to cable box, and cable input from outside. No game things, no DVD or DVR (unfortunately). I know I can easily move a new TV around easily. If I unplug things connected to back of current TV, will I EASILY find where to connect them on back of a new flat screen?

Comments (34)

• cooper8828
    7 years ago

Yes, no problem. Mine has all the plugs labeled. :)

• PKponder TX Z7B
    7 years ago

Easy peasy, plug and go.

• Alisande
    7 years ago

If you have a 19" in the kitchen you might be disappointed in going down to 10". I love my 19" kitchen flat screen TV. It's a Panasonic on a swivel mount. Mostly I listen to it more than actually watch it, but the picture is stunning. I think you'll be delighted with your new TVs. I'm not a big TV watcher, and my TVs, while relatively new (the living room one this year) are not top of the line by any means, but I love their beautiful displays.

• Georgysmom
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I just bought a 32" to hang on the wall in the kitchen. It was $145.00! It's really not that big. I would recommend it over the small one I replaced, but I spend a lot of time in the kitchen. Food prep and clean up, etc. I think I bought a 45" for the family room....Not that huge either. The picture is fantastic. You will love it! I also got the 4K ready...not receiving 4K from Direct T.V., but when they provide it, I'll be ready. Since I don't plan on buying any more T.V.'s, thought I would get the most advanced I could at this stage.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

Yes that is a simple setup. I would probably go 19 in the kitchen if that's what you are used to looking at the 10 might be too small in fact I have never seen one. My tablet is bigger than 10".It ddepends on how far you sit from the TV as to the suggested size and age because of eyesight. We have a big room and both have bad eyes we have a 58 inch in the living room and love it a 32 would not be big enough I would not be able to read anything on the screen. We have a 32 for the bedroom which is OK because I rarely watch it and it's closer. We have a 32 in the rv and since we have been living in here I realized we need a bigger screen. Like a 43 maybe. I can't read the menu on screen and any subtitles from my seat across the room we can move this TV to the bedroom, we have hookups there. In the store standing directly in front of them they look huge, in the room at home they look normal. I suggest going to a store that has a viewing room even if you don't buy there, so you get the feel for size in a real room. Costco has very competitive prices and good after service. I ordered my bedroom TV from online with free shipping great deal. The big one is a Samsung, wonderful TV we got it at Costco. They have really come down in price. You can get used ones dirt cheap.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

Yes, it's easy to install. Yes get something larger in the kitchen. If you're going to have it, might as well make it watchable.

Word of caution, a lot of the flat screens have really lousy speakers. They are designed to work with a tuner and sound system so they put the smallest, cheapest things in that you can find. Then they become almost impossible to hear and turning them up loud only makes it distorted.

The last tv we bought, it not only had a better quality sound that was easy to hear, but it had a special setting for "conversation" so it would turn the background down and keep the voices up. Made it so much easier to hear as, for whatever reason, shows but esp movies seem to have the sound track drown out the dialogue so often.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    7 years ago

You will absolutely love your new TVs. Please don't even consider a ten inch; that is simply too small.

We are a three TV household, but not one in the kitchen....have never been interested in that even though I spend a lot of time there.

The size you choose for the living room should depend on where you want to locate it and how far away from the screen that you will be seated. A flat screen isn't nearly as obtrusive as the older models and I suggest that you at least consider going larger than you think is necessary.

You will love the experience; I wish that I could be with you when you enjoy your first viewing!

• lily316
    7 years ago

We are a three TV house too. Sun room has a 32 inch and keeping room a 50? I think. The kitchen has an old Zenith behind sliding cupboard doors. I don't know what size it is but it won't break. It's not a flat screen and I will not replace something that works fine. But when it does, I'm going bigger with flat screen.

• User
    7 years ago

I0 inches is incredibly small and more tablet size. I can't even imagine that a tv that size would be available anymore.

When we decided to go flat, I said the same thing, I really wanted a smaller scale and not the movie theater experience that was getting so popular. We ended up going with a 55 incher which was obviously bigger than I had wanted but it's perfect and I love it. And now I've happily admitted to Dh that he was right.

So based on my experience, I think that if you're going to buy a tv, you should consider getthe the size that will fit most comfortably to the scale of your room. When it's all said and done, I think you'll be pleased that you did.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    7 years ago

This is a 3 TV household too. We've replaced two of them with Samsung in the last few years and I noticed an improvement in the sound quality. I don't read wonderful things about Samsung appliances, but I do like their televisions. Costco + coupon ;0)

A word of caution though, don't size it too big for comfortable viewing. Or is it just me who finds it hard to focus on an oversized screen in a not so large room - I do admit to being past due for an eye exam. My brother was one of the first I knew to go for the high def, huge televisions and back when they were expensive. His family room then wasn't large enough to support that and seated close, it was hard for me to watch programming comfortably.

• Vertise
    7 years ago

The tv size should be determined by viewing distance. There are charts online showing how to figure it out.

• kathleen44
    7 years ago

I am thrilled to death to finally getting flat screen, my old tv did it while it was working great but then it got darker and darker and couldn't see anything to read on it and pretty bad it was. Went to visit brother and sil and oh, wow, talk about tiny like computer size small, sil demanded that size tv and I can't see it at all, crazy, they do have a huge tv downstairs for their two sons to watch. I agree position yourself where you would sit and watch the tv at home so you can see if you read it and see it plus hear it too. I just can't believe how clear and easy to see now the tv I bought. Its a toshiba as they want you to buy the huge tv's and I do not want that with small rooms I would be to watching it. NO hanging on wall as not allowed where I am moving too as too many aren't done properly and smash down and so its out hanging them up on wall.

• anoriginal
    Original Author
    7 years ago

OOPS! That 10" was a typo... meant 19" ! I think 19" is the smallest I've seen anywhere. I could go to W-mart or Best Buy and get a 32" and a 19" and not spend much more than $200 total. Hardest thing will be getting rid of old sets? Ya can't leave them at the curb for trash pick-up... they will just sit there... people who roll thru night before trash pick up (looking for flea market stuff to resell) don't even want them. I don't think Good Will will take a TV any longer? I know I can manage setting up a flat screen, but wouldn't even think of attempting to move either of the "boat anchors" in my house. Just might go out and get 2 new TVs tomorrow... everybody's got some sort of Labor Day sale going on. When "kid" who cuts my grass comes back, I'll ask him if he wants either one or both... or knows someone else who might. They both still work fine. Have been saying I'll wait till one/both die before replacing, but they're so inexpensive now!

• Georgysmom
    7 years ago

Try calling Habitat for Humanity......their rehab store might take it for resale. They will let you know if they want it. Free pick up.

• anoriginal
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Georgy'smom... will definitely check that out! Thanks for the tip!

• User
    7 years ago

We got a flat screen about 7 yrs ago then I bought one for the bedroom about 5 yrs ago. I just wish I had gotten a bigger one. I can hardly read the guide.

• Alisande
    7 years ago

My Salvation Army takes heavy TVs, as long as they work.

I was surprised at low TV prices just two days ago. I stopped at Sam's Club for something, and walked through the TV aisle. That's where I bought my 43" Hitachi (with 120Hz refresh rate--something I needed) earlier this year. I paid $299, which I thought was a good deal. I'm very happy with it and wouldn't want anything larger, but on Friday there was a 50" version of the same TV for $299! Other models from various manufacturers were also surprisingly low.

• FlamingO in AR
    7 years ago

I think Best Buy will take the old ones. One thing to look for when picking a TV, the picture when viewed from an angle. I could watch our old LG flat screen from anywhere in the room but the new Vizio? I have to be right in front. Get off to the side even a little and the color disappears. Wish I'd noticed beforehand. And it got good reviews, too! Well, not from me!

• wildchild2x2
    7 years ago

My desktop monitor is 25". I sit only a couple feet away from it. I can't imagine a TV any smaller. If I had the space my monitor would be bigger.

No smaller than 32" for a kitchen IMO and much larger for any other room.

You choose flat screens differently than old TVs. For example the maximum suggested viewing distance (that's how far away you are from it) for a 42" screen is 10.5 feet and you go down 1/2 foot for each size down. A 39" TV would be about 10 foot max. You have to consider where you will be viewing it from and where it will be placed. TV on the wall increases your distance from it even before stepping back.

• User
    7 years ago

Becareful about just using price as your guide, not all flat screens are treated equally and brand in this case really does matter. You're better off paying a tad more if it means better quality. We have a Panasonic in the living room and installed a Visio in the bedroom not too long ago. I HATE the Visio, it's junk. The sound is horrible, the picture is not as crisp and over all it's just not a very good set. On the other hand, the Panasonic's picture is gorgeous and the sound is pretty good too and recently, the same tv was being sold for half the price at Costco. Sound on the flat screens is known for being rather poor, so be sure to really pay attention to how it sounds.

• Georgysmom
    7 years ago

I have two Vizio's and both have a great picture and the sound is fine. When Direct T.V. guy came he said of all the T.V.'s he sees, Vizio has the best picture.

• User
    7 years ago

We have a 23" in the kitchen, and a 55" in our living room. We wish we had gone larger on both, now. We have a 42" in our bedroom and it's borderline regarding size.

• lily316
    7 years ago

I have a Sony in the keeping room and husband has a vizio in the sunroom and both work equally well.

• maire_cate
    7 years ago

klseiverd - We live in the same general area and I take my old TV's to Goodwill. Burlington County won't take them any longer, not even at the Hazardous Waste facility. If you're a Comcast customer there's a Comcast store in the Centerton Square shopping center in Mt. Laurel and they are surprisingly helpful. When we got our last high definition flat screen we went there to exchange our old cable box for a new Xfinity box so that we could record programs.

If you go to Best Buy you can have an employee show you the back of the TV and explain where the cables go. It is really simple.

• anoriginal
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Maire cate... planned to get sales person to "show me theirs". I'm very much a visual person & I like GOOD step-by-step directions. And you are in same general area. About to head out 38 to THAT Best Buy in a short time. Even though pretty much a toss up over prices, at W-mart all they have are "kids" who probably know a LOT about TVs but not much about explaining things?!?

Lily316... What's a "keeping room"??

• maire_cate
    7 years ago

A keeping room is a room or an open area off the kitchen. The name goes back to Colonial days and the room was a multi-use area usually with a fireplace. Think of it as a kitchen/family room.

• User
    7 years ago

Well, maybe they vary by model or you have nothing to compare them to because ours is awful compared to the Panasonic and I would not recommend them as a result. My older sister also swears by her Visio but it's the only brand of flat TV she has had, so again, nothing to compare it to.

• Jasdip
    7 years ago

Often, flat screen tv's sound isn't the best, so people buy sound bars to go in front of them. They're so thin, it's hard to install decent audio equipment. We bought in inexpensive sound bar and it makes a huge difference.

• chisue
    7 years ago

We sit about 8' from a 23" Samsung that sits on a buffet in the breakfast room.

We're 12' from a 42" Sony in the 'library'. That's the largest size that will fit in the space available in a wall bookshelf, but larger would be fine, too.

We chose the Samsung after trying a Vizio -- noticeably tinny sound as a stand-alone set. (Might work fine as just a monitor, part of a sound system.)

kelsiverd -- If you have a sound system, Blu-ray, anything else beyond a cable box, you may need some different cables/adapters. We replaced our receiver for the library when we switched to Xfinity from DirecTV. (Many thanks to Raven for help doing that!)

• lily316
    7 years ago

Maire_Cate said it well. We have a 180-year-old house , and the keeping room IS connected to the kitchen( as a separate room but flow together). It has a crooked back staircase to the back bedroom. It is just a family room in modern terms.

• Vertise
    7 years ago

Without model numbers, comparing brands doesn't mean much. Most brands have a range of products from inexpensive to expensive for different pocketbooks.

• artemis_ma
    7 years ago

Sound bar? Does that attach to the monitor/tv, and if so, where?

I'm going to go for a 40 - 42 inch flatscreen LED -- probably wall mounted but able to be angled when watched -- flat against the wall when not. I really don't have space for a larger one where I want to put it. (I could, if I wanted to ruin the first wall that someone looks at when they walk into the living room, but that wall will be for art!)

• cynic
    7 years ago

After the digital changeover I got tired of dealing with the converter boxes. I bought a 7" (yes SEVEN inch) on clearance at Target to use in the kitchen. Worked great. Sound was surprising, clear picture and with my small kitchen it was plenty. I thought going from the 13" I had there would be a problem but it wasn't. After I was going through the operations I used it in the bedroom. There I had it on the nightstand so viewing it was actually viewing a larger screen than watching the 48" I now have in the living room considering distance. People keep telling me to connect the computer to the TV and I say WHY? For me it's a larger screen, plus I can multi-task. When others are here we usually don't watch much TV and when we do, it's broadcast anyway. I had a 19" in the living room until I recently got the larger one and with the clarity, it was just fine as a replacement for the 27" CRT model it replaced, plus I had it a little closer to the sitting area so the actual watching size was comparable.

However, replacing the old 4x3 with a 16x9, you lose on viewing area. You get more width, but lose on height. There's some compensation using the "cinema" aspect ratio but if you want to watch full widescreen it's going to require a larger set. As I recall the comparable widescreen to a 27" CRT required about 39" to give same view. Putting them side by side and you're going to see it more clearly. When I was looking a while back I had a 32" (CRT), and in order to get comparable viewing to a 32" set would require a 42"-45" Just to get a comparable viewing.

Sound on my 19" Dynex is not good but the video reception is far better than the 48" Insignia. Don't recall offhand the brand on the little one but the speaker is on the back of the set so sound is poor, UNLESS I put something behind it to reflect the sound, then it's just fine.

So judge size carefully and be sure to take into account the distance to it. For me, clarity made a difference. I don't do cable or satellite so that might make a difference. Also depends on what you watch. If you enjoy the classic shows that were in 4x3 format that will make a difference too. TV used to be simple.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County