SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bonsaiprice

sick bonsai.....................help!

bonsaiprice
7 years ago

I've had this little guy for a few years. I'd last re-potted a year ago as he was sharing the planting with a tree that didn't make it. That's why the rock was added. For the balance the other tree served. It's tolerated this change without complaint till the past month. For the past month it's been having leaf yellowing and loss with a march toward droopyness.

Thinking of all the normal causation's, I slowed the watering cycle, upped the misting cycle and put it in the prominent sun place in the window where it got the most direct sunlight and even directed a grow lamp to on the tree for a few days.The summer sun through that window is indirect in the morning and direct in the afternoon. The ambient room temperature is a constant 81 F degrees.

No luck! As the leaf yellowing and loss continued I went full bore and re-potted. Fresh potting soil was used. I did a full careful rinse of the root system which appeared strong. I literally sterilized the mud men, rocks and the overlay of small river stones, thinking of the possibility of over fertilizing could have cause it and may have has residual remaining on these amendments.After the proper incantations I sat back with hope.

I successfully use a very diluted Miriacle-Gro powder at literally half strength once about every six months. Applied in a gentle spray on the surface riverbed stones to the equivalent volume of no more than one to two Tbs. The Miraclel-Gro plant food calls for making up the liquid mixture at 1/2 tsp powder per gallon. I reduce it to 1/4 tsp per gallon. Very diluted. It is never leaf, limb or trunk applied and is then immediately water spray rinsed into the soil.

I run a regular check for moisture content and have come to a watering schedule which works out to a weekly cycle for measured watering and misting daily or every other day. At the photo taking this AM all three planting showed "moisture of about 5 on the 1 to 10 scale and a 1 on the Alkaline side of the 1 to 10 gauge. Half way through the next watering cycle.

One actually end result of the re-potting was a more pleasing configuration of the rock and the tree.

This was a "Walmart Special" Taiwan Fig, as are all my guys ...................( Re-pot was honored when I first got it. The whole "save it from Walmart regime", new potting soil, carefully removing the "patented" gluey stones, rinsing the roots and proper re-potting procedures.)

It's had some good early training as you can see by the good trunk shapes including the mature joining of two limbs. That early attention to configuration before I acquired it was reason for getting it after a search of three Walmarts for the "perfect tree".

This is one of my favorite and has tolerated my attention to modification so far including 3/4 of a year of limb twining as they grew in length vertically, re-configuring the limbs by un-twining to their natural positions when they gained proper length, and the careful removing of four low limbs for aesthetic balance. Again the tree tolerate all this gentle persuasion very well. If it recovers, the limb growth will be directed to a cascade over the rock.

You can see in the photos some of the leaves from a companion tree. Although one yellowing leaf is prevalent on that one it doesn't evidence that high level of leaf loss and yellowing.

The first two photos are of the same tree about six and eight months ago. He seemed like a happy boy then! In the grouping he's towards the window. They were photographed four and six months after the un-twining of the limbs and the lopping of four lower limbs. You can see evidence of healthy leaf and limb growth. Sadly, the very little pre-Bonsai in the back in that group photo bit the dust about the same time and my little guy started to droop, drop and yellow. That one was a Lowes reject I was trying to nurse back to health. It had achieve strong leaf and limb growth but upon closer inspection I found the trained exterior root was softening and when I roto-cut it off I discovered it had also lost all subsurface rooting. A proper ceremony including a flush was the end of the runt.

At the mentioned latest re-potting of the sick Bonsai, all three were sink flushed with a gentle stream of water to saturation and through flow.

I hope I've given enough information to receive a resolve!

Is my best bet now just to play the waiting game, or can something else be done for this little guy? Right now he continues to droop, loose leaves and those leaves remaining are hanging on by a thread.

I don't want to loose this little tree! Thanks, Price.....Bonsaiprice

Comment

Sponsored