SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkyartoo

Glasses with Prisms - initial experience

Funkyart
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

So I got the first of my glasses in today. Short recap: in order to (hopefully) correct my amblyopia (lazy eye) and lost of stereo vision and depth perception, I will be getting glasses with prisms in the lenses. Because my astigmatism is extreme and I will be working on regaining stereo vision, we opted to go with distance glasses and near glasses (computer & reading) vs progressives. Because the prescription is tricky, I was told to get one pair first.. wear them for a few days to a few weeks and make sure the prescription is good before ordering the other pair and sunglasses.

Today I picked up the distance lenses. Wow. It is a little weird as every once in a while I feel a little wonky in the eyes but that's because my left eye is trying to work. My vision is SO much better.. and everything is so clear. It's like the world suddenly went HD. The biggest surprise is that already my left eye is trying to pull back. I keep checking it out in any mirror I pass and a majority of the time, the eye is aligned. Not 90% of the time but definitely 53% of the time. Of course I am aware of it right now and it will take months for it to correct completely, if it is going to but I am already pleased with the results.

Tomorrow will be a bigger test. I'll walk in the city and see how that goes.. maybe even walk down the 7 flights of stairs and see if it still freaks me out (ok, maybe I should wait a few weeks to try that one).

They did a SUPER job with the lenses. They do not at all look like coke bottles--something I was a bit concerned about. I did get the very highest index I could.

The other fear I had is that was whether it would be weird in the range between distance and near vision. I wasn't sure how it would be in a meeting or across the desk from someone-- but really, it's fine. Great even. The only issue is that I really can't read with them-- and I can't use them with my computer monitor. That's ok-- I mean, they weren't meant for computer or reading.

I had originally planned to wait a few weeks but I am going to order the next two pairs on Tuesday. No reason to wait longer when I can tell these are fine.

It is too early to tell if this will be the fix.. or if I will require surgery.. but so far I think it's looking good. I am even more hopeful today than I was when the dr told me it was an option.

It's funny, I kind of expected fireworks -- I mean this is potentially life changing for me-- but no, no fireworks. They just feel normal. Life changing but normal.

Comments (40)