SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mikerno_1micha

Off Topic....Please see this every one..

myermike_1micha
7 years ago

Wanted to share an awesome video with you all. One my whole family loves and one I thought you enjoy!!! Just when you though people were bullied growing up or felt weir, this guy says it all))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDIQfTdKWuY

Comments (74)

• orangelime1
    7 years ago

Wow let's embrace each others difference's and be kind to one another especially to our friends here on the forum that have known each other for along time . Bravo Mikey beatiful thread . Hugs buddy.

Brian

myermike_1micha thanked orangelime1
  • poncirusguy6b452xx
    7 years ago

Thanks Laura I am glad to hear your tree is coming through.

Steve

• Related Discussions

I see their ads in about every paper and magazine.

Q

Comments (3)
    I don't know anything about the EdenPure jobbies, but years ago when Steve and I lived in Minneapolis (separately), he installed a Napoleon direct vent, zero-clearance fireplace and built the surround himself. He hooked the start mechanism into a separate thermostat in the basement, so it powered up whenever the basement chilled down. I remember it being 13" deep, being 90-something% energy efficient and kicking off 20,000-something BTUs, but I can't recall specifics or a make or model. What I do remember is that the basement became not only tolerable, but the the comfiest place to be in the winter after that... and the furnace became less herky-jerky in its operation. I seem to recall him paying $900 for it... I don't know that it decreased his utility bills, but it didn't increase them any, and it created about 800 sf of livable space out of what had been an intolerably cold (though finished) half-sunk basement...
    ...See More

Why Has Every Single Leaf Fallen Off My Climbing Roses?

Q

Comments (11)
    I am the original poster of this message. I haven't had a chance to take photos yet but I will do that soon. I remember when I looked on the ground around the base of my roses, it was as if the leaves had just disintegrated. The leaves weren't even in big enough pieces to see what happened to them. As I said before, I had been distracted with houseguests and other things for awhile so I didn't notice this problem until it was way too late to look at the leaves and try to diagnose what happened. The leaves just seemed to have ended up on the ground as a sawdust-like material. I will look tonight to see if there are any new signs of leaves. They have been without leaves for a long time now. I did think of one thing that I did differently this spring. In addition to an extremely steamy, humid and wet spring and early summer, I put down a heavy layer of shredded wood mulch from Southern States. Not sure exactly what it was comprised of. I usually use a thin layer of pine chips.
    ...See More

Off-Topic- Please help identify this bug found under my monitor

Q

Comments (24)
    They can also get into your house and eat paper, clothes, or anything else they feel like eating. Sometimes they'll chew on something that's wet, just to get moisture. And once they're in your house, they'll wake you up in the middle of the night with their chirping songs. The Chinese consider them good luck when in the house. But they do eat a LOT of things including your food as well as the pet food. A baby one means there are more somewhere. Put out fly paper with cornmeal on it as a trap. They will jump on and you can take them outside. If you leave baseball gloves or other leather items outside the crickets will chew up the leather and ruin it. So it is OK to have them but they are not completely benign. Good Luck !! And I hope your headache is way way better. c
    ...See More

Seeing more scapes every day

Q

Comments (10)
    I love your peonies! They are so pretty, but I can see how the Spring storms and heat can affect them. We had two at the house where I grew up in Indiana, a pink and a white. The flowers seemed to last much longer in that climate. I had one here years ago, but between the flopping after storms, the heat and the ants, I took it out. More scapes are coming all the time. As of yesterday, I had 15 seedlings with scapes and eight established registered ones. There are also seven new acquisitions with scapes. one that may start blooming by next week. Debra
    ...See More
  • Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

Thanks Steve! It has at least four sprouts. I'm doing a happy dance!

• ubro
    7 years ago

mike, your love of citrus makes you interesting not weird.

• figsinhawaii
    7 years ago

Mike, it is absolutely not weird to love plants and your citrus! Gardening is such a natural and healthy hobby. One million times over, I would rather have a man who was addicted to citrus trees than say, video games or motorcycles. No offense to video gamers or motorcycle enthusiasts if you are reading this ; )

• jersey21
    7 years ago

I agree with Figs Mike, not wierd to be into plants. When I go to my local nurseries to ask questions and pick up supplies...they're all guys. And they are the nicest and most helpful. I love talking to them!

• Monica bf N. Carolina zone 7B
    7 years ago

Thanks for the kind words Mike, I appreciate it. My Hoyas (75) and citrus trees have become a great escape and distraction from the everyday stresses that come with raising a special needs child (in full blown puberty no less).

I have friends with children my sons age but have pulled away from them slowly because our circumstances and life have become so different. I also got so tired of them asking what sports or activities my son was doing in comparison to theirs. They just don't understand that my son is not interested in sports and would rather talk about current events, politics, history or his ever growing coin collection. He can beat anyone in a game of chess but their kids have no idea how to play that game.

He's learned how to keep himself entertained with things as I have with my plants. And our 2 doodles (lab & golden) keep us entertained and provide companionship. The forums do that for me as well.

Laura - I'm posting this poem for you. I'm not sure if you ever read it before but it always brings tears to my eyes as it describes my son perfectly.

myermike_1micha thanked Monica bf N. Carolina zone 7B
  • Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

Thanks Monica. It brought tears to my eyes as well. Have you read "the Reason I Jump"? If you have not, I can't say how much I recommend that book. I gave a copy to my son's teacher last year and they put it in their library. She has been teaching special Ed for 30 years and calls my Alex "an enigma"...lol! I obtained a K waiver for him this year even though he taught himself to read before he was three. I am going to homeschool him this year with my older daughters (my oldest goes to high school). It will be tough, but the best thing for him. My mom helps me a lot, and I am going to pay someone to come in for a few hours twice a week to work with him. I think that's one of the reasons I like being with my trees - a peaceful break! Funny, a while ago Vladimir asked me if I talk to my trees - I said no. I like the fact that they are quiet and can't talk back!! Lol

myermike_1micha thanked Laura LaRosa (7b)
  • poncirusguy6b452xx
    7 years ago

Going to tree beats going to bars and night clubs any day

myermike_1micha thanked poncirusguy6b452xx
  • jersey21
    7 years ago

Monica, what a beautiful poem. I don't have any of the same issues, but I found myself pulling away from friends and their kids when my kids were in high school. People that I thought were friends, would step on me and my kids just to get ahead. I didn't want to live that way, so I just kept the good ones!! Hang in there, you seem like a wonderful person. All those who love plants so much are, right??

myermike_1micha thanked jersey21
    7 years ago

Thanks Jersey21. (Can I assume by your name you live in Jersey? I'm a Jersey girl - born and raised)

Laura - I haven't read that book, thanks for the recommendation. I just got "Love that Boy" by Ron Fournier about his son with Aspergers. For the last 7 years we were treating my son for ADHD and OCD, (6 doctors told us he is NOT on the spectrum). His behaviors changed with puberty so we went to a top child and adolescent psychiatrist at UNC and Duke and he diagnosed Aspergers and a pediatric neurologist confirmed Aspergers which is now high functioning autism.

I applaud you for home schooling. I wish I had the discipline and patience to do it. My son goes to private school but I'll need to rob a bank soon - lol.

I don't talk to my plants either. The dogs put up with me for now....but it's comforting to know the trees and plants are always there! :-)

• User
    7 years ago

I talk to my trees because they are like my children. I talk to my dogs for the same reason. They are bilingual because I talk to them in Russian and English. (They are more likely to obey Russian commands.)

Jersey, what you said reminded me of what happened when my daughter had leukemia. My best friend for 20 years stopped being my friend I guess because he just could not deal with it. He just sort of faded away. She is fine now but we did go through unbelievable hell for almost a year.

myermike_1micha thanked User
    7 years ago

Vladimir- I'm glad to hear your daughter is doing well now. I'm sorry your family had to experience that. There's nothing worse than seeing your child suffer.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

Oh Vladimir, that is tough. A neighbor of mine had a daughter with leukemia (2 years old) while my son was in the NICU. He was born 4 months early (1lb 9oz) and had four surgeries all relating to the prematurity. We bonded through our experience, although hers was longer. Her daughter is fine now and I am happy to hear that yours is also. I will admit, I did say hello to my trees recently in the morning, but my house is so chaotic (but fun - it's a good chaos) that I like the peace I get from the trees! I am sorry to hear about your friend. My best friend remained solid for me during that whole ordeal. I guess everyone responds differently to situations.

• jersey21
    7 years ago

Vladimir, I'm so happy that you're daughter is ok. That is so horrible for any parent to go through. I've watched my parents ( my brother died over 30 years ago from a kidney disease ) they can never be the same. I certainly live differently because of that. Very little rattles me...life is too precious, as is family!

On a lighter note....Monica where in Jersey??? And my son is in Jacksonville NC...are you anywhere near there? My name is Mary btw...nice to meet you here:))

myermike_1micha thanked jersey21
  • myermike_1micha
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Look at how many friends we are making...It's funny, but I'm thinking most of use come here expecting to talk trees only and not to make friends..And yet it's infectious, because there is no way you can come here without getting to know each other and making lasting friendships..I have made many here, and continue to do so. Some I have know for over ten years and some I have had breakfast with and yet other I have had over my home and vise versa..I am thinking we do look out for each other and for each others trees)))

Monica, my hats off to you..All those Hoya and trees and yet you find the time to give your family all the love that they need besides...It's good to know people like you))) I wish you all the best in future days..By the way, my Mom read that poem and she cried too..It's just so true and so beautiful..Feel free to share as many as you want here. They mean so much to me and others...)))

Vladimir, I am SO happy you daughter is ok...That's great and can you teach me to speak Russian..? My trees could use some discipline..lol

Laura, way to go..You continue to amaze me in all that you do.

Figs and Ubro..Thank you

Steve, your so right

• ubro
    7 years ago

Nice to hear your daughter came thru Vladimir, so did my son from lymphoma. Pure hell is an apt description of what the process was like. Watching a child suffer is indeed one of the toughest jobs on the planet. Trying to understand family or friends who choose to disappear when you need them most is nigh impossible. ( had a few of those too )

I joined the citrus forum just a little while ago, the respect and kindness is why I keep coming back. Hats off to all here who welcome new posters in such a kind manner.

myermike_1micha thanked ubro
  • User
    7 years ago

What ubro said: I joined the citrus forum just a little while ago, the respect and
    kindness is why I keep coming back. Hats off to all here who welcome new
    posters in such a kind manner.
    Applies to me, too.

myermike_1micha thanked User
  • Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

Me too!!! I have friends here now! I hope someday to meet some of you! Whenever you decide to visit the DC area...you can visit my jungle!!

7 years ago

Hi Mary, nice to meet you. I grew up in Hawthorne and moved to Ramsey (North Bergen County) after getting married. We moved to Raleigh in 2005 for husband's job. We even lived in France for a couple years.

I've never been to Jacksonville but it looks like a beautiful area as its so close to the beaches. I'd say Jacksonville is about 2 hours south east of Raleigh.

Most of the forums I visit on Gardenweb have some really amazing people! They are so helpful with their knowledge and experience as well as kindness. They've all been very accepting of newbies, even if they answer the same questions dozens of times lol

I'm mostly on the Hoya forum (as those are the most plants I have), back on Citrus and once in a while Cacti and succulents and Houseplants. I met Jason (on the forum) from Exotic Angel (Costa Farms), they are one of the biggest nurseries that supply all the big retail chains, and he sent me a huge Hoya (that they no longer grow for retail) gratis. I couldn't believe the generosity!

Sometimes coming on the forums and "chatting" feels like I picked up the phone to call a friend. :-)

• hobbyartisan (Saskatoon, SK Canada, 2b)
    7 years ago

Thanks for sharing Mike and all, I will definitely share your video. Agree with all, weird is wonderful!!

• jersey21
    7 years ago

Hey Monica...I grew up in Newark and moved to River Vale 27 years ago, not very far from Ramsey. We fly into Raleigh to when we go to visit our son in Jacksonville. He's currently in the marine corps and there are no direct flights.

You are right, there are amazing people on these forums. Everyone is so helpful and I've really learned so much. Sometimes I feel bad asking repetitive questions, but they are so patient and especially encouraging. It would be nice to meet people face to face at some point, but you're right in that it does feel like I've picked up the phone and chatted with a friend!

• User
    7 years ago

Hey Monica and Mary, I grew up in Passaic, left to go to Syracuse U., came back and lived in Newark where I got my masters degree at Rutgers Newark. I am now in Massachussets.

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    7 years ago

Vlad, I got my undergraduate degree from Rutigers Newark.

Cory

7 years ago

What a small world. We used to go shopping in Passaic to the Hungarian butcher shops (both my parents were born in Hungary)

I miss Jersey. Most of my family still lives there. And, I miss the food! It only took about 10 years to find good pizza down here. Oh, and they finally started selling Drakes cakes in the supermarkets. I was so excited to see Yodels, I bought 3 boxes! lol

7 years ago

Mary - I was distracted by the thought of food (lol) and wanted to thank your son for his service. I have the utmost respect for all our military members and their families for all their sacrifices to serve and protect us and our great nation. Thank you.

• myermike_1micha
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Me too....THANK YOUR SON for all he does for us Mary)

Monica, I have never been to Jersey but boy after how you described it, I would love to go for a visit....By the way, when do you plan on bringing your Hoya back in? Do you have them outside? Do you spray them all with pesticide before they come inside for the fall? Thanks for coming back our way..I love the poems you post and anything you have to say along with many others)) Love your back round. You're right, chatting does feel like making a phone call to a very good friend..I love it here with the ones I have gotten to know))

• Atheen - 7a - in Maryland, USA
    7 years ago

Mike, I just saw this, it was beautiful!

myermike_1micha thanked Atheen - 7a - in Maryland, USA
  • jersey21
    7 years ago

Thank you Monica and Mike...I will pass it along to my son. These young men and women make many sacrifices, yet they don't see it that way. I am proud of him and all our military.

And yes, what a small world it is. Vladimir, Monica and Cory have ties to New Jersey...yeah. Mike, I know I mentioned it somewhere, but my daughter is at school in Boston. What a great state. We have been vacationing for years at the Cape. This is her senior year so my husband and I plan to go up once a month. Monica, I think Boston has the best Italian food other than Italy lol. I'm Italian and we adore the north end of Boston...haven't had a bad meal yet!!!

I'm so glad I've met all of you...it feels like old friends. Love chatting with you guys:))

• myermike_1micha
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Atheen..Where the heck have you been? How's the hubby these days? How are you coping? I am so glad you liked that video..It is pretty touching for sure..Makes one think about themselves and those they love..

Mary, if ever you guys are coming up, let me know..We can go to a local place that makes great home made food for a great price, up the street from me and you could see some of my plants while you are at it...I respect people like your son so much and you parents that sacrifice the time you could of spent with them..Love you all

7 years ago

Mary, the world gets smaller yet. We go to the Cape every year. My husband, born and raised in CT, spent the entire summer at the Cape since he was 10 years old. My in-laws have a house in Harwich Port. It's about 1 1/2 blocks from the beach.

Mike - I love Boston. So much history in that beautiful city. We named our Labradoodle Quincy because we love going to Quincy Market every time we're there.

Jersey friends....can someone send me some hotdogs all the way from Johnny and Hanges, Falls View Grill or Goffle Grill? (Just kidding) There is no such thing down here. Whenever I come up that's the first thing I get. :-)

7 years ago

Mike - I have all my hoyas on my screened porched. Im hoping to put them in the greenhouse once its all set up. (just waiting on the contractor - he's building a house right now....the nerve lol).

I actually haven't had too many pest issues. I think I had mites, as I introduced a new hoya without sufficient quarantine time. Nothing I did helped so I had to use some Forbid. I've been using those yellow sticky cards in the pots and its amazing how many little flying things are stuck on them lol

Ive been trying to stay away from chemicals as long as I can. The biggest problem I've had with my hoyas is root rot. Ive received many new ones that already had the beginnings of rot but by the time I noticed, they were really too far gone. Shipping plants in the intense heat doesn't help either.

Im putting a wish list together and plan to order from a vendor in (Ah Hoya) Thailand that has some very beautiful hoyas. Others on the hoya forum have received plants from him and they are all very happy.

• jersey21
    7 years ago

Oh my gosh...this is great! Monica, we spent years in Brewster. We actually started looking this year to hopefully get a 2nd home in the cape. My kids love it there. It's such an amazing place!! I was up there with my youngest before we took her back to college. We watched the sunset at Race Point Beach. The dunes there are truly magnificent. As far as jersey hot dogs go... Did you ever have a hot dog from Rutts hut? Deep fried hot dogs lol haven't had them in years tho.

Mike, that's a deal! Would love to see your plants and meet you, tho I feel like I know you already. I'll definitely be up there a lot and would really enjoy treating you to dinner for all the help, encouragement and kindness you have shown. You're a very special person!

• User
    7 years ago

Mary, my friends and I used to hang out at Rutt's Hut and watched the drag races down below on Rt 21. Did a little racing myself.

• jersey21
    7 years ago

Vladimir, I just can't believe what a small world it is. Never saw races on 21, but will admit to seeing how fast my camaro could go. If my kids ever did that, I would have had a heart attack lol

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    7 years ago

To avoid heat attacks I drove a 1984 Diesel Rabbit that could reach 85 MPH max. It died when it turned 27 years old leaving me with excellent heat health.

6b Steve Cincinnati, Oh

• User
    7 years ago

But Steve, the cardiovascular system needs some stimulation once in a while! :)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    7 years ago

2 time annually Carry the trees out side in spring. Carry the trees back inside for winter. that should be enough.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

The first car I ever bought for myself once I was out of college and employed was a Mustang GT (5.0). I loved that car - the clutch was very hard, but it was incredibly fun to drive! Yes...a little drag racing for me also on deserted roads in Miami. I cried when I sold it! My husband hated it - it scared him (he's not a gear head ;-). It did not do well in the snow and I drove it back and forth to Baltimore for the first two years of grad school. I tell my kids that someday, when I'm an old lady, I'll be driving a Mustang Cobra. My son is musical and has a band. He knows that if he ever makes it big, he needs to get me one of those ;-)

• myermike_1micha
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Monica.............Forbid is great stuff..I still have that stuff..It smells strong bu does wonders...By the way, tonight is vote off night on America's Got Talent..I hope they that is America voted to keep him in..By the way, that's a great spot for your Hoya...I keep all mine hanging outside on both sides of my Arbor I made...I love them all! I have a few in my greenhouse and a few more in my plant room under skylights up stairs...Question???

Do you find that they hate to be transplanted? Once you do, a few leaves will turn yellow and look sad for a few weeks then come back strong again? Do you know of any from that place that sell very fragrant ones of very colorful leaf ones? If you do, please let me know...You are awesome and thanks for staying with us)))))))

• myermike_1micha
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Laura, is that a beach your kids are playing in? It looks awesome and it looks like your daughter loves her brother much..So nice.

7 years ago

Thanks Mike. There are two vendors in Thailand that are great and have good web sites Ahhoyadotcom and Epiphyticadotcom.

There is a good vendor in Florida- Gardinos. If you go to their web site and click on Hoyas - she has them broken down into categories- fragrant/scented Hoyas and Hoyas for the foliage lover.

These are my two favorites for foliage

Hoya Australis Lisa

Macrophylla- Snow Queen

7 years ago

Mary - Rutts Hut was great. It's in Clifton right? I also liked Callahan's in Fort Lee.

All this talk of Jersey and food is making me homesick. I think I need to visit my brother lol He lives down near the shore in Tinton Falls.

• myermike_1micha
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Monica..I have that top one! Lisa that is..It's one of my favorites too...It gets such red leaves and I could always take a pic for you))) Have you ever been to Boston yet? If you are ever up this way just let me know...I can show you some great places to eat.

Beautiful Snow Queen by the way. It's a winner.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

Beautiful Monica! Mike, yes, that is a Lewis beach in Delaware. We went there this summer...and yes, she does adore him. He adores her also! It warms my heart to see how much my kids love each other!

• jersey21
    7 years ago

Monica...yes Callahan's and Hirams was right down the road! You're taking me down memory lane!

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    7 years ago

For you Mike...

Found this guy hopping around the yard tonight

Evan

7 years ago

Hi Mike - would you believe I got that Australis Lisa from Poland? All that distance and its one of the healthiest Hoyas I have.

Yes, I've been to Boston several times.. Next summer we're thinking of going back and taking my son to Salem and teach him about the Salem Witch trials, Bunker Hill, Plymouth Plantation etc.. I know he'll love it because he loves history.

• myermike_1micha
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Evan, you're too kind! You know how much I love frogs..As much as I love my citrus,....lol Thanks buddy That's a cute one..

Monica, that's crazy..All that distance but far worth it. I love how the RED leaves come out and change color over time..It even pretty with or without the flowers..It's a keeper I'd say. Boston is wonderful. I take time once every month or so to take a train in by myself and just walk around. It puts me in my own world..Guess, that's weird..lol As long as I don't spend money by staying out of the stores I do fine.

Getting ready to bring the Hoya in(((. They don't tolerate the 40's at night and wet and cold usually kill mine. So I have to make sure they are clean of bugs and then in the sunny room they will go. How much I am going to miss mass watering them with a hose easily....

Laura, that beach looks pretty nice. Wish I had time to go one last time before fall sets in, it's hot today and no time..(90's today..I'm afraid this kind of weather will not come back after it leaves tomorrow...

• myermike_1micha
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Was no about to let this one disappear just yet..Sorry....I love what everyone here had to say)))