SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
indianagardengirl

What would you plant? Filling the holes left by EAB

First a little background: I'm in east central Indiana, zone 5. Property is 3-1/2 acres, house up front and about 2-1/2 wooded acres in back. We've been here almost 20 years. The woodlands had been logged before we bought it, leaving mostly saplings and large ash trees. Soil is mesic. If there is more than two inches of rain at a time, surrounding farm fields pour over the road, down the side yard and into the woodlands. They drain very well; water disappears within a day of rain ending. Still, there are times when it's all underwater for two or three days - once or twice a year? In summer it can get quite dry.

Anyway, EAB has decimated my woodlands. I stopped counting when the death toll hit 60 trees, as its just too sad. We still have lots of trees, but I want to add more variety into the holes, so that future events like this might have less impact. Existing native trees are Swamp white oak, red maple, kentucky coffee tree, hawthorn, mulberry and shagbark hickory. I would like more fall color, as I have nothing but yellow color - even the red maples, sigh. I would like evergreens but not sure any can take the occasional flooding. I like interesting structure or bark. I prefer natives, and 'messy' isn't a problem, it's away from everything due to the water.

If this was YOUR property, what else would you toss into the mix?

Comments (20)