SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spedigrees

Need advice on feeding my goldfish as the temps drop.

7 years ago

I need some guidance on when and if to feed my goldfish now that the nights are growing cooler. This is their first summer out in the pond (which is just a plastic kiddie pool with artificial plants and lily pads and a pump to aerate the water). Early this spring we had a couple weeks of unseasonably cold (around the freezing mark) weather both day and night, and during this time I did not feed the fish in accordance with unanimous advice.

Now the days are warm (70's to 80's) but we've seen the temps drop into the 40's on a few nights, and we'll be seeing more colder nights as fall marches on. So should I feed the fish early in the day? Will the food they eat be digested by the time the nightly temps drop?

Also, this winter I will be bringing the fish into the heated cellar to live in a large plastic feed tub. Although the cellar is heated, it is at least 10 degrees cooler than the house. (We keep the house at 68 F degrees in winter.) Obviously I can't let the fish go with no food all winter. Will it be safe to feed them in their basement home if the temperature is as low as 50 to 58 F?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Comments (8)