SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bong477

Light grey stained cabinets... Alder, Cherry, or QS Oak?

DrB477
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I had settled on light grey cabinets, which I was initially planning to do in a painted finish with a dark glaze. We picked out the following with a local custom shop my contractor had recommended. They also showed me a grey stained maple which didn't look very good. Their initial ballpark estimate was very high and in budget breaking territory. They were supposed to work with me to try and modify things get the cost down some, but their follow-up has been lacking (been over a month without any update other than a second hand "they're working on it" through our contractor)

FYI the floors are wood like tile that blends pretty well with the existing hardwoods in the rest of the house (ran through a lot of samples to find one I liked). Backsplash is tile shop, probably will do with white grout. The countertop is LG rococo (deciding between that and the very similar but lighter veined minuet).

I priced out cabinets with Starmark (via Costco Tuscan Hills). They were substantially cheaper than the local custom shop. Reviews seem generally good. In addition to being flat out cheaper, one of the suggestions was using a grey stain instead which would save $5k+ and put them at least in the zip code of what I was expecting to pay. I've seen pictures of grey stains online and I like the look as much as the painted finish. Starmark has a driftwood stain which is light grey which I'd likely pair with a "chocolate" or "ebony" glaze. I can order door samples at $30/each. These cabinets would be a little different (inset and reversed flat panel, rather than raised, which better matches the existing doors throughout our 110 year old house)

My wood choices are (all cost the same)

alder

cherry

QS oak

they don't offer driftwood in maple

Concerned about softness of alder but otherwise like it. While I like the initial look on cherry, concerned how it will look over time as redness increases and it darkens. Not sure I love the look of Oak (reminds me of the 80's) but the QS oak seems to have a less dated vibe to it?

Paying up for paint is also still an option.

Comments (7)