SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julyguy754

when to trim shrubs/trees in the fall?

7 years ago

Hello-

I live in NE Indiana in the growing zone of 6a and on cusp of 5b. I am wondering when it it the best time to trim my shrubs(boxwoods) and tree(capsura). I think I trimmed them in the fall last year and they looked like they had freezer burn in the spring. This was after a fairly mild winter. So wonder if I trimmed them too late. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Mike

Comments (35)

• 7 years ago

I am guessing boxwoods need shape pruning, which can be done anytime. Not familiar with capsura tree, but in general trees don't need frequent pruning. Any special reason as to why you need to prune it?

• 7 years ago

Katsura?

I can't think why, if it's that tree, it would ever need pruning. Do you have the tag because an accurate Id would help with advice. Latin names are important to making sure we are all talking about the same thing

Generally the advice is NOT to prune in fall because it encousges new growth which may be too tender to make it through winter freezes without damage. You can trim off dead wood any time but save shaping and pruning for spring

And please dont prune trees for no reason. If you have to prune because it is too big for the space, then it is the wrong tree for the space and you have a never ending chore for the rest of your life in that garden.

• Related Discussions

Shrub/tree -trimming of Chindo Viburnum

Q

Comments (2)
    This shrub shouldn't need much pruning - now or later. Top pruning of trees and shrubs at planting time reduces root growth the following season. Establishment is quicker without top pruning.
    ...See More

when to trim dead from trees

Q

Comments (3)
    what she said .... but how big is this .. and how close to the house???? and would it bother you if large dead pieces starting falling out of a 50 to 100 foot tree onto your roof .... majestic as these are.. they are NOT really small backyard trees.. IMHO .... you might just want to consider pruning it at ground level.. and treating the stump so it dies.. while you can do that for free ... ken
    ...See More

When to prune fall canes for shrub roses

Q

Comments (3)
    I do NO pruning on shrub roses in the fall. I wait until spring to prune & wait to see what mother nature & the critters have left me to start anew with. I do some late pruning (early Dec.) on the tender roses (HT's, Grandifloras) that get taller than 4' by the end of the growing season. I will trim off some of the upper cane of these tall roses to keep them from rocking in the wind. The theory behind not pruning in the fall in cold climates is that open canes from pruning allows cold to penetrate & kill the rose easier. Plus there are nutrients in the cane that the roots draw on as long as the cane is alive & we never know how much cane will make it thru the winter as winters vary so much from year to year. In cold climates +90% of your pruning should occur in the spring.
    ...See More

Planting any shrubs or trees this fall?

Q

Comments (5)
    I'm planning to plant and transplant several shrubs this fall. I've got an overcrowded mixed border where I've already removed a winter honeysuckle and a crape myrtle - I did both too soon and they're really suffered in the heat. There are several more shrubs that need to move, including another lonicera fragrantissima and a sambucus. I'll also be planting after the October 1 SE-NE fall swap; either things I've dug that don't find new homes or (heaven help me) new plants I bring back from the swap. Pot-grown shrubs can go in any time, preferably while there's still time for them to get some roots into the native soil to keep them from heaving out of the ground in winter and spring. Transplants are a little trickier, since they need time to recover from damage to roots from the digging process. I don't fertilize at all at planting, and that's especially important with fall planting, I think. You don't want to encourage top growth when the plant should be getting ready for dormancy, hardening off its current season's growth. It gets cold in central MA earlier than it does here, so you may not have as long a fall planting window as we do on the Cape. If you haven't found your viburnum yet, I'd spend a couple of hours on the phone to track one down soon.
    ...See More
  • 7 years ago

I'm afraid that Logan's advice isn't very sound. The timing of pruning is very important, if the health of your shrubs is of primary concern.

As Marie explains, in any region where winter temperatures can be a factor, it's important to prune early enough into the growing season so that the resulting flush of growth has plenty of time to harden off before the onset of winter frosts and freezes.

In the winter, evergreen shrubs can be damaged if pruned before frost season is over, which may have happened to yours, Julyguy.

I, too, would like to know why you want to prune the tree. Is it the Katsura (Cercidiphyllum japonicum)?

• 7 years ago

Box is best clipped between May and August. Leave it in peace in the Autumn and Winter.

As others have already said the tree doesn't need pruning. Just remove anything dead, damaged or congested.

• 7 years ago

I prune my boxwoods weekly, (sounds odd, however they are the pyramid/cone topiary) to keep them in shape, not losing the 2 years I spent shaping them. The tree most likely doesn't need pruning, just removing dead and diseased wood (as floral_uk suggested above). a picture of the tree would be good, so we can correctly identify it and see why you want to prune it. I performed crown raising on my flowering dogwood after bloom last year, now every year I just remove what grows back. My dogwood has a formal look, although it has never been formally pruned. Will have to get pics.

• 7 years ago

I prune the tree basically to keep it shaped, It is a dome shape and have shoots that go straight up( on the top part) and doesn't look right. Is this wrong to do? Sorry for the mispelling, yes it is a Katsura tree.

Thanks for your information.

Mike

• 7 years ago

good grief! Now I have heard it all...... shaping a tree......

Plant a new tree, you ruined the natural form. See link on improper pruning before you mutilate it any further.

==>>>http://www.growingagreenerworld.com/tree-topping-what-you-dont-know-is-killing-your-trees/

• 7 years ago

Disregard the above :-) Many trees are trimmed or pruned for shape, especially weeping varieties that often throw out long, ungainly straight shoots. This does NOT ruin the natural form but rather enhances it and is not at all the same as topping. If "domed shape", I assume yours is a weeping Katsura, but a photo would help to confirm.

• 7 years ago

That's another thing that makes me sick. "bowl cut" weeping trees (usually cherries).

• 7 years ago

I think we'd have to parse "pruning" and "shaping" relative to this particular tree to come up with an accurate answer.

Isn't OP probably describing watersprouts? I know some woodies are prone to them especially if they';ve been pruned ( or over pruned)

So, julyguy, I finally learned to read about the tree I want to prune before I pick up the pruners. Or ask here, as you've done. I seriously messed up the form of a crabapple by taking off too much at a time and the watersprouts (those straight up shoots off a branch) just took off. then it is a perennial battle which the human inevitably loses.

I don't know about katsuras, however.

Logan, you bring up an interesting topic about 'natural shape' vs pruned. That's an entire separate post or three. I don't want to lead us far afield from the OPs question. but my immediate thought is once we've planted something in a human-made garden, we've already altered it (even if we haven't taken a clipper to it). If we leave the specimen to its own devices, we have to tamper with the environment to accommodate its growth or tamper with the plant to contain it. Then there are all the specific situations: parks, reforestation, environmental reclamation and mitigation etc. The human capacity to leave its fingerprint or footprint is infinite now

• 7 years ago

By pruning you try to enhance the beauties of the tree's natural form. What the OP is experiencing is definitely watersprouts. It can be corrected, but it takes perseverance.

• 7 years ago

"By pruning you try to enhance the beauties of the tree's natural form."

In your opinion, for your purposes, with your trees.

Other people might like to play with shapes.... even you have admitted doing such-

"I prune my boxwoods weekly, (sounds odd, however they are the
    pyramid/cone topiary) to keep them in shape, not losing the 2 years I
    spent shaping them."

The world is not black and white, my young friend.Speaking in absolutes will nearly always come back and bite you in the ass.

• 7 years ago

Thank you all for your advice and comments- I do appreciate them all. I think my Katsura is the weeping kind, as the branches naturally flow downward. I agree that those shoots are probably waterspouts. If I don't prune them they will just keep shooting straight up and won't look right. Other than that, I just have to shape it each year. I don't like the umbrella look either, so I try and shape it to the minimum. This approach sound about right?

Thanks again,

Mike/Julyguy

• 7 years ago

I do have another question to ask. I am going to transplant a burning bush that the home contractor placed to close to the house. It is right in front of a window and not in the best location. I am going to dig it out this fall and give it to my nephew who lives on a farm and has lots of space to just let it grow. My question is: if I prune it to make it smaller and more manageable during transportation, will that stimulate growth? If that is the case, should I just did it out as it is?

Thanks,

Julyguy

• 7 years ago

Basically, when we reduce the amount of twigs, branches and leaves on a plant via pruning, the plant attempts to regrow some new foliage to put things back the way they were. So if you reduce the overall size of the shrub, it will have a strong push to remake some of those lost branches at the next opportunity-next spring. Burning bush is an easy plant, not existing on some knife's-edge of viability, so I doubt you can really kill the thing. Be advised as well that this species is showing up on some states' invasive species lists.

• 7 years ago

I would amend that "some states' invasive species lists" to MANY states' invasive species lists :-))

• 7 years ago

Agreed....like the one where I happen to live!

• 7 years ago

So would it be better to just leave it as is and dig it up ? Thing is it is large and hope we can handle it including the rootball. Just thought if I reduced it's size it would be easier. Don't want to stimulate the growth and not sure how much my nephew will water it etc. before the winter hits,

• 7 years ago

Honestly, it would be best to dig it up/cut it down and throw it out and give your nephew a plant that won't cause a problem in woodlands and other untended areas. Burning bush is on the invasive plants list in Indiana. That means that birds eat the fruit and then deposit viable seeds with a bit of fertilizer in untended areas where they replace native plants.

Think about giving your nephew a different plant that offers nice fall color: spicebush (Lindera benzoin) is a beautiful gold in autumn and has very early spring flowers; summersweet (Clethra) has yellow foliage and flowers about now; in acid soil, blueberries offer similar fall color to burning bush along with spring flowers and berries; also in acid soil both Fothergilla and Enkianthus offer a lovely mix of gold and orange with a bit of red sometimes along with spring flowers.

• 7 years ago

Logan's diktat on never pruning trees dismisses the entire genre of Japanese landscaping (gasp)... Ridiculous,

• 7 years ago

Wow some unexpected responses. I had no idea that burning bushes is considered and invasive species. They are on so many home landscapes in my city of Fort Wayne. I agree digging it up and getting rid of it was my first thought, but just hated to destroy a nice bush I am a recycler :) I think I will call our local Purdue University Extension Office and speak with the Mgr. there to get his thoughts as well on the burning bush issue and see what he has to say about it. I thank everyone and will let you know what I find out.

Thanks again,

Julyguy

• 7 years ago

Thanks for thinking about what everyone's said. That doesn't happen all the time.

• 7 years ago

Marie- Thank you I'm just a naturally nice guy :)

I did contact our local extension office and was told that the Burning bush is considered an invasive species here too, and a moderate risk. He suggested going with native species instead and gave me a web sight to consult for this area. I am still floored the burning bush is considered a risk, especially since nurseries sell them. Oh, well I will do what is best for the environment. I don't want to have giant burning bushes attacking me in my dreams.

• 7 years ago

You wont have burning bushes attacking you in your dreams. Burning bush (despite being mildly invasive) are very useful in the landscape. They have already been introduced, and the invasion cannot be stopped. Once they are in the wild, removing them from your landscape will not help stop the invasion.

• 7 years ago

Good grief, Logan. You are a ceaseless wonder of ignorance and bad advice.

• 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Julyguy, unfortunately retail nurseries continue sell a LOT of invasive species. While I have been associated with that aspect of horticulture for several decades, I am ashamed to admit that the vast majority of retail nurseries are not known for being beacons of accurate or current horticultural advice nor are they necessarily cognizant of the risks and control expense associated with selling invasive plants. They are in the business for the bottom line - to make money - and that most often clouds all other factors. And they take advantage of the average consumer's lack of awareness of just how pervasive a problem the continued distribution and sale of these plants present. And it doesn't help when that problem gets glossed over, ignored and even willfully contradicted by so-called "professionals" who actually promote the sale and planting of these troublesome species.

"Burning bush (despite being mildly invasive) are very useful in the landscape."

It is this kind of inane logic (and total ignorance) that just compounds an already serious problem. "Mildly invasive"?? If you consider that this plant is a listed invasive in more than half of the continental 48 states a "mild" problem..........not to mention that its sale is banned in at least 4 New England states. As to being "very useful" in the landscape, what makes this particular shrub so bloody useful?? For any single plant one may select for the landscape there are at least a half dozen others that could work equally as well. It has a very short window of interest - one or two weeks at most of fall color - the rest of the time it is an uninspiring green blob or or a collection of bare sticks. And many other plants can and do offer great fall color without any negative invasive properties - natives like high bush cranberries, Itea virginica, oakleaf hydrangea, Viburnum trilobum, nudum and dentatum and Fothergilla gardenii. And some great, non-problematic nonnatives, like Enkianthus and Disanthus. Heck, most of these offer showy flowers as well, which is not something that can be said about the euonymus!

There is just NO valid reason to ever recommend or plant this shrub. Or to encourage the planting of ANY invasive species in locations where they are likely to spread into native areas.

• 7 years ago

Just to clear it up, just because I suggest a plant doesn't mean I sell it. Sure, there are other shrubs that are useful in the landscape. If you already have burning bush, why remove it?

Think of it like this:

You have one burning bush in your yard that produces seeds

There are 8 more in the woods behind your house that also produce seed

You remove the one in your yard

The other 8 continue to produce seed

The problem doesn't go away

• 7 years ago

The problem sure as heck is not going to go away if you continue to suggest planting invasive species!!

Just to clear it up - do NOT suggest, do NOT recommend, do NOT sell (Bradford pears for a dollar each!!) and do NOT plant what is listed in your locale as an invasive species. At least you won't be continuing to contribute to the problem!!

Logan, give it up. You are in the minority here, your suggestions and comments are ill-advised and your plant knowledge extremely questionable.

• 7 years ago

Logan: For a few days you managed to avoid grossly incorrect information and wrong-headed plant recommendations. Now you're back with utterly perverse logic regarding eunonymous. Because the species is beyond eradication does not mean anyone should be selling, planting or recommending it. Time to grow up. If you aspire to be taken seriously as horticulturist/nurseryman you need to exercise some responsibility. Your fondness for invasive plants and your refusal to acknowledge the problems they cause is precisely the opposite of the qualities you need.

• 7 years ago

I actually hate bradford (callery) pears, they keep popping up in my garden beds. I have only once recommended planting burning bush. If the OP already has one, why give it up?

• 7 years ago

Hi Indianagardengirlz5-

The web sight for native Indiana plants is: www.inpaws.org or just google inpaws indiana. Looks good but haven't had a chance to check it out but will soon. Good luck.

To Logan and the rest- wow I didn't mean to initiate a horticultural conflict.

• 7 years ago

julyguy, overall it is up to you. If you want to keep the burning bush, then do so. If not, then remove it. It is your landscape and your choice. If looking for native plants, I would use the missouri state nursery. They have a decent selection with more than reasonable prices. The buttonbush and winterberry holly stood out to me.

• 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Logan- Thanks so much for your feedback. I am taking it out because the builder just threw plants around without any planning. My parents who bought the house didn't have any say as the plants were already in. At any rate, the burning bush is squeezed right up to the house, next to the window. Makes it tough to trim and also not an ideal place- makes it easier for to hide behind if someone wants to get in. I don't plan on putting anything in the spot. I was just trying to save it and thought giving it to my nephew would be good. But with the information I decided against that too. He has enough vegitation on his farm. But again, I appreciate everyone's input. I learned a lot in the process.

• 7 years ago

Ok, I would like to encourage you to use it in your landscaping (in a different spot) but it doesn't look like I can change your mind.

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996