SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
here2learn_z8

Own root vs grafted advice?

I posted this in the TX forum, but I thought I'd ask here in case the rose experts can chime in...

Some background for me: I want to plant roses (and irises, lavender, yarrow, statice, sweet alyssum...) in a narrow, ~ 5 ft wide bed next to my driveway in clay soil. I've bought compost, chopped corn feed, and alfalfa hay to try to amend the soil before I plant. The area gets pretty much full sun and any watering other than rain is manual. Because I don't want them to grow into the driveway or my neighbor's yard I want narrow, upright roses - I was looking specifically at Queen of Sweden, Tournament of Roses, Bewitched, and maybe Paris de Yves St. Laurent just because the pictures of that rose are so pretty.

Grafted pros seem to be that the roses might be able to better handle the heat and clay soil, the roses themselves will be of better quality, and the plants will establish faster (for myself, I don't care too much about instant gratification, but this would be a courtesy to my neighbors). Grafted cons seem to be that the rose bushes may grow much bigger than I want, I will have to take care of the bud union (cold protection, watch out for suckers), and some complain about the form of the bush itself.

What would you choose in this situation? Also, if you have any experience, advice, or other suggestions on my rose/plant choices, I'm all ears.

This was a long post - big thanks to anyone who read it through!

Comments (16)