SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annekreel

++++++++++FLOOR PLAN ASSISTANCE+++++++++++++

BenjiBoi
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Ok, here I go again. In my many attempts to re-design our 1986 kitchen into a functional space, I have failed. So I am rethinking the whole project and opening my mind to not just a kitchen remodel, but remodeling ½ of our first floor.

I hope to use the space shown as our current floor plan and redesign it with the following elements:

Highly functional, open kitchen for five people (12+) with ample eat-in seating, preferably at an island

Powder room (our current space is 3’x6’ and I would like it to be a bit bigger)

A separate laundry room where I can have space for a utility sink, counter space to fold clothing, ironing board and enough space to hold lots of dirty laundry. I would love to have a pet washing area for a 75 pound dog, if possible.

Mud room: we primarily access our home through the garage. We need a mudroom area/room that can accommodate 3 kids with room for coats, backpacks, shoes and some sports equipment. I prefer it not be visible from the kitchen. We don’t want it to crowd the garage and patio doors.

Things we are willing to do:

Take down the load bearing wall between the kitchen and dining room

Have one dining area (either where current dining room is or in bay window area)

Resize the window in the current kitchen

Move the powder room

Move non-load bearing walls

Things we are not willing to do:

Remove the bay window

Move the patio/back door

Move the kitchen to the front of the house (current dining room)

Live with a laundry closet/area that cannot be closed off

I would love to see your ideas for redesigning the space to accomplish the four items listed above. Any and all feedback will be appreciated.

Here is a link to a larger image.

Comments (6)

• sena01
    7 years ago

A few ideas.

On the kitchen side, I couldn't fit an island that seats 5 with wide enough aisles but have a peninsula instead and a small cart on casters.

Mudroom/laundry/PR side can be something like this.

The PR is nearly the same size, but can be a little wider than what you have now. I don't how you plan to use the closet, I just added a cab and assume it can be used as pet washing area.

• BenjiBoi
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you. My concern with this layout is that the mudroom area will be visible from the kitchen and any guest who needs to use the powder room will have to step around the items that I al sure will gather there. We have to maintain the closet as storage. However, if the dog wash area doesn't fit anywhere, I am not going to lose sleep over it.

• practigal
    7 years ago

So long is as there is a door on the room, can the laundry and the mud room be the same room?

Do you have a pool in the backyard such that wet adults and children would be coming into the house from the pool area?

What kind of foundation are you on? Where is the kitchen sink currently?

To confirm, for a good design, you would be willing to move the location of the door to the garage to anywhere along the wall that it is currently on-correct?

• BenjiBoi
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The laundry and mud room can be the same as long as the space within the room are substantial enough to handle both.

No pool.

We have a full unfinished basement.

The kitchen sink is located under the window to the left of the powder room.

I would be willing to move the door if it would be essential to the design.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    7 years ago

This is recycled from one of your previous threads, but I used
    part of the existing powder room for the kitchen, and the remainder for
    the
    mudroom closet. I made the island longer and gave you two choices of
    location for the MW--if you don't want a MW drawer, you could separate
    the island and table, with about 42" between them, and make the
    secondary prep space the main prep.

The laundry/mudroom/powder room could be arranged like this:

The matching mudroom closets could be omitted to combine the mudroom, laundry, and dog grooming room. The
    red wall and door are optional, in case you don't want to see the powder room
    door from the family room, and there is a pocket door between the garage
    entry vestibule and the mudroom, to hide the mess from guests.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

I would want that dog grooming room right next to the garage. A muddy, smelly dog should not be coming into the house very far, if at all.