SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bpeterson1226

Black and blue salvia

Becky
7 years ago

My black and blue salvia is about 1 and 1/2 years old now. I got it in March of 2015. When I first got it it stayed in bloom for quite some time, and eventually in about November, it lost its flowers. I was quite surprised to see new flowers bloom in the winter, but sure enough in January I had a few flowers reaching out past the edge of the balcony to get the max amount of sun. (Even though the whole edge of the balcony gets direct sun as nothing is above me but a small gutter and a roof above me. After those January flowers, I haven't gotten anymore. I live in Savannah Georgia where there is really only two seasons...winter and summer. It starts to get hot in March (reaching high 80's), and then the heat really hits us May-September ( high 80's through May, high 90's breaking 100 June-early September). It finally cools down in November and our coldest months begin December -February (occasionally going below freezing, but usually around 40-60°) in about March, my salvia plant was looking rough. It had a bunch of dying leaves and didn't look happy in its pot. I reported and trimmed the dead leaves off. I used an organic compost and organic potting soil, and it's leaves grew back so quickly, literally within hours. Every time I checked outside, it had a new leaf! Despite its improvement, it has yet to grow any stems to produce any new flowers. One branch of the plant has completely died, but there are still 2 left that are still standing and growing. This is my first salvia plant... what am I doing wrong??

PS: current high temp: 96; low: 84.

direction plant is facing: 110 degrees SE.

both partial and direct sun depending on time of day.

Watered when potting medium is dry (once a day, or until medium dries out-2-3 days...high humidity here.

todays humidity: 78% ; rest of the week humidity: 71-77%.

attached are photos. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated !!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH