SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (40)

• gumby_ct
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Without knowing more it could be as simple as they needed water?

• Related Discussions

My tomato plants are dying.

Q

Comments (11)
    Carolyn, wanted to mention that mancozeb is not organic. If it was I would go and buy a gallon and all my problems would be solved.:) You can buy mancozeb mixed with copper but not considered organic either. farkee I guess you mean not considered organic as far as organic certifying agencies are concerned. It's true that Mancozeb is Maneb plus zinc and it's true that Mancozeb can be purchased with added copper, and it's also true that "most" organic agencies wouldn't consider Mancozeb to be "organic" in that sense, so I perhaps I really should limit myself to just saying a prep with just copper, like Kocide, or suggest a sulfur prep, to be clearer, as an alternative to Daconil. I do garden organically at home here and at one other place but have only used Kocide, to date, and only at the other place since I've had no folaige diseases here at home. Carolyn, who still will suggest copper or sulfur containing preps for fungal and bacterial foliage diseases over compost teas, cornmeal teas, milk, and Neem and b'c the feedback I'm reading overall, from many websites over a many year period of time, says that they don't work for that many folks. OK to try, for sure, but I'd rather go with what has been shown to work for the majority, not the minority of folks.
    ...See More

Dying stems, discoloration, etc on my Celebrity Tomato Plant

Q

Comments (2)
    Yeah... it died about a few weeks after I posted this. I was surprised at the lack of responses... oh well! =)
    ...See More

Help!!!! I think my tomato plant is dying!!!

Q

Comments (3)
    Growing indoors is a huge job. There are so many variables to consider. First, the water that comes out of the tap is chlorinated, and it has a good bit of flouride, depending on where you live. Chlorine will evaporate out of the water, if you leave the water in a pitcher open to the air for a day or so. temperature and humidity are a big issue too, tomatoes like it warm, top production happens at 85 degrees, and they like some humidity. Also, for pollination, the plants need wind to shake the pollen loose in the flowers that they set, you can use a fan or give the plant a shake every day. that is a picture of chlorine damage in my indoor grown tomato Here is a link that might be useful: My Garden
    ...See More

Why are the blooms on my tomato plant dying and falling off?

Q

Comments (0)
    What is going wrong? "Blossom-Drop" is a condition suffered by tomatoes, peppers, snap beans, and some other fruiting vegetables where the plant blooms but fails to set fruit, the blooms die and fall off. It may be caused by the use of excess nitrogen fertilizers or dry windy conditions, but the most common cause is temperature extremes. Tomatoes, peppers and beans are especially picky about the air temps when it comes time to set fruit. If the night temps fall below 55 or rise above 75 or if the day temps are above 90, the pollen becomes tacky and non-viable. Pollination cannot occur. If the bloom isn't pollinated, the bloom dies and falls off. What can I do? Water the plants deeply once a week, mulch heavily to maintain constant soil moisture levels, establish windbreaks as needed, avoid using excessive amounts of nitrogen fertilizers, and wait for temperatures to moderate and stabilize. Earlier timed planting can help attain fruit set prior to the on-set of high temps, and the use of protection can compensate for cool nights. Some recommend attempting hand-pollination with an artist brush or a gentle shaking of the plant/cage/support prior to the hottest part of the day will also help. Fruit set will resume when temperatures moderate. Hormone sprays, such as "Blossom Set", may prevent some blossom drop due to LOW temperatures. However, the resulting fruit are often misshapen. But studies prove that hormone sprays do not prevent blossom drop due to HIGH temperatures.
    ...See More
  • Labradors
    7 years ago

Unfortunately, some of us are unable to post pictures the easy way and Houzz is of no help, just blames ad blocker :(

I am in Ontario too and the drought has been horrendous here this year. If the weeds and everything else is wilting too, it is either because they are too dry, or because someone has tossed something on them or an animal has peed on them. I vote for them being thirsty.

Linda

Ron Ritchie thanked Labradors
  • Ron Ritchie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I give ya all a little run down about
    my family's urbarn farm. We currently reside in Ontario Canada. We do
    live in the city all while raising chickens, rabbits and grow 2
    large veggie gardens between 2 back yards. We started the "new" garden
    this spring.Loaded it up with about 5 inches of fresh compost and rabbit
    manure. Anyway we planted a large row of tomatoes,
    they were looking amazing. Went away on holidays and came home to a
    wilted plant turned brown. I can honestly say with all the years of
    experience of growing food I have never run into this before. There was
    intense heat for about 10 days straight. However I had them watered with
    drip irrigarors on the same schedule they had been on all summer. I use
    the rainbrd system. the rest of the 2 gardens are doing amazing. this
    is just attacking the tomatoes? We feed regularly with home brewed compost tea. We grow all our food organically.
    I honestly hate using the interwebs for this type of info.. Thanks for the heads up on the photobucket thing..I really don't have that much in there to hide anyway..

• Ron Ritchie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The weeds were walked on, and the peppers loved the heat and grew a foot in almost a week! The reason they look wilted is because they (some of them) fell over in a big rain storm. I took all the pics just after I staked them all up. Nothing is thirsty in that bed, it was watered every day. twice a day for 5 minutes a soak.
    The tomato plants are a Sicilian saucer that I harvest and keep my seed from for the last 10 years now. Ill try to get some better pics today after we pull the friggin weeds. I guess this is what I get for going away with the fam for a vacation...sigh.....

• Labradors
    7 years ago

If it is just the one variety that is "complaining" perhaps they need more water than the others?

I am growing Costoluto Genovese this year and the amount of BER in them is horrendous.

Linda

• gumby_ct
    7 years ago

<Went away on holidays and came home to a
    wilted plant turned brown.>

<Nothing is thirsty in that bed, it was watered every day. twice a day for 5 minutes a soak.>

Is that via soaker hoses? Can there be an obstruction?

I'm gonna say that was not sufficient water for these plants in this heat and that the addition of more water would be a simple enuff test to rule out lack of water as a problem. Try adding more water by hand away from where the plant stems enter the soil.

IF that helps even short term you should try to determine the volume of water that is being added during this 5 minute soak and the placement of this water which may not be getting to the roots.

• Ron Ritchie
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    here are some other pics. I hoestly don't think it's a water issue. here's my reason for thinking this. we had good rain for the past 3 days on and off now. yes we were
    one of the lucky ones in ontario. these pics were taken this am after weeding. nothing has changed. the other reason is the individual that was looking after the garden told me that they looked great at night and in the am but we're all twisted in the day heat. so he bypassed the timer and ran the water during the day when he was here. keep in mind these are a combo of drip irrigation and soaker hose. all brand new as of this spring. water delivery is not an issue.
  • Ron Ritchie
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    one other thing I'd like to add is when we water in the dry days were digging up in various spots and getting well over 5 inches of saturation in the row. compared to less then an inch between rows. we switched to drip irrigation to conserve water. we use 2 1000 litre rain totes hooked up to an on demand pump thay runs off a marine battery. the battery is charged with a 40 watt solar panel and is always fully charged as indicated by the charge controller
  • gumby_ct
    7 years ago

Keep in mind that all those weeds were also using any water applied to the area. You have not mentioned how far from where the stem enters the soil this water is applied or the volume.

<the other reason is the individual that was looking after the garden
    told me that they looked great at night and in the am but we're all
    twisted in the day heat.>
    Sure sounds like a water issue there to me.

Is adding more water by hand to rule out water as a problem really that much trouble?

• Peter (6b SE NY)
    7 years ago

That ground looks very and overly wet, and clay. IMO I would definitely not add more water -- especially if it rained the last 3 days. Given the pictures, I would say overwatering if you are watering every day is likely. The poster is in Ontario not Texas. JMO.

• Ron Ritchie
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Wouldn't 3 days of rain and 70 plus mm do the same thing? here's the volume on the irrigarors
  • gumby_ct
    7 years ago

<I'd like to add is when we water in the dry days were digging up in
    various spots and getting well over 5 inches of saturation in the row.
    compared to less then an inch between rows.>
    That makes me believe that you are indeed not applying the water where the roots can get to the water.

Keep in mind that plants feed from their root tips, so as the plant
    grows I tend to move where I water. Also the weeds will not only compete
    for water but the nutrients.

In the picture you posted the weeds look pretty happy.

Another
    thing I don't know is how these plants were transplanted which can and
    does affect their root growth. So all I have to go on is what you
    mention here and the pics.

In the picture above it say the emitters you are using emit 1 gallon per hour (under ideal conditions?) and you said you water for 5 min x2 right?

I
    am not gonna do the math cuz I don't know how many emitters you have or
    the spacing or the water pressure or the placement =- all variables in
    the amount of water applied.

If you had applied any more water we would likely have had an answer by now.

I
    have posted this link many times on these forums. Scroll down to the
    plant you are interested in to get an idea how the root develops.

ROOT DEVELOPMENT OF VEGETABLE CROPS

carolyn137
    who I haven't seen post in sometime now was considered a tomato expert.
    You may want to search for some of her posts about growing tomatoes.

• gumby_ct
    7 years ago

<Wouldn't 3 days of rain and 70 plus mm do the same thing?> Same thing as what?

It could but that certainly depends on many things. Did it rain continuously for 3 days straight?

Or was it like the passing summer thunder storms we get that leave 1/8 to 1/4 inch? Which is not enuff during this heat and dry spell.

btw - How are your perennials doing?

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/4080807/summer-2016-us-drought-monitor?n=16

Ron Ritchie thanked gumby_ct
  • Ron Ritchie
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    ok now your getting to some good stuff here. in the tomatoes row I use a drip irrigator on each side of the plant stabbed into a soaker hose. it's a bit of a hybrid system. the plants were planted into hills. that's how my grandfather taught me to grow them 35 years ago. however I'm more convinced that our climate has changed and this now not a good way to grow maters. next year we will till in hills and rake flat. As I said earlier this is a new bed that's lacking a ton of organic matter unlike all our other beds. We use arobic compost teas and almost always have a batch brewing. so now I'm thinking it may be the darn hills and lack of organic material. we did add 5 inches or rabbit manure and compost this spring. I have also broadcast spread Azomite time release in there too.
    as for perennials we don't grow to many. other then strawberries , blueberries and currents . They all did well.
    we grow food. if we can't eat it we don't grow it. lol. we grow the following. broclli, red and green cabbage, lots of kale ,Brussels sprouts, beans, Swiss chard , onion , garlic, potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, corn, celery, leek, and a whole bed of organic teas.
  • Ron Ritchie
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    speaking of perennials anyone have a clue what this is? it's in our front garden they come back every year I dug them all out and want to give them away. haven't a clue what to call them..
  • Labradors
    7 years ago

Shasta Daisies? I presume they are white?

Not my favourite because they don't bloom for very long.

Linda

• Ron Ritchie
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Ya white flowers. I started them years ago.. didn't even realize they were perennials. they sure are nice when they flower.
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    7 years ago

Yes - those are Shasta Daisies.

• tete_a_tete
    7 years ago

'There was intense heat for about 10 days straight.'

Tomatoes don't like overly hot weather. They will be losing quite a bit of water and it seems to me that they are not getting the amount of water that they need.

The only way to know is to physically look. Well, you can water them and see what they do, but if you think that you've given them a lot and you haven't, then the only way to know THAT is to look. Seeing is believing.

• tete_a_tete
    7 years ago

Yes, Shasta Daisies.

It sounds like you are doing everything right except giving enough water. (Actually, you weren't there when the problem occurred.) Now I think you are grabbing at straws. Wanting to blame other things. Sometimes the answer is the obvious one.

• M. Wilson
    7 years ago

I remember reading that sometimes plants will wilt in high heat irrespective of how much water is available to them, because they simply can't suck up enough water to make up for the evaporation.

And I'm looking at your spacing--how far apart are those tomatoes? I generally space and plant my tomatoes dryfarm-style, meaning that I buy tall skinny (but not rootbound) plants, strip off almost all of their foliage except for a tuft at the top, and plant them "up to their necks" as early in the spring as I think they'll survive. I usually give each one a six foot by six foot space, and I maintain absolute weed control--which I achieve with weed barrier fabric because I'm just too lazy to weed. Several of my tomatoes are growing this way with no added water at all, contentedly making tomatoes in temperatures over 100 degrees, covering the ground with sprawled foliage. (Because I also don't stake them. That part is just laziness, but it turns out that with the relatively dry surface conditions, the tomatoes don't seem to rot as they sit on the ground.)

All of that is just to explain that my thoughts tend to focus on how much space a plant has to spread its roots. I find myself wondering if perhaps a tomato needs some minimum amount of root volume to suck up enough water to cope with very high temperatures, independent of how much water is actually available.

This year, I would recommend that you water the entire area containing the tomatoes for a looooooong time, until the dirt near the tomatoes is saturated very deep to a distance of about three feet in all directions from the tomatoes--once. So that every possible place where a tomato root might be, has available water. See if they perk up. If they do, then I think that water is the issue. If they don't, then water may still be an issue, but in the sense that they didn't produce enough root volume to prepare for the current weather.

I would recommend that next year you consider a wider spacing. That doesn't necessarily produce as much of a reduction in productivity as you'd think--if the plant has extra root room, it's likely to grow bigger.

Edited to add: Saturated to 5 inches deep is really not very deep. I would want the soil to be damp "all the way down"--so that you keep digging and just don't hit a dry line.

• Ron Ritchie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Funny you mention the spacing...I was going t cut out the weak ones and see if the others will compensate..I think you may have just made the case for this..Also do you think growing tomatoes up on a hill is a good idea or not? Im now more convinced this is a BIG part of my issue. Also on another note we have been hammered with rain for 5 days straight now. still no change in the weak plants. I think im going to cull them tomorrow and stretch out the others

• M. Wilson
    7 years ago

Hmm. I don't know if thinning them now will help or not. It won't hurt, but it's possible that by this time in the season, it's too late for the tomato to grow any more roots. But you would eliminate the water-grabbing of the removed tomato's roots... hmm.

Ron Ritchie thanked M. Wilson
  • Ron Ritchie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

when we planted them we did just as you said.I started them from seed I had collected from lats years harvest (witch by the way did fantastic) we stripped the plants down to very little at the top. we then dig a trench and lay the plants down on an angle leaving just the small bit of growth at the top above the soil.

• Ron Ritchie
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    so here we are 3 days later and a TON of rain the past 5 days. ge got another 30mm today and expect another 20 by 11 pm. so I thought I'd get out to see if there is any difference. I also thinned out 3 weak plants. the right end of the row looks like it may recover.. the left end not so. these peppers are mostly paprika that we smoke dehydrate and ground to spice! they are growing like crazy lately
  • Ron Ritchie
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    so here we are 3 days later and a TON of rain the past 5 days. ge got another 30mm today and expect another 20 by 11 pm. so I thought I'd get out to see if there is any difference. I also thinned out 3 weak plants. the right end of the row looks like it may recover.. the left end not so. these peppers are mostly paprika that we smoke dehydrate and ground to spice! they are growing like crazy lately
  • Ron Ritchie
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    trying to do an update on my cell phone so here's round 2... I cut back 3 weak plants and stretched out the others a little more. they look like they are improving a little. 5 days later and a TON of rain. we got 30 mill this am over a 4 hour period. and we're expecting 20 mill more by 11 pm. thanks to all for the help.. it's now feeding time in between rains. have a good day folks
  • M. Wilson
    7 years ago

Hmm. You say that you used seed from last year's plants. What were last year's plants? Were they open-pollinated or hybrids? Do the tomatoes that you're getting from the plants look like you expected them to look?

• M. Wilson
    7 years ago

(If you don't know if they were open-pollinated or hybrid, you can just tell us the names.)

• Ron Ritchie
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    They are seeds from a plant that has been in our family for generations. those are good questions that I can't answer. however the tomatoes do turn out like they always have for the past 30 years or so. Everything I know I learned from a man lone gone. I wish he was still here every day
  • Ron Ritchie
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Oh sorry yes they are Sicilian Saucers that's what pops called them. they are massive miss shaped tomatoes that are very similar to a roma. geat for canning and sauces.
  • M. Wilson
    7 years ago

Ah, OK--if you've been growing them and saving the seeds for generations, they're open-pollinated. So the issue is NOT that you have some random offspring of a hybrid parent, which was what I was wondering.

• gumby_ct
    7 years ago

It's hard to tell much from the pics but what is your opinion?

Did you think to exam the roots of the plants you removed?

• Ron Ritchie
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I did exam the roots of the plants I pulled. they were quite large. as in thick. the vast majority of the roots were in the hill. some of the roots were all over the place including where we were not watering in between the rows. I'm not seeing any big difference yet. perhaps they look slightly more green. I'll post progress in a day or 3
  • gumby_ct
    7 years ago

If my conversion is correct 50mm = 1.96 inches

Is there a deficit chart for your area?

• Ron Ritchie
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    not sure if this is what your asking for? Google found it for me .. I seriously asked my phone.. this is a neat feature.. if I read that map correctly were in the -80 area of southern ontario. that was as of yesterday.
  • tete_a_tete
    7 years ago

I sometimes wonder whether the really hot weather that we get sometimes (days of 38 degrees Celcius/100 degrees Fahrenheit) has made growing tomatoes difficult.

I remember a time when we just grew tomatoes and things went well.

So in short, I wonder if maybe we need to arrange things so that when we apply water, our soil is watered well.

It's very easy to not water enough.

When Dad and I did our experiment where I mulched early and he didn't, my tomato plants (from exactly the same batch as his) sulked. They never caught up to his. The soil was too cold. I expected them to catch up eventually and rocket ahead.

His crop of tomatoes was on flat soil. Mine were hilled up. Mine were going to outperform his NOW of course, but they didn't.

At one stage I even showed him that his plants needed water. He was wondering why they were a little limp. I coaxed him to dig and he found that the water had barely penetrated the lovely soil that we had in his back yard. (Our tomatoes grew side by side that year.)

He had quite a number of weeds among his plants. They were lush and green and enjoying life. My tomato plants were writing their wills.

I think we make too much of weeds (I mean 'we' in general). I am sure his weeds protected the soil from excessive heat (and drying winds. Though the back yard was quite protected from wind.)

Not sure what point I am making. But it's fun to grow tomatoes with your Dad. Even when they win.

• gumby_ct
    7 years ago

LOL, all good points.

Another would be that each growing season can be different from the last.

I think most every garden has weeds. Weeds can harbor pests and steal nutrients and water from our crops. In that respect, they are a problem when they cause problems for our crops. So if/when your crop is having problems consider doing something with the weeds.

I like to grow weeds I can eat.

• gumby_ct
    7 years ago

I also think it is important to point out that when we see rainfall numbers in the media that does NOT mean that amount fell in our garden. That amount can be more or less. In the same town the amount will vary.

I use a very unscientific way to see how much rain fell in my gardens, I use empty tuna fish can, buckets, and or bucket lids, etc. While I don't measure it - it does serve as a visual. Esp. after a downpour which seemed impressive only to find out it was .25 inch.

I also use rain water but that can be a bit deceiving as the amount of rain collected from ones roof can be overly impressive.

Just sayin.