SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pipdog_gw

Layout help needed! Scrap the behemoth 8x7 island?

Pipdog
7 years ago

I posted earlier about the planned 8x7 island which we are concerned about being too large. I agree with the posters that it feels way too large. Now that we're likely scrapping the idea of a behemoth island, I could use some layout help.

The kitchen/living/dining room is one long, narrow room (approx. 51 x 18). The kitchen is 15x15.8. Here's the layout (this shows the island with a built-in table, which the architect scrapped for a larger island when we told him we wanted a single level island).

and the elevations of the back wall of the kitchen:

here's the current long room/open space:

and the wall where the kitchen will be:

looking into what will be the new den, where the previous u-shaped kitchen was:

We're a family of four, two elementary aged kids. We plan on eating breakfast at the island and probably casual family dinners. We'll do homework at the island. As far as cooking, we use Blue Apron and other prepped meals quite a bit. We don't bake. We need the space have a good flow for parties b/c we enertain frequently. The house will have a pool just off the kitchen/dining room as well with an adjacent sunken space with fire pit. We'll have a dining table out there as well and will likely eat out there quite a bit. The island will have a beverage center, sink, D/W.

Options:

1) downsize island. Maybe 8 x6? Still too big?

2) two islands. don't love that idea b/c it feels like it would be cumbersome to walk around them

3) go back to the two-tiered island with integrated table, something like this. We prefer a single level island, though.

any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful. thanks

Comments (18)