Fresh Green Beans -- how do you prepare?
10 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (20)
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Discussions
Do you freeze fresh or prepared?
Comments (2)I do both. Most of the garden produce (squash, tomatoes, peppers, beans, peas, etc.) I blanch and freeze. When I have bits and pieces of things I make ratatouille, marinara sauce, or a squash casserole and freeze it. When making soups I always make a big batch (soul-satisfying!) and freeze much of it for later. Herb butters also freeze well. Isn't having a freezer for storing your home-grown produce a wonderful thing? I love mine!...See MoreHow do you folks use frozen green beans?
Comments (35)It may be the way you prepared them for freezing - did you blanch them first and then into an ice bath? If not they turn mushy. Then drain well, pat dry, spread out on cookie sheet to flash freeze and then package them. Or it may be that you are just over-cooking them once you take them out of the freezer. I do not thaw first, just dump them into already boiling water, let it return to a boil and then reduce to simmer for approx. 5-6 min. And it could also be the quality of the beans themselves. Some varieties freeze better than others. And harvest them when still young and tender. If left on the vine too long before picking some varieties will lose all flavor. Dave...See Morehow do you season your green beans
Comments (31)My answer of bacon fond was kind of a tongue in cheek answer because of the thread we had on foods we eat when no one is looking. To cook green beans I much prefer fresh, will use canned and frozen when I must. There really is no comparison to the fresh. I first brown some bacon in a pan until crispy, then remove the bacon and set aside. I deglaze the pan with mostly chicken broth and add a little water and salt. Sometimes I'll crush a few cloves of garlic and add, fishing them out later. Then I add a whole onion to the top of the beans and simmer away. I sometimes fish the onion out when they are finished and sometimes leave it in. When beans are cooked the crispy bacon can be broken up and added to the top of the beans. I love new potatoes cooked in the beans toward the end of cooking time. I don't mean what the grocery stores call new potatoes, but the real thing which you can rarely find....See MoreLOOKING for: fresh green beans in crockpot?
Comments (5)I have had very good luck with fresh green beans and new potatoes (chopped in extra large chunks, not small) cooked in a crockpot with fresh minced garlic, slivered almonds, maybe half an onion, chopped, a bit of minced parsley and I add a minced fresh jalapeno(with rind and seeds removed.) Probably some other stuff but the real point I want to make is to recommend that you not add liquid. It will form a little bit of it's own liquid but I found it very tasty and convenient to cook in the crockpot and I think not adding liquid reduces the possibility of mushiness. (maybe this is like roasting?). You can add more seasoning such as Italian as well. I've even added a teaspoon of curry powder. I stir about halfway thru cooking to mix the seasoning in well. Cooking times I've tried: 1 hour on high and 3 or 4 on low 6 or 8 hours on low ( liked the 1 hour on high,etc. best) --Alice...See More- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Stories

SUMMER FRUITS AND VEGETABLESSummer Crops: How to Grow Beans
Grow your own beans for amazing variety and healthy, convenient produce all summer
Full Story
SHOP HOUZZShop Houzz: Fresh Farm-to-Table Picks
Impress guests with a delicious farm-to-table meal, courtesy of these essentials
Full Story0

DECORATING GUIDESFresh Take: 13 Great Ways to Say Yes to Plaid
Give your room a dose of the unexpected with plaid’s classic lines in nearly infinite colors and materials
Full Story
FRONT YARD IDEASWelcome Edibles Into the Front Yard for Fresh Food and More
Give your front yard design a boost and maybe even make new friends by growing fruits and vegetables
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNKitchen of the Week: Traditional Kitchen Opens Up for a Fresh Look
A glass wall system, a multifunctional island and contemporary finishes update a family’s Illinois kitchen
Full Story
UPHOLSTERYSlipcover Magic: Casual, Washable and Fresh for the Season
Reinvent your sofas, chairs and ottomans with surprisingly chic and versatile slipcovers
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESStep Right Outside for Fresh Herbs and Vegetables
Decks and patios can be convenient spots for edibles, and sometimes they even offer advantages over backyard gardens
Full Story
PRODUCT PICKSGuest Picks: Fresh Milk
Creamy white shades, milk bottle shapes and other dairycentric designs can refresh your decor
Full Story0

GARDENING GUIDES10 Easy Edibles for First-Time Gardeners
Focus on these beginner-friendly vegetables, herbs, beans and salad greens to start a home farm with little fuss
Full Story
PRODUCT PICKSGuest Picks: Bursts of Green for Spring
Get a jump start on the season of fresh beginnings with home decor in shades of chartreuse, lime and grass green
Full Story
donna_in_sask