SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pkponder2

Can you give yourself a shot?

PKponder TX Z7B
7 years ago

I am house watching for my neighbor while she's on vacation. During the 'briefing' on where everything is our conversation turned to her 30 something year old daughter's recent diagnosis with Crohn's disease. Her daughter has been completely disabled by the disease and I empathize with her illness. Here's the part that confused and surprised me, she was prescribed Humira in some sort of epi-pen type dispenser that she is prescribed to take daily. The daughter, who worked as a deputy with the Sheriff's Department and is a retired veteran, apparently cannot inject herself and screams and writhes around in pain during this daily 10 second injection. My neighbor has been injecting her daughter but now the 12 year old autistic child is having to inject her mom while grandma is on vacation. The son in law apparently also has some fear of needles too, so the burden has fallen on the child. I am of the opinion that the sick daughter needs to suck it up and not force this child to 'torture' her mother while her mom screams and writhes around like she's being poked with hot knives.

Am I just being overly judgemental? Anyone had experience with this sort of treatment? I've used an epi pen and it wasn't that traumatic, but is the Humira really a painful injection? How could a tough Deputy Sheriff and retired Veteran be so wimpy and childish? Is this just a part of the disease, over sensitivity?

Comments (34)

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I have to inject myself in the stomach every day of my life at this point. I seriously don't understand why anyone would act that way. Most of the time I can barely feel it. Every once in a while I hit a spot that hurts bad and surprises me so much I jerk the needle out and have to do it again but I move to a different location. I can do a little scratch with my finger nail on my skin and tell if there's a lot of feeling there or not. Some spots have no feeling at all. I learn where those are. But I don't want to use the same sites repeatedly. On occasion it will make a big bruise some time nothing. Sometimes a little blood usually not. I have no problem at all giving myself any type of injection or even drawing my own blood when needed, of course I do finger sticks several times a day too. Very strange situation you are describing. I would have to call her on her behavior and tell her to suck it up and take care of herself. Not something that child should be subjected to. I will add however that the humira injection is a painful one more so than a lot of other things. I would suggest doing it in the stomach instead of thighs.

PKponder TX Z7B thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • wildchild2x2
    7 years ago

I have known many people who have been needle phobic their entire lives but overcame their fears enough to deal when life and health issues depended on it. There is help available. People need to stop enabling her and get her into a program. I know Kaiser has them (DD had an adult fear of needles) and there are also psyche services for those that need more assistance.

The fear is real but it's her burden and responsibility to overcome it, not depend on a child.

PKponder TX Z7B thanked wildchild2x2
  • Related Discussions

Give Yourself Over to Absolute Pleasure

Q

Comments (3)
    Now HOW did I know this post was CALLing to me?!? LOL How exciting! I'm happy for you, Jen!! Let's see, if I get my Xeriscape Lemon Island cleared a bit, I'll bet I could have room for MORE pokeys! :) ~Rosemarie
    ...See More

What is that thing called so you can include yourself in pictures

Q

Comments (6)
    I did actually pick up a tripod in a second hand store. I've read up on using the self-timer. It's going to be a rather sharp learning curve for me, a lot of trial and error, but I'm confident I'll learn where to place the camera, the subjects and all that. Thank you.
    ...See More

Giving it a shot

Q

Comments (9)
    One of my favorite things to freeze and work with is left-over ham. I baked an entire ham for Easter recently. The following day I took the left-over dinner rolls and split them, spread mustard on one side and placed ham and a slice (actually half a slice since the dinner rolls were pretty small) of Swiss Cheese. Wrap these sandwiches in aluminum foil. I take a nice size chunk of aluminum foil and use the edge of the counter as a straight edge to make the pieces smaller to fit the dinner roll sandwiches. Wrap each sandwich and place in a slow cooker on LOW. Within the hour they are ready and can keep all day, depending on when people want to grab a snack. Next, I freeze slices, pieces & diced ham (for sandwiches, split pea and potato soup and au gratan potatoes.) The Au Gratan Recipe is probably my favorite. I just made it. It is so easy to do in the crock pot, and I swear the flavor is even better the next day. Ham & Au Gratans in the Crock Pot Slice about 3 cups of potatoes and dice one medium onion. Place in a crock pot that has either been lined with aluminum foil or a Reynolds Crock Pot Liner. In a large bowl: combine one can of cream of mushroom (sometimes I use cream of celery instead) 1 teaspoon garlic powder, at least two cups of shredded cheddar cheese and at least 1 cup of cut up ham (I usually use 2 cups) and 1/2 cup of water. Pour over potatoes and onions in the crock pot. Add pepper and mix with a wooden spoon. Cook on low for about 4 hours. It will be done when the potatoes are soft, so it depends on how thin you slice them. I have never tried freezing this recipe. I am leary of freezing cooked potatoes. I like having the rest of the ham on hand in the freezer instead of eating it everyday til it's gone. You'd be so sick of ham you wouldn't want it again for a long time. So next, it is time to make a turkey or something else for variety!
    ...See More

Give Yourself a . . . . . Feb 6, 2010

Q

Comments (9)
    Lydia, I really hope your heart gets into your lifestyle and it gets easier for you. Gadgets, way to go!!! I think it is so important not to have junk in the house. Luckily Ron is not bringing in that stuff, either. Kathi! Picking up meds and taking care of your insurance is a great thing to do for yourself. The goal is to love yourself enough to want to treat yourself with love and care. I realized that if I really loved and respected myself I wouldn't treat myself so shabbily by getting so overweight and out of shape. We are all on our way!!! Thanks for posting, everyone. It helps me stay on track!
    ...See More
  • Elmer J Fudd
    7 years ago

I hear what you say but I think there are people who are seriously needle- and blood- phobic.

I was an Army medic and among other basic things we had to learn the different types of injections, how to start and maintain IVs, and how to draw blood. We learned by practicing repeatedly on one another. There were several guys in my group of 35 who would consistently faint when blood was drawn or an IV started.

Was it psychosomatic or a psychological problem of some kind? I don't know.

PKponder TX Z7B thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    7 years ago

I think she needs to go back to her doctor and have another lesson. I just watched a video and it looks very similar to the Forteo injection pen - and the 'needle' is about the size of an eyelash. Video said same subcutaneous, it just goes under the skin, not like a deep injection administered by a medical professional. The drug would sting for a few seconds since it was cold, the pens are stored refrigerator.

I did the Forteo every night for 20 months. My training was: My endo had a saline filled pen, she tugged her waistband down, pinched a tiny roll of waistline fat (if you could even call it that with her trim fit tiny figure), injected herself. Then said, here's a new tip, now you do it. I did. Nothing to it, and I'd never given a shot to anyone in my life. I wonder if it wouldn't be easier if she did it herself, was in complete control of the very brief procedure. ie, if you came at me with eye drops, I'd reflexively blink. If I applied my own, no flinching. And my guess is, anybody could stand just about anything for a few seconds, even daily.

PKponder TX Z7B thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

I would definitely recommend that she try to do it in the belly, pinch an inch as they say, good to have some fat!, inject and massage right around the injection site during the injection and after. Helps the nerves. So many people think omg no not the stomach but seriously I have been injected every where and that's the least painful. She should get some instructions from the nurses or doctors as to what is the least painful methods. I have never iced the site and I take my meds cold right out of the fridge, some prefer to let it get to room temperature. There's different things to try but none would a child know!

• jemdandy
    7 years ago

I give myself an injection of long acting insulin once a day. I have been doing this since 1999.

PKponder TX Z7B thanked jemdandy
  • wantoretire_did
    7 years ago

I was nervous about giving DH heparin shot each day following surgery, but it had to be done, so I did it. Simple and painless with the 'pinch an inch' method in the belly.

PKponder TX Z7B thanked wantoretire_did
  • ghoghunter
    7 years ago

I injected myself years ago whenever I had a migraine. The sumatriptan at that point had to be injected before they changed to a pill form. The injections hurt like a bee sting because of the medicine but I did it myself. It was way less painful than the migraine. No child should have to inject her mother that is bizarre.

PKponder TX Z7B thanked ghoghunter
  • pcoats56
    7 years ago

I use Humira and I hate shots. It's very easy to use and it doesn't hurt. The first time is the worst because you don't know what to expect. I give mine in the stomach and it may sting a little but it's not painful.

PKponder TX Z7B thanked pcoats56
  • aok27502
    7 years ago

I have a strong dislike of needles. I wouldn't call it a fear, but they give me the willies. I'm OK if I don't have to watch. OTOH, it sounds like these are so small that they wouldn't bother me. An eyelash? Yeah, I could do that. Especially if I or someone close to me required it. Pinch an inch and poke? Take a deep breath and get it over with. I'm betting after the first few, it becomes old hat.

Not acceptable to ask a child to do this.

PKponder TX Z7B thanked aok27502
  • Adella Bedella
    7 years ago

My sister was laughing at me the other day because I used to cry over shots. I hate them. I finally got over needles when I had the babies. I don't have to have injections, but I'd do it if I had to. I used to have to give my old cat injections.

The mom needs to find a way to make it easier on herself. No 12 yo should be subjected to that.

PKponder TX Z7B thanked Adella Bedella
  • User
    7 years ago

It's called a "phobia" and while you don't have a problem with getting a needle, some people are terrified of them. Just as I'm terrified of heights and have serious panic attacks and can almost pass out at just the thought of being somewhere up high, others laugh at me and joyfully jog across high heights. I envy them. I don't understand the daily injection of Humira though. It's an extremely expensive injection and a former co-worker injects herself once every two or four weeks (I can't remember, but know it's not daily). One shouldn't judge others pain when I'm sure you react to pain with some things a lot differently from others.

PKponder TX Z7B thanked User
  • PKponder TX Z7B
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I appreciate all of your comments. I'm sure that it is an extreme phobia. My surprise stems from the fact that they expect the child to inject mom whiles she screams in pain. Of course, this is my neighbor's description of the situation, not first hand knowledge.

I am glad to know that the medication itself isn't terribly painful. I understand that on the first day, she had 4 injections of Humira. She spent about 6 weeks hospitalized, nearly blind and unable to walk. It took weeks to diagnose what was wrong with her. She is still only able to walk with a walker.

• sleeperblues
    7 years ago

Programs for people with needle phobias? Now I've heard everything. I can see the marketing-"Perfect for the wanna be heroin addict"

On the serious side, I see this frequently since my job entails starting IVs. It's mostly the young men that pass out. I would suggest she get one of those topical lidocaine patches before she injects. But that would ruin the fun for her, since she wouldn't have to carry on like a big baby.

PKponder TX Z7B thanked sleeperblues
  • jemdandy
    7 years ago

Follow instructions for injection sites. Different medications have different requirements. For example, slow acting insulin should be injected under the three layers of skin, but not in muscles. An easy way to do this is to grab a "love handle" and stick it in there. Pinching can be omitted for the new short needle (8 mm) provided you find an appropriate site.

Lab made insulin is PH balanced and should not cause any pain during injection. However, if the site was wiped with a generous swab of alcohol, it is possible for the needle to carry some of the alcohol (on the outside surface of the needle) into the injection, and WOW, that does sting. To prevent this, gentle dab the alcohol site with a clean tissue. Do not swipe or rub. One should guard from dragging contaminants into the sanitized region. The goal is to remove any liquid alcohol on the surface. Another way to avoid "alcohol sting" is to swipe the site first to permit drying time while preparing other items for injection. Use care not to contaminate the site while drying.

• Lynne_FL
    7 years ago

On a side note, I too had to inject myself for migraines, before oral drugs were available. I often had migraines at work. So I'd go into a stall in the women's washroom to inject my thigh. I often imagined that there would be a hullabaloo if anyone ever saw me, with them wondering what I was up to.

PKponder TX Z7B thanked Lynne_FL
  • Alisande
    7 years ago

I'm not familiar with that type of shot, but I gave myself B12 injections for months with an insulin needle. To say I procrastinated would be an understatement, but I watched a couple of videos and was pleasantly surprised when the process turned out to be quick and painless.

PKponder TX Z7B thanked Alisande
  • User
    7 years ago

Like you, Susan...when I first started glucose testing...I looked at that lancing device for a long...long...time before I finally worked up the guts to stick my finger. Now...it's old hat. But...I don't think it's an unnatural reaction. I had the same reaction when I had to use an Epipen some years ago. Unless one has a propensity for pain...it's against human nature to willingly cause yourself pain and the more we think about it...the more our imaginations heighten the expected pain. Once the act has been accomplished...we settle into an acceptance stage and go forward. But that first plunge is a terrifying thought to many of us.

As to the OP...I do not condone what that woman is requiring of that poor young child...no matter how frightened she is of needles. That woman [mother] needs to see a doctor and/or therapist for more than her diabetic injections. I would consider her demands of that child to be cruel and abusive treatment.

• pkramer60
    7 years ago

I was given the option of taking Humira for my RA but elected to go with IV infused Remicade. I was told that for some people, Humira can be painful to inject, giving a strong burning sensation. Some advised that the drug should be cold, others said to warm it up in water.

Under no circumstances should a 12 year old with issues be allowed to inject the drug. Mom needs to call her MD and ask for a nurse to do this for her daily or find someone else over 21 with training to handle the pen.

PKponder TX Z7B thanked pkramer60
  • User
    7 years ago

Sounds like your friend needs educational guidance.

I use Humira twice a month. The injection is practically pain-free. You don't even see the needle. Btw, Humira has to be kept cold.

My dh has a bit of a needle phobia, but he gets around it by not looking when he's injected. I had to give him daily shots prior to gallbladder surgery last year. I think that was actually harder for me than him. I'm much more comfortable using a Humira pen than a syringe.

• jemdandy
    7 years ago

The pain of lance picks (on the fingers) for blood testing can be reduced a bit. Prick the finger on the side at the edge of the finger pad. the finger pad is loaded with sensing nerves, but the nerve density thins out as one moves off the pad and toward the side of the finger.

• User
    7 years ago

You're so right, Jem. Fortunately...I learned that lesson within weeks when I first started testing. I bruise very easily and my finger tips were a lovely shade of dark blue after a week or two. Fortunately...testing on the side of the pad didn't produce the same effect. I'm so glad you posted this hint. So many new testers are never told about this option and it's so helpful.

• Renee Texas
    7 years ago

I agree that the 12 year old injecting her mom when the mom behaves as you describe is inappropriate. I would think her Dr. could do it each day if there was no other choice at this time, while they work on a longterm plan together. I used to do 2 shots 2x a day for a condition. It's no fun, but you learn to deal with it!

PKponder TX Z7B thanked Renee Texas
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

Important also to prick different fingers on both hands. Some fingers I don't feel at all some I feel a lot. I agree the edges are better than the center of the pad. I think one of the best thing any new diabetic can do is get their doctor to prescribe a very good diabetes education course. It should be covered by insurance with the prescription. You will learn so much essential information for the best methods to stick and lots of nutrition information. I have been through several and I always recommend it for all diabetics no matter how long you have been diagnosed, you will learn something new. Same thing with other diagnosis that require special treatment like injection.

• marcopolo5
    7 years ago

My grandson had to use Humira for years to try and cure his Crohns. It was a very unpleasant injection. He was a tough kid having many hospital stays, and all that goes with having a chronic illness. The Humira was the one he had the most pain from. He had surgery and his recovery is amazing.

PKponder TX Z7B thanked marcopolo5
  • User
    7 years ago

I talked to our pharmacy staff and they said there is no way she is getting a $1600.00 shot once a day. Maybe once every two weeks but not every day.

• User
    7 years ago

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

That was a big question in my mind too. I wonder if the whole thing was exaggerated to PK Ponder I don't know if they do those shots daily?

• matthias_lang
    7 years ago

From drugs.com

Adult Crohn’s Disease

The
    recommended HUMIRA dose regimen for adult patients with Crohn’s disease
    (CD) is 160 mg initially on Day 1 (given as four 40 mg injections in one
    day or as two 40 mg injections per day for two consecutive days),
    followed by 80 mg two weeks later (Day 15). Two weeks later (Day 29)
    begin a maintenance dose of 40 mg every other week. Aminosalicylates
    and/or corticosteroids may be continued during treatment with HUMIRA.
    Azathioprine, 6-mercaptopurine (6-MP) [see Warnings and Precautions (5.2)]
    or MTX may be continued during treatment with HUMIRA if necessary. The
    use of HUMIRA in CD beyond one year has not been evaluated in controlled
    clinical studies.

Pediatric Crohn’s Disease

The
    recommended HUMIRA dose regimen for pediatric patients 6 years of age
    and older with Crohn’s disease (CD) is based on body weight as shown
    below:
    Pediatric Patients
    Induction Dose
    Maintenance Dose
    Starting at Week 4 (Day 29)
    17 kg (37 lbs) to < 40 kg (88 lbs)

• 80 mg on Day 1 (administered as two 40 mg injections in one day); and
    • 40 mg two weeks later (on Day 15)
    • 20 mg every other week

≥ 40 kg (88 lbs)

• 160 mg on Day 1 (administered as four injections in one day or as two 40 mg injections per day for two consecutive days); and
    • 80 mg two weeks later (on Day 15) (administered as two 40 mg injections in one day)
    • 40 mg every other week
    PKponder TX Z7B thanked matthias_lang
  • matthias_lang
    7 years ago

And yes, Humira injections can hurt very much.

PKponder TX Z7B thanked matthias_lang
  • PKponder TX Z7B
    Original Author
    7 years ago

As I've mentioned several times, this is a situation relayed to me by the neighbor who is the patient's mother, not firsthand experience. I am not a physician or pharmacist nor do I play one on the internet.

I just couldn't imagine tasking a child with her own physical and emotional limitations with injecting her mother who was obviously not handling the injections well.

I'm kind of sorry that I even posted in the first place in light of Debbie ABs attempts to discredit what I've asked.

• trancegemini_wa
    7 years ago

I used to have a terrible phobia with needles and would often pass out with blood tests (embarrassing!) but I had to get over it. I get blood tests a few times a year and it doesn't really bother me anymore because I learned to deal with it mentally. Although I still have an issue with needles in my mouth for dental work, so my last 3 fillings were done without anesthetic. It's somewhat uncomfortable but preferable for me than having a needle jabbed in my mouth.

I have seen people behave in that over the top way at the blood test place though, wailing, come out of the room crying and I'm like "seriously?". Even when I was terrified of needles I never did that, I just hate making a scene. I agree with others that it sounds like there is a bit of enabling going on here, and she may be making the injections out to be much worse than they are. It sounds horrible that the young daughter has to do the injection while the mother behaves like this since she is likely learning that needles are incredibly painful from watching her mother.

PKponder TX Z7B thanked trancegemini_wa
  • User
    7 years ago

It's Debby_ab (with a y, I've always hated it with ie....), and seriously, just because someone says something, doesn't make it true. A simple google search of the drug tells a lot and people do lie, exaggerate etc., which is why I asked our pharmacy staff. The looks on their faces when I told them this. I wish I had taken a picture. Also, do you honestly believe a 12 year old autistic child is giving the drug? Really? I'm sorry, but I think someone pulled the wool over your eyes.