SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
4kids4us

Speaking of tips, why do people do this?

4kids4us
7 years ago

Some of you here may do this, so perhaps you can answer.

Today I went to lunch with a group. To make it easy, we had the check split evenly and all of us used credit cards to pay (I had cash, but only $20s so decided to pay credit to make it easier since everyone else was). We all then included our own tip on the tip line. I noticed that two of the women rounded their tips so that the final charge to their card was an even, so for instance, if the bill was $23.88, their tip was $4.12 so Here cards were charged $28. I just gave $5.

I have never really understood why people do this because then the server is getting small change/pennies. I always round mine up to the nearest dollar. I understand with tip jars...I know a lot of people just dump the change from their transaction, and obviously it's better getting something than nothing, and often times $1.00 is too much of a tip so getting the change eventually adds up. But I've never understood why people make their tips such that the final charge is always right on the dollar so that the server then gets all the change instead of dollars (or at least make it so the total is in quarter increments, not pennies, nickels and dimes!). When possible, I also try to leave the tip as cash.

so just curious, do you also tip this way? Is it just not something you ever thought about or is there something I'm missing? I guess as a former waitress (one summer, hated it), it's something I pay attention to when I tip.

Comments (37)