SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
limeandlemon5

Cucumbers - why I love them and tips on how to grow them

limeandlemon5
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I have a "deck" garden. I planted all my veggies and herbs in pots, and now there taking up the whole deck. One of my favorite plants on my deck is my cucumber plants. I have two of them, (there the slicing breed) and there in a long (two feet) green planter. My cucumber plants spread all over the deck, which is kind of awesome. That means I get many more cucumbers. cucumbers grow so fast, so you will be harvesting cucumbers before you know it. Some kinds of cucumbers, like mine, reproduce. I harvested about eight cucumbers from one plant and five from the other, and about a week after I harvested the last one (I thought It was the last one) I saw five female flowers with mini cucumbers. I haven't harvested any of the second batch yet, but they will be ready to harvest in a couple of days.

Plant your cucumber plants in mid May to late May for best results. Plant them when the ground is at least 70 degrees, at least two weeks after the last first date. Water them once a day, unless it needs more or less. Do not water the leaves, as the leaves can get diseases if you do. You can use a trellis so the cucumbers can clime up the trellis. You get straighter fruit this way and sometimes you get bigger vines. Don't use trellises for bush varieties, bush cucumbers are best for raised beds and not planters. Burpless means that they have thin skin andd are easy to digest.

I love cucumbers because you can use them in cooking, or just eat it by itself. Either way, garden fresh cucumbers are the way to go.

Comment

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor