SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donna_loomis

Lead?!?!?! Are you Kidding me?

donna_loomis
7 years ago

Reno doesn't start until later next month. Got a letter in the mail yesterday from the contractor with very helpful information about getting ready for the job (getting stuff out of cabinets, storing stuff, setting up an alternate space for a makeshift kitchen in the interim), what to expect during the job and after. Then, the kicker. The last page, in large bold letters, "Your house was built before 1978". Says we have to have an inspection for lead and if found, he will not be doing the job. Do you not think it would have been courteous/ethical to let us know of this possibility BEFORE we gave you money? I mean, he KNEW how old the house was when he met with us (several times). DH and I were so mad last night, neither one of us slept well. If lead IS found that would mean a significant increase in cost to the job and even the possibility of this might have impacted our decision to even do the reno.

We got lucky. DH had someone come out today ($360) to do the test. Now one wall in EVERY room of the house is missing some paint. The guy found zero lead. But I'm still angry that this possibility wasn't presented to us and I'm wondering if I'm going to be "in a state" every time something negative comes up, which I've been told is the norm.

Comments (25)