SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emerogork2

I don't know the name but I want more...

emerogork
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

(This is my third attempt to post this, the first two failed. I hope all three do not show up here)

It comes back reliably every year. Looks great and has a long bloom time. It produces seeds but rarely germinate on their own. I cannot move the plant without killing it. The crown produces a few 3' tall woody stalks and they usually stand on their own but occasionally seems to like support.

Today, I gathered seeds from it and want to grow more plants. Is it possible to set these into pots this year to have plants before the winter? If the seeds need to go through a winter then maybe I can refrigerate/freeze them.

Yes/No?

Comments (16)

• cecily
    7 years ago

Malva sylvestris. Seeds don't require stratification.

• docmom_gw
    7 years ago

They are beautiful, and usually are quite easy to start from seed. Have you tried winter sowing? Visit the forum.

• gardenweed_z6a
    7 years ago

Mallow tends to pop up here and there with no help from me. I generally let it do its thing since the pollinators like it.

• rginnie
    7 years ago

I had some of these with a bit of a stripe in it. Some of the seed "flew" to the base of one of my clothesline poles and sprouted there and came up there several years in a row. I'm sure the mower did it in, cuz I no longer see it and its pretty blooms.

• User
    7 years ago

No, not sylvestris with those finely cut leaves - malva moschata. Can be had in white too. Better behaved than m.sylvestris to my mind (I grow many mallows). Yep, the seeds germinate without winter stratification so you should sow them as soon as they are ripe for small plants to overwinter.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    7 years ago

Yes, it's Malva moschata, as Campanula, says. Apart from the difference in the leaves the flowers are larger and more angular than M sylvestris.

• emerogork
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Interesting that I never received notices of these posts until someone clicked on "Like". Yes, I believe it is Malva moschata. Apparently it is in the Hollyhock family. This does not grow on a stalk as the Hollyhock does.

Is the picture here the Malva sylvestris that was mentioned? It is just as attractive but is a lot more prolific. Many flowers growing directly off the stalk as opposed to the original post where they grow from ends of branches. This one grows about 3' tall at best and has a nice long time bloom as well.

• emerogork
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yep, the seeds germinate without winter stratification so you should sow
    them as soon as they are ripe for small plants to overwinter.

(Correct me if I have this wrong) With the Malva sylvestris, it self sows almost to excess but it is easily controlled. With the Malva moschata, it self sows rarely.

It is suggested that Malva moschata is easily propagated. If it is so, then why does it not germinate its own seed around the original plant?

I have Malva moschata seeds now that dried on the plant. Can I grow them now in pots to set out next spring? What technique can I use to get them to grow where I would like then to be?

• emerogork
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Mallow tends to pop up here and there with no help from me. I generally let it do its thing since the pollinators like it.

Mallow?

• sunnyborders
    7 years ago

Further to Malva (mallows): there's the related and similar Lavatera (tree mallows).

Annual Lavatera trimesters cultivars are more compact than Malva sylvestris and especially M. moschata. They're extremely easy to grow from seed and make good perennial garden fillers in my experience.

Perennial Lavatera cashmeriana (Kashmiri tree mallow) is great for filling in large out-of-the-way spaces. Have not found it difficult to manage (self-seeding, tidiness).

• emerogork
    Original Author
    7 years ago

This is really getting annoying. Since I am not receiving any responses to my messages anywhere in this forum, is there at least a way that I can see messages posted to my threads by clicking in one location somewhere? Other web sites have it... Is there a list of messages that I have left that I can see if there are any responses?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    7 years ago

If you click on your user name above any post you have made you can them click on 'Activity' and you'll see a list of your recent activity. There's also a heading for 'Messages' but I can't tell you if that works because I don't do messaging.

• User
    7 years ago

I am enjoying a smaller lavatera-like endlessly flowering shrub this year - anisodontea 'El Royo' (a capensis hybrid, I think). A terrific performer.

• gardenweed_z6a
    7 years ago

emerogork - Malva/mallow. I was referring to the common name (mallow) in my above post. Malva is the botannical name. Sorry I wasn't more specific.

• sunnyborders
    7 years ago

Thanks. Looked it up Camp and saw a great prospect.

Then saw USDA zones 8-9 for Anisodontea capensis.

I am very happy with our own perennial gardening climate. And can't expect to have everything!