SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ann9bnapa

Best rose photos from wine country

Ann9BNCalif
7 years ago

It's going to be in the high 80s this coming week near Napa Valley - a relief after the high 90s and 100s from last week. Here are some roses from last week's high temps.

Mercury Rising does ok in high heat but the edges get fried and it doesn't last too long. I'm hoping with the high 80s, the blooms will last longer.

Mercury Rising again blooming in a cluster, but it also produces individual stems that can be cut for the vase. Slightly fragrant even in high heat.

Classic Woman is a newly purchased rose, still in her pot. So far I really like her form, fragrance, and heat resistance. It opens slowly and lasts quite long. Haven't cut it yet to bring inside but I think it will be great! Not thrip resistant but better than PJPII and other thrip magnets.

Frances Meilland is another new rose still in a pot, healthy and fragrant. I was familiar with this rose as having a high center based on photos I took at nurseries. Because of the heat, the blooms are opening quickly and flattening out. I hope to see the high center when the weather cools off.

Mitsouko is impervious to heat and really blooms a lot when well watered.

Lady Emma Hamilton never stops producing buds and blooms but in the highest heat, blooms last a day or two. In normal heat, blooms last three to four days. It keeps its fragrance in the high heat.

Abraham Darby had one last bloom just before the very high heat.

Charles Rennie Macintosh has a bloom flush about once a month. It does live up in color (at least in my yard) to being a mauve/lavender rose.

Strawberry Hill's blooms are getting bigger with each flush, hope he takes off next year and becomes a true climber.

I cut every flower I could find that wasn't fried yesterday for this bouquet. I gave it to my friend's mom who had a 90th birthday party! Hope I can do the same for my mom's 90th next year.

The pink rose in the front is Nicole Carol Miller, Mercury Rising is to the left, and All American Magic, the striped rose in on top.

Thanks for checking out the photos!

Ann

Comments (14)