SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
srb2398061

Porch floor problems

Anglophilia
7 years ago

My 1948 house has an attached porch. It is not the typical flat roof porch - this one is under the roof of the 1 1/2 story house and has attic above the ceiling. I'm assuming it was originally a screened porch, but when we bought the house 32 years ago, it had sliders and a small gas furnace in the wall. It also had the world's most awkward door. The doorway is next to the fireplace at the end of the living room and it opened directly in front of the 5 ft doorway into the DR which has French doors. What were they thinking!

While having remodeling done, we had the door rehung so it opens out onto the porch- much better. As for that gas furnace: gas line ran outside around the house, corroded and gas company shut it off. While saving to fix that, lightning struck the fan motor and fried the whole thing. Goodbye heat! Several years later, I had hard wired baseboard heat installed. All my big outdoor plants come in for the winter and I have recently redone the furniture. I'm having a beadboard ceiling installed in a few weeks as textured plaster has cracks.

The floor is brick over a concrete slab (I'm assuming) as the basement stops at the common wall.

I've been sitting out there a lot and realized that there are substantial cracks (uneven floor now) in two different parts of this small porch. I have no idea how long they've been there - really had not noticed or paid attention. They don't bother me, nor is anyone going to trip on the uneven surface, but in a few years when they cart me away and my children sell, this will be a problem.

Is there a way to use some sort of leveling agent and then tile the floor with big square Vermont slate tiles? Removing the floor would destroy the slab and replacing it would be costly and involve supports to hold up the attic and roof. That is NOT happeningi!

Any suggestions?

Comment