SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheilajoyce_gw

Zucchini

sheilajoyce_gw
7 years ago

Son's first garden at the home they purchased a year ago is producing, and he has too much zucchini from only one plant. He asked me if I could use some as he and DIL are joining us for dinner tomorrow night and they could pick some for me. I told him I would take some off his hands. I love zucchini bread and zucchini cake. The cake is kind of like carrot cake and it is iced with Philadelphia Cream Cheese frosting. MMMMMMMM. And then I am thinking of stuffed zucchini boats. My aunt used to make delicious stuffed zucchini, but I don't have that recipe. She probably never wrote it down anyway.

Comments (24)

• PKponder TX Z7B
    7 years ago

Don't you just love the bounty of summer? I am a grilled zucchini with marinara lover!

• Fun2BHere
    7 years ago

I like it spiralized with a raw sauce or in a salad.

• pkramer60
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Here is a favorite side dish we love.Helen's zucchini casserole

You can also freeze sliced/grated zucchini for use in the winter. I make up a zip bag with onion, zucc and some extra tomatoes from the garden. Freeze and when ready, just dump into a pot with some garlic and more tomato sauce and simmer until done. Or just zip some up and use for soups.

• caflowerluver
    7 years ago

How about using a zucchini spiralizer and make noodles to use in all kinds of hot and cold recipes. If I grew as much zucchini like I use to, I would get one. You can make zucchini pickles. Just use any cucumber pickle recipe and substitute zucchini.

• pkramer60
    7 years ago

I know someone that make zucchini candy for the g-kids, and they love it!

gummi-candies

• angelaid_gw
    7 years ago

I just bookmarked this recipe yesterday: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/241422/easy-zucchini-fritters/

• phyllis__mn
    7 years ago

Angelaid, I made those yesterday, and they are really good. I'm not a zucchini fan but do buy, and slice, a couple of small ones and saute with onions. SIL loves the fritters, so I thought I would try them, and was pleasantly surprised.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    7 years ago

Now I know I'm unhealthy, as if there was a doubt, fried zucchini is what came to mind-that hasn't been mentioned. I do also love it grilled with Asian seasoning, though.

• Georgysmom
    7 years ago

Sheila, I have a recipe for zucchini boats stuffed with ground beef and can't remember what else that a neighbor gave me years ago. I finally got around to making it a few months ago and it was just okay. Wouldn't make it again. If you really are interested I will look to see if I still have it....might have thrown it out. However, I tried the following recipe last week and really liked it:

Crustless Zucchini Pie

1 large onion, finely chopped 2 cloves garlic, grated 1/4 C oil 1/2 C grated parmesan cheese 4 eggs, beaten 1 T. minced fresh parsley 3C. grated zucchini 1 C. Bisquick 1 C. shredded cheddar

Mix first 6 ingredients together. Stir in Bisquick, zucchini, and cheddar. Bake 350 degrees 35 - 45 minutes until golden brown. (I also sautéed 1 link of sweet Italian sausage, cut up and 1 link of hot Italian sausage cut up and added it to the batter ) Was also good reheated.

• kathleen44
    7 years ago

There are lots of things you can do with zucchini and you can grate it up and freeze to put into all kinds of things.

My mother would bread zucchini fingers and they were so tasty.

Small zucchini, love the zucchini boats.

• Jasdip
    7 years ago

Georgysmom, how wonderful to see you again!!!!! I've missed you!

Aside from leaving zucchini on neighbouring porches, or in strangers cars, I make a great zucchini-chocolate cake. The zucchini is shredded and gives extra moisture and texture to the cake. Everyone loves it, and we particularly love it with ice cream.

• marilyn_c
    7 years ago

I've made the zucchini fritters too, and they're good. I like it sliced and fried, stuffed or sauteed in olive oil and served over linguini with some mozzarella over the top. I saute a few onions with them and sometimes mushrooms too.

• Rusty
    7 years ago

I am really fond of a summer squash side dish I make. Sorry, I can't give exact amounts of anything, it depends on how many people will be eating, and how many squash I have.

Dice and fry until crisp several slices of bacon. Remove from pan & set aside, leaving a Tbsp or so of grease in the pan.

Slice squash* lengthwise into quarters, then slice quarters into bite-sized chunks. Add to grease in pan, sauté until tender. (Can add some diced onion here, if you like)

Add 1 can diced tomatoes, simmer until tomatoes are heated through, and squash is tender. Add bacon back into it and serve immediately. Be sure to wait until just before serving to add the bacon, so it will still have some crispiness to it.

*Squash: zucchini, yellow summer squash, patty-pan (scallop), all are good this way. A mixture of equal amounts of any 2 of them or all three, makes a very attractive dish.

I don't add any seasonings, except a little pepper, as the bacon & the canned tomatoes have plenty of salt for me, and I personally like the flavors of the squash & bacon, without any added seasonings.

ETA: Leftovers keep well in the refrigerator, except the bacon will no longer be crispy, but it will still taste good.

Rusty

• angelaid_gw
    7 years ago

I love zucchini and mushrooms sauteed in butter. Yum!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    7 years ago

I always use zucchini on my kabobs, along with pieces of onion, pepper, and mushrooms. It's great with any kind of meat and marinade.

• User
    7 years ago

Zucchini-Feta Frittata from Simply Recipes.

• Georgysmom
    7 years ago

Thanks, Jas....had some health issues.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    7 years ago

We've had zucchini in various dishes, every day for two weeks. I tried to give a couple of large ones away to relatives this week-end, and no one would take them. Tonight I made zucchini 'lasagna' with one of them. I didn't use a recipe, but used canned spaghetti sauce, ground beef, sliced mushrooms (sauteed in the skillet after the beef was removed), and shredded cheese, layered with thin slices of the zucchini, cut length-wise, and baked at 400° for about 30 minutes. Very good.

We haven't had it in candy yet, so I'll have to try the gummi candy, with the grandson.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    7 years ago

We are making the zucchini candy--the zucchini is simmering in the flavored syrup as I type. I gave my grandson his choice of drink mix flavors and he chose grape. Ick--it's kind of a grayish-green color, but I'm sure it will taste ... like grape Kool-Aid. It needs to be dehydrated, so I'll let you know how it turns out.

• anoriginal
    7 years ago

You don't HAVE to cook zukes... can be eaten raw. I'd make sure all the "fuzzy has been washed off outside, though eating probably is not bad for ya at all. It's about the time in summer where they are taking over like aliens from outer space. If you missed on hiding today, by tomorrow afternoon it'll be the size of a baseball bat! If they are large, I split length-wise and scoop out seeds... make a little boat.

f you have space in freezer, could grate up, measure out and freeze in portions just right for a loaf of zucchini bread later on.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    Original Author
    7 years ago

My son came with two largish zucchini for me this weekend. He says they eat zucchini at dinner every day, but their one plant is delivering more squash than they can handle. So I plan to bake a zucchini cake, which is a lot like carrot cake, and frost it with Philadelphia Cream Cheese icing. Mmmmmm.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    7 years ago

I can't get my pics to download from the camera (the kids have been using it to take pics of the new baby, and must have changed some setting), but the candy is finished. It was in the dehydrator all night, so tastes like Kool-aid flavored fruit leather. Something kids would like, but I'd rather have the real thing. The color isn't so bad now--just kind of brown, but purple-ish if you hold a pieces up to the light. My grandson learned how to use an ulu and a vegetable peeler, so it was a good experience.

I just finished a late lunch salad of cherry tomatoes, zucchini slices, and shredded cheddar cheese. Yum.

ETA, pic. It tastes better than it looks, lol.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!