SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
themadhedger

Buddleia - problems with the tips of some shoots on year old cuttings

themadhedger
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I have two Buddleia Davidii cuttings (cut last year from a friend's bush) that have been growing
extremely well this year, but a month or so ago some of the new growing tips on one of the cuttings developed a
problem where the very tip of the growing shoot (and its tiny leaves)
died, turned brown and dry and the shoot stopped growing. The other cutting is fine (and it's only a few feet away from the affected plant). The growing shoots reached well over 12 inches
in length before this browning happened. There is one good, unaffected growing shoot left on the affected plant and this looks great as it's flowering well. The remaining affected shoots are much shorter but otherwise look healthy.

As the cuttings are less than a year old there are three main long new shoots per cutting.

The affected growing tips would have eventually formed flower buds (as the unaffected ones have done) and also grown much longer.

On average the new growth is
about 18 to 25 inches long while the affected shoots are half that.

However, the affected shoots formed new side shoots due to me nipping off the dead growth, and I've just noticed that some of these new shoots also have the same problem.

Any ideas what may be causing this growth tip problem please?

Thanks

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH