Essential Oils for Fleas and Ticks on Dogs?
10 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (16)
- 10 years ago
Related Discussions
Problems with Frontline Flea Control
Comments (105)PLEASE TAKE MY ADVICE AND DO NOT USE FRONTLINE ON YOUR PET!!! It will KILL them!! Maybe not right away, but the effects it has on them can last for quite a while. This applies to heartworm medications as well! Our beloved dog Einstein was treated with Frontline before he was a year old, based on a recommendation of my Vet. I figured the Vet would know if there were any issues with this product and would not recommend anything that was bad (poisonous!) for our dog. After the treatment, he developed a huge sore on his back (at the treatment site) that did not go away for months. This was just the beginning. He began having asthma type symptom's after that. I knew exactly what had caused the problems. We only had Einy for six years when suddenly he got much worse and we took him into the Vet. They determined that he had cancer, but without opening him up, they could not determine exactly what organ was affected. Within a week of diagnosis, he died in my husbands arms. It was devastating! I would urge that people stand together to BAN this medication! This should not be on the market. Read all the warnings listed on the internet about this product. Give your dog or cat a bath. Fleas drown within a few minutes of being submerged. It is better than losing your pet like we did....See MoreOrganic essential oils for hom and garden/sylviatexas
Comments (5)I just noted that I wrote I wasnt putting a essential oil recipe in there for cleaning wooden floors, but there is one in there. Note though, that I havent ever used that recipe as I dont have wood floors, so I cant 100% say it wont take the shine off. If you want to try it, just do a test spot in a hidden area. Also, I dont know if I can give people my e-mail address if they want a printable version of this? Or my environmental group on myspace? Can I? Will someone please tell me so that I can put this info down if someone wants me to send them out a printable copy? Oh, and sorry it took me so long to get this up online sylviatexas! Thanks, sammie...See MoreNo fleas, but areas on dog's body get hot
Comments (88)I can almost guarantee it's an issue related to the heart or the blood circulation in a specific area. I saw another post on here from someone that said it could be related to blood circulation or issues with the heart or chest, and that their dog was diagnosed with congestive heart failure, which, my dog has these heated spots as well and also recently got diagnosed with congestive heart failure and fluid retention in the lungs and abdomen. The heat is extremely hot to the touch, like, really really hot at the base of my dogs shoulder blades and migrates down his left side and then around his rump. He does have a weight issue, which is related to the congestive heart failure, and an enlarged heart, and this heating only happens when he's resting, which to me would hint at it being related to blood circulation because his heart has to work harder then he's resting. My advice to anyone that's worrying about this overly heated area: get some x-rays done. Mind everyone else - if it's a warm area where: your dog is itching (or chewing) on their fur relentlessly, is starting to get a wet, balding, or raw look due to scratching their fur out, and may possibly even be causing itself to bleed due to the amount of itching.... Then you have a hot spot. It can be due to skin conditions, fleas, allergies, or even just bad habits or anxiety. You can shave the fur around the spot if it's starting to look raw or wet-like, keep the area clean, and you can also put a shirt on the dog (if they're getting to it by scratching) or a cone on their head (if by chewing) to keep them away from it until you can get them to the vet to treat it. Hope this helps you and your fur buddies, and good luck to everyone!...See MoreEssential Oils as pest control - anyone?
Comments (3)I've made lemon balm mosquito repellent by soaking lemon balm leaves in witch hazel and then adding a few drops of mint or lemon grass essential oils. I can't remember the exact recipe right now. I made it last year. It works but not as well as deet. You have to apply it more often. However, deet is poison. Maybe try lemon plant and mint oils in your pumper sprayer....See More- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Stories

COMMUNITYDesigned for Dogs: 5 Fantastic Dog Parks Across the U.S.
Let your favorite pooch run wild at one of these specially designed public spaces. Not close by? Learn how to start a dog park yourself
Full Story
MOST POPULAR8 Backyard Ideas to Delight Your Dog
Cue the joyous soundtrack. These pet-friendly landscape and garden ideas will keep your pooch safe, happy and well exercised outdoors
Full Story
PETSRoom of the Day: Laundry Room Goes to the Dogs
Muddy paws are no problem in this new multipurpose room
Full Story
PETSHouzz Pets Survey: Who Rules the House — Dogs or Cats?
New data shows that pets make people happy, and pet owners love spending big to return the favor
Full Story
PETSWhat Chihuahuas Can Teach Us About Interior Design
Who knew these tiny dogs could be such a huge fount of design tips? Houzzers did
Full Story
CRAFTSMAN DESIGNMy Houzz: Small-Space Living in a Restored Bungalow
See how this homeowner celebrates his personal style, his flea market finds and the heritage of his 1919 Long Beach home
Full Story
THE HARDWORKING HOME8 Laundry Room Ideas to Watch For This Year
The Hardworking Home: A look at the most popular laundry photos in 2014 hints that dog beds, drying racks and stackable units will be key
Full Story
LIFEHow to Keep Your Pets Safe During the Holidays
To avoid an unwanted trip to the vet, be aware of these holiday-related hazards for dogs and cats
Full Story
PETSGarden Alert: 22 Plants to Keep Away From Pets
Avoid potential danger by keeping dogs and cats away from these landscaping and houseplant favorites
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESGreat Compositions: The Dogtrot House
Historic breeze-capturing design inspires smart house plans for today
Full Story
ravencajun Zone 8b TX