SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jack_karie

Ducting Cold Air Returns in Basement

DIY Guy
7 years ago

1960ish mobile home, single wide, affixed to walk-out basement. Full size furnace in center of home in basement next to water heater with draft vent. Both run on LPG. Furnace does not draw fresh air from outdoors.

Currently there are no cold air returns in the basement. However, there are a large number of heat ducts fighting to heat the living room, bedroom, and bathroom in the basement. My concern is that installing cold air returns could overpower the air pressure in the furnace room and suck the water heater draft into the cold air returns. I have been thinking up some alternatives so this does not happen.

I think my best option would be to use a forced air exhaust motor for the water heater and install a furnace that plumbs fresh air in from outside. However, neither of these are in our budget.

I have two questions. Shall the cold air ducting be the same size or smaller than the heat ducts to keep airflow from overcoming the water heater draft? And can I use the flexible type of round ducting? This is because there is very little clearance between the steel home chassis and cinder block walls around the furnace room. Also, I would have the cold air returns atleast 12-15ft away from the furnace room.

In my opinion, I think the water heater draft design and furnace system which relies on combustion air from inside the home is unsafe.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21