SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kfpwvt

Lower cabinet only charging, desk/personal stuff

kfpwvt
7 years ago

I want a kitchen space for my daily "desk" stuff. I have an office so it is not a bill paying, serious work, storage place. But I am a big reader, paper and technology person. I keep my laptop on the counter now and I have an iPhone and iPad that charge in the kitchen. I plan a charging drawer for those and over time if the laptop dies I'd probably just use the iPad and maybe have a stand for it to be out on the counter but look nice. But I also always have a bit of a "to do" stack that ends up in the kitchen (things I want to make calls on that day, note pad, a few magazines or catalogs sometimes a cookbook but moving that all to my iPad -- Paprika is a great recipe organizer that syncs phone/ipad/computer and is easy to save online recipes too). I had originally planned for a hideaway space with a hutch style cabinet with doors that tuck away (matching one on the other side for dishes) but due to some issues with the windows conflicting with an existing porch overhang (key feature of the kitchen -- view) - the windows need to shift off center so I'll have a hutch on one side and all window no uppers on the other side of the sink. The hutch is near the living room/dinning room so makes sense for dishes, glasses, serving etc. I could still take a section (it is 3 cabinets wide) for my hideaway office but the window corner is really the best place but i need to be organized and tucked away there. I lost the hideaway cabinet but gained that I have all windows and a view in front of my computer/ipad/stuff space.

Current plan is a stool (open knee space) with some drawers to tuck away my stuff. I might give up the stool, in which case it would be standing computer use with stow away space under for charging/papers/to do pile/pens etc. Plan is 31 inches for stool area with one shallow pencil drawer and maybe a drawer or 2 of the cabinet next to it (22 inches) for my papers/stuff/charging.

Does any one have some good examples or ideas for hiding away some paper organization, personal stuff in lower cabinets only? I don't need keys (mudroom), mail (mudroom to office), calendar (on ipad/iphone), bulletin board (mud room but pretty empty now that the kids are in college) type "command center" stuff but I still have some magazines, catalogs, notebooks, papers I need to make calls on while I'm downstairs (trying to get all digital but still have a pile of stuff) active use type stuff that end up in that space. Plus my camera, charger, sunglasses, chapstick, lenses, pencils and desk type stuff that is nice to have downstairs.

I need some sort of organization in a lower cabinet. A charging drawer and a drawer with some after market drawer organizers might do it but I was wondering if there were any clever ideas. Vertical slots? Inbox organization in a drawer? File cabinet sized but used for more short term vertical storage (to do hanging folder?, magazine folder?, tuck a cookbook I'm currently reading in there. What about a cabinet that opens into a accessible organization space next to me when I sit at in the stool (like the pantry lowers that divide the space into stuff on the door and inner organizer that can swing out?) .

Thoughts on a stool space? It is an aging in place design so maybe I'd need to sit more as I age and not want to move to the island if I want to sit. And it would be in a corner with a window in front and to the side with a great view -- so perhaps it would be a place I'd sit a lot and drink my tea and read the news....

I currently stand with a laptop on the counter and my stuff in one drawer, iPad and iPhone on the counter charging. But usually end up with a stack of papers and other stuff on the counter too. In the current location that isn't too bad (somewhat hidden by the refrigerator) but it is a great place to work but really front and center to have my hub be in the window/view corner.

Anyone do cool custom laptop/ipad stands to match cabinetry?

wondering if something like this but narrower might somehow be made to have vertical to do bins etc. Maybe drawers inside instead of more shelves but vertical slots, magazine rack type space might be better than drawers (bit drawers can always be repurposed to other uses).

Traditional Kitchen · More Info

Lower cabinet

https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-traditional-kitchen-phvw-vp~11679299

Comments (6)